Author Topic: Playmobil in Sears catalogue (Canada)  (Read 2936 times)

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
Playmobil in Sears catalogue (Canada)
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:00:39 »
I was browsing through the new Sears Canada catalogue and was I surprised when I saw some Playmobil in it! 
Here the link: http://www.sears.ca/catalog/playmobil/1100200-100001929
There are only 9 sets - none of which I am really interested in getting - but I hope lots of kids (and other collectors) are going to buy them so Sears will expand their range of playmo product.  It'd be even better if they carried some of the "mass market exclusives"!

David

Offline Mina

• Playmo Fanatic
    • our Playmoblog
Re: Playmobil in Sears catalogue (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:43:06 »
Finally!!

no, I'm not angry against Canadian Playmobil sales ;) ... but... I've always been disappointed when I've been visiting my family thes last 5 years, as there are really few shops where you can buy our favourite toy!

GO GO GO GO GO!!
I don't wanna grow up!

http://playmolocle.romandie.com/ -- our Playmoworld

http://moonymina.deviantart.com/ -- my non-playmo creations

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 15:24:29 »
... but... I've always been disappointed when I've been visiting my family thes last 5 years, as there are really few shops where you can buy our favourite toy!

Hi Mina, Toys-R-Us Canada sells Playmobil - including a few of the "exclusive" sets (like 5895 & 5898) - but not all of them >:( 
Maybe there's a TRU near where you visit?  If you haven't already, you could also try PM Canada's "Find a dealer" search to find a nearby toy shop - though it's not that up-to-date.

David

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 16:22:41 »
Thanks for the tip BlueWizard.

I checked the Sears.copm dite for US stores. There are none near me with a toy department yet, but plenty in California. We'll have to see if they put a toy department in other stores.

For Sears to get my business they need to tick at least one of the following boxes:

1. Can I get any Playmobil sets at Sears that I can't get elsewhere?

Currently no. They need to get some Sears exclusives.

2. Can I get any Playmobil sets cheaper at Sears?

No, they seem a little overpriced ($3.99 for a Special), or matching the Playmobil.com website prices.

3. Is it more convenient to shop at Sears, so that I'll pay a slight premium for convenience?

No, no stores near me have a Toy Department, and if I'm shopping online there are better options.

So it's good to know they carry Playmobil, but they need to be more competitive.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 17:41:43 »
Thanks for the tip BlueWizard.

I checked the Sears.copm dite for US stores. There are none near me with a toy department yet, but plenty in California. We'll have to see if they put a toy department in other stores.

For Sears to get my business they need to tick at least one of the following boxes:

1. Can I get any Playmobil sets at Sears that I can't get elsewhere?

Currently no. They need to get some Sears exclusives.

2. Can I get any Playmobil sets cheaper at Sears?

No, they seem a little overpriced ($3.99 for a Special), or matching the Playmobil.com website prices.

3. Is it more convenient to shop at Sears, so that I'll pay a slight premium for convenience?

No, no stores near me have a Toy Department, and if I'm shopping online there are better options.

So it's good to know they carry Playmobil, but they need to be more competitive.

HI

I have pretty much the same criteria when considering a new outlet. But I have one more and one that leads me to places like book stores who have overpriced Playmobil. That would be the great old clearance items  :lol:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 20:40:27 »
I too follow the same criteria so I won't be buying any playmo at Sears but it would be nice for them to start carrying some exclusives - then I'd be interested!

David

Offline Mina

• Playmo Fanatic
    • our Playmoblog
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:46:29 »
Hi Mina, Toys-R-Us Canada sells Playmobil - including a few of the "exclusive" sets (like 5895 & 5898) - but not all of them >:( 
Maybe there's a TRU near where you visit?  If you haven't already, you could also try PM Canada's "Find a dealer" search to find a nearby toy shop - though it's not that up-to-date.

David

I know TRU sells them... AND that's my point... in Switzrland, every department store sells Playmobil... and a few ones have some German exclusive sets... in Canada, apart from TRU... we don't have much...
I don't wanna grow up!

http://playmolocle.romandie.com/ -- our Playmoworld

http://moonymina.deviantart.com/ -- my non-playmo creations

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 15:17:21 »
Oh, I see... yes, Mina, when compared to what's available in Germany, Switzerland, etc. Canada must seem pretty sparse as far as Playmo goes!

David

Offline irnm2001

• x Club Member*
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:04 »
My wife used to work at Sears (before we had the kids) and their toy department can be, at best, described as aweful. I'm thinking that both Sears and Playmobil are testing the waters and if it works out Sears Canada may become Canada's version of Target (with exclusive). Maybe its just wishful thinking from my part?

Mad Nick
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:11:36 »
My wife used to work at Sears (before we had the kids) and their toy department can be, at best, described as aweful. I'm thinking that both Sears and Playmobil are testing the waters and if it works out Sears Canada may become Canada's version of Target (with exclusive). Maybe its just wishful thinking from my part?

Mad Nick

If that is how they are testing the market then they should ensure the prices are good enough to make people want to buy from them.  They are overpriced. 

Sears buys in such volume that the sets should be AT LEAST 1/3 cheaper than they are.

That stated, I was pretty darn happy to see them in the Christmas catalogue!!!