Author Topic: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017  (Read 13446 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 14:54:02 »
Sherlock Holmes is the foremost private detective of all time.

Yes, but as a license, is what? A klicky and his sidekick?  That is what I meant...

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 14:58:23 »
Sherlock Holmes is now in public domain, so I don't think there's need for a license. The character is now free to use.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 14:59:02 »
Sherlock Holmes is now in public domain, so I don't think there's need for a license. The character is now free to use.

That's something for it! :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 15:07:31 »

I think the last 10 are still under copyright.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 15:53:26 »
Tin Tin could work as he always visits exotic and exciting locations, so the possibilities would be wide opened, plus many existing Playmobil sets could be use to create Tin Tin adventures.
The same could be said for Spirou and Yoko Tsuno. Fun characters whose adventures are not focused on violence which is probably key when you talk about Playmobil.

Doctor Who could probably bring in new customers and fans of the show. His time and space travels would open great possibilities and they'd probably push the interactivity between the various themes. Board the Tardis and visit this year's knight castle or our new dollhouse...

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 16:14:47 »
I think the last 10 are still under copyright.

Yes, that's right. Everything written after 1923 is still copyrighted in the US, but everything is in public domain in the UK.

"(All of the Holmes stories are already in the public domain in Britain.)"

“Klinger and the public may use the pre-1923 story elements without seeking a license,” the judge wrote.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/sherlock-holmes-is-in-the-public-domain-american-judge-rules/?_r=0

Of course, I don't know how this affects Playmobil in regards to producing klickies!  :)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 01:16:36 »
A Sherlock Holmes theme would include e.g. a Moriarty figure, a Hound of the Baskervilles set, a crime scene set, some bobbies (which would be wildly popular), and other scenes from the stories that I don't know because I haven't read them.

Literature of that period is rich with pickings. What about an HG Wells theme, and a Jules Verne theme? That would let them do steampunk in a very tasteful manner. And what about a Hugo Gernsback/EE "Doc" Smith/Flash Gordon theme? I mean like 1930s space operas. Bulbous rockets, rayguns, Martian Princesses. How about a Conan the Barbarian theme? An Edgar Allen Poe theme? How about a general classic horror theme - they're already experimenting with vampires.

The sky is the limit.

I think people are getting too caught up in concerns about violence. Weapons have been in PM from the very beginning - knights, Indians, pirates and cops have always been armed. The Asian Dragon theme was practically a bloodbath. And they did GLADIATORS. That's actually pretty weird when you think about it. (Imagine what toys they'll make of our time in two thousand years. CIA torture teams? Necklacing?)

Dredd is not...

:P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:26:24 by Macruran »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:45 »
A Sherlock Holmes theme would include e.g. a Moriarty figure, a Hound of the Baskervilles set, a crime scene set, some bobbies (which would be wildly popular), and other scenes from the stories that I don't know because I haven't read them.

And Mrs. Hudson! A Sherlock theme would basically be a mini, slightly darker, Victorian theme plus a big scary dog, police detectives (Lestrade and co.), and some science equipment. It could have a bridal couple, some aristocrats, Irene Adler with portrait, Sherlock in different disguises, a snake, a violin, a carriage, a handheld lantern, a pipe... Most of the famous stories are out of copyright, so the few lingering ones are not a huge concern.

Speaking of Doyle's work, his Lost World should be out of copyright as well. It's not as famous as Crichton's, but who doesn't love dinosaurs and Victorians?

I see no reason to go into licensing because there's already so much material in the public domain. Alice in Wonderland would be a pretty popular one. They have the queen already.

Since they are going into licensing, I would choose things like Peter Pan (it has a special copyright extension because Barrie willed it to a children's hospital) and le Petit Prince. Playmobil would do well to side with more "intellectual" themes. 

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:55 »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 14:03:48 »
 :lmao:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: