Author Topic: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017  (Read 13450 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 00:54:39 »
I knew this would happen. The Golden Age of Playmobil is definitively over. Où sont les Brandstätter d'antan?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:17:09 »
I think it is fine, as long as they are keeping the niche market,or the core market, for the collectors.

I have to say since the super 6 thing, heading towards more licensed is not something we can avoid, as they want to diversify from the existing market. And it is still nice to see them reissuing great vintage stuffs through Direct Service to cater our needs

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 01:30:30 »
Did I miss the comment that Lego already has Ghost Busters?

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:28 »
Lego did limited edition licensed sets for ghostbusters as part of the ideas/cuusco line...they also have a few connected to the Lego dimensions game... But they don't hold exclusive licensure.

If anyone is interested, Most licensed toys aren't exclusive licensure anymore as the toy market has become very fractured. The licensee can make more money if they licence to ten companies instead of one, and the toy companies need licenses to keep sales steady so they don't complain too loud about the less expensive, non exclusive agreements

The playmobil line will probably be like the Super 4 line...a limited line technically separate from the regular run of playmobil.
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:56 »
The sets have a good chance of being geared toward adult collectors as kids today aren't really ghostbusters fans...  My kids are, but I also show them stuff I want to watch instead of letting them pick...  :)  I think niche movies an tv like ghostbusters, back to the future, and possibly even he-man make sense for playmobil as it is more of a niche toy to begin with... Non current licenses are also a lot less expensive...so older films make sense all the way around.

I can understand maybe Back to the Future and other cult classics. Does Ghostbusters still have a large enough fan base to be worth it and how much overlap is there between the Playmobil fan base and the Ghostbuster one? IMDB is showing the popularity of both '80's Ghostbuster films as declining.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:41 »
The new movie should be out shortly I think. But by the time they release anything it will be a bit late.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 04:56:58 »
The last I heard the trailer for the new one was very unpopular.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 07:57:43 »
The last I heard the trailer for the new one was very unpopular.

I finally saw the trailer. It looks terrible.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:05 »
The new movie should be out shortly I think. But by the time they release anything it will be a bit late.

Apparently they are bringing back the cartoon in 2018
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:55 »
press release on playmobil US

So, based on the original movie... is that it?

Apparently they are bringing back the cartoon in 2018

There was a cartoon?

I don't get the choice, unless it's cheap... Or maybe I don't realize the following it has. I hope that's it. It seems .... weak. Worse, as far as I remember, it is not prone to... amassing.

So, even if they have half a dozen characters (I don't remember how many they were - 4 ghostbusters? And a woman?) across that many sets (a la Super 4)... That's one set of each someone needs. If we were talking an Elvish/Orc/Stormtrooper/whatever army.. Well.

Wait and see, I suppose. Hope they do well. I guess. Though I still think it is a step further from what they are supposed to be... But maybe that is the past.