Author Topic: Defective Playmobil  (Read 8713 times)

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
Defective Playmobil
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:12 »
I have seen on another playmobil forum where collectors have been discussing about the deteriorating quality of Playmobil. I dont know German language and therefore cant join (I cant register an account), but would like to see what do you guys think. I always feel proud telling my friends how superior their quality is, but is it true their quality is on the wane???? :-\

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
Re: Defective Playmobil
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:34:26 »
quality?   Hmmmm.....I'd have to say I think plastic quality has IMPROVE if anything.   Just take a standard klicky from vintage and compare with a new klicky.  New klicky feels more solid and not as thin and flimsy.  Also much less prone to loose arms/legs.   Plastics now also less prone to yellowing.

I do notice on the newer design 4290 ship, however, standing rigging is made of cheaper thinner plastic that is brittle and not durable as its vintage predecesors.

And overall design of new playmobil is not comparable to vintage level of detail and aesthetics.

But as far as quality, for the most part, IMO, I think the plastic is actually better.

However, system x buildings, IMO, do seem a bit thinner and less solid than old steck pieces, which are built like rocks.  Not to mention, they come apart much more easily than steck.

I also see many parts that were once metal (like anchors and bells and hoists) are now being replaced with plastic ones of the same mould.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:38 »
I also see many parts that were once metal (like anchors and bells and hoists) are now being replaced with plastic ones of the same mould.

Yes, like the ball and chain which comes with the ghost in the set Rona reviewed:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=6739.0

Metal definitely seems better for some things, especially anchors! ;D

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 15:15:45 »
well...we have talked about in other threads about the poor quality control, regarding missing parts and defectve parts or even too many extra parts in new sets.
Plastic is better I agree with Atto, but maybe control should be improved.
If anything I notice a difference from past years in the design of some sets or even some whole themes.  :-\
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 15:24:59 »
Yes i think the actual quality is continually improving. The exception is with certain US exclusives, like the take along police station. Very flimsy. However I think it is true that many sets are including less accessories, which decreases their "quality" in some respects.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 16:40:34 »
However I think it is true that many sets are including less accessories, which decreases their "quality" in some respects.

Very true,bb! I remember when nearly every vehicle came with a tool box with tools, traffic cones, triangular traffic sign, fire extinguisher, & so on, & the problem even then was you couldn't find enough room in the vehicle to store everything!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 16:53:01 »
One of my first sets as a child was silver ranch http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=3768 , and I remember being so awestruck at the number of tools that came with it.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 16:56:49 »
Very true,bb! I remember when nearly every vehicle came with a tool box with tools, traffic cones, triangular traffic sign, fire extinguisher, & so on, & the problem even then was you couldn't find enough room in the vehicle to store everything!

One of my first sets was the 3780 - Garbage Truck

And the little tools and toolbox it came with used to infuriate me! (and it still does now :P)

The tools would never all stay in the toolbox when you picked it up, and they would always get jammed and stuck in the side storage bins of the truck. let alone getting any of the small accessories stuck in the compartment behind the seats in the cab and have to tip it all upside down!

Damo :)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 17:30:15 »
Hi

I feel the plastic it self might be better but it is getting thinner. It really is hard to do a comparison as the old sets are sometimes 30 years old. How would todays Playmobil look in 30 years ? I know for sure the main building components are getting flimsier and it is quite annoying when you also take in the fact that like mentioned the accessories are held back as well. It is really hard to estimate if we are getting as good a value today as sets from earlier years.  One area that I can for sure say that the quality is less is with most new rocks.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 17:32:52 »
And the little tools and toolbox it came with used to infuriate me! (and it still does now :P)
The tools would never all stay in the toolbox when you picked it up, and they would always get jammed and stuck in the side storage bins of the truck. let alone getting any of the small accessories stuck in the compartment behind the seats in the cab and have to tip it all upside down!
Damo :)

Aw yes, those were the days! :P
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!