Author Topic: Secret Santa 2011?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Secret Santa 2011?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 19:07:43 »
ok...let's do something before going on.

Can someone explain in detail how this works and what is it about for those who doesn't know.  :)  And then we can go from there.
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 19:25:12 »
Sure.
This has been done at a couple of different forums over the years. I know I did it at Playmoboard at least twice, once at LG and I believe we did it once here as well.

What has typically happened in the past:
If you want to participate you send your favorite one or two themes along with your shipping info to the organizer. The organizer matches up people with similar theme interests and send you back the name of another participant with their theme and info.
You then make up a custom klicky matching their interests and mail it to them by the deadline.
After the deadline date has passed people who have received their Klicky usually post a thread about it showing the klicky, sometimes with a story of it's arrival and addition to their collection.
So you send out a gift and receive one back from someone else. People are not usually matched directly - the person you send to will not be the person you receive from.

I've gotten and sent some great klickies through this sort of project. As an example one year my match was Count Bogro. So I found out what city he lives in/near and looked up the coat of arms for that city. I then made him a city guard with that heraldry on it. A year or two later Count Bogro had me as his match and he sent me an accordian player with a monkey. Other years I've received an Alien Queen, Thai baby elephant with blanket and boy, knights, and St Francis of Assisi. It can turn out to be all sorts of different things and often made especially for you to fit into your interests and known collection.

Offline Ronastoo

• Playmo Lover
  • MamaDragon
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 23:56:47 »
It is great fun and I'd love to participate.

I nominate Tim as the coordinator.    ;D
  • trustworthy
  • experienced
  • witty (maybe not a requirement of the task but an excellent attribute none the less)

I'll be his campaign manager.   :lol:
Rona MamaDragon

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 00:26:08 »
Tim would be fine with me, as long as he isn't too busy to spend the time on all this? Obviously the coordinator has to be someone we all trust to give our addresses to, and I'd say we can trust him! ;)
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:17 »
I would suggest a few changes of you are interested guys.  :)
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 01:17:05 »
What do you have in mind?
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:13 »
That sounds cool......but do they have to be customized? I am not a good customizer and still want to share the festive spirit!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 14:17:13 »
What do you have in mind?

well I was thinking maybe the sorting of the pairs could be done like in a riffle, you know? instead of someone pairing compatible people up.

That would make it a little more challenging for you would have to make a little research about the person you have to send the clicky to, to know what kind of collection they have etc.

Other thing is I think all clickies should be customized to make them unique or as unique as possible. I don't mean making new parts for them, but swapping is customizing so...

Offline tanotrooper

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 15:34:53 »
Yes, getting matched up with someone who has different interests is a great idea since you'll have to work with a (completely) different theme than you're used to. Another point of discussion is whether people should be matched according to geographical location? (Some prefer this to save on shipping costs, although it limits the possibilities...)

Customising can be broad; from painting to stickers to swapping parts to swapping accesoires, ... Do what you're comfortable with.

I'd offer to volunteer for the organisation, but I don't know if you're comfortable with sending me your adresses. :lol: If this would be the case however, it would have to wait until after my exams, somewhere in the beginning of February.

Gaetano
Si pacem vis, para bellum.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 00:47:33 »
I would be interested in the adult version and I am sure our 3 sons would swap with other kids as well. Actually it would be a great lesson for them to do it
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: