Author Topic: Advice for Geobra  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
Advice for Geobra
« on: May 19, 2011, 18:45:49 »
Hi everyone  :wave:
It seems like across a lot of topics, I hear a lot of opinions about what you all think Geobra should do differently. So I thought that we should have an open discussion about where we would like the future of Playmobil to go and what things we think the company should be doing differently.

My opinions are:
1. Make the colors more realistic and neutral. No more crazy pinks, greens, blues and yellows. This alienates too much of the market.
2. No more China-made product. If they stress the quality of the product, then this justifies the price.
3. If steck truly does come back, the modularity of this product could be stressed in order to stimulate children, adult, and collector imaginations. I do like many aspects of system-x, but I think the possibilities that steck offers generates more original designs and creative play. In some ways this could help them compete with Lego.

Those are just a few suggestions. What do you think?
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: Advice for Geobra
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 18:57:42 »
This is a great idea for a topic, Jenna! Let me add my advice to the list.

4. Advertise! Especially in the US. TV commercials would be fantastic. Kids here watch a lot of TV, and they are bombarded with commercials for all kinds of toys and products. They need to hear about playmobil this way.

5. Expand themes again. In the past, a new theme would come out, then the next year more sets would come out for that theme for several years, rather than this release and discontinue, then re-launch with a new look strategy.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 13:32:05 »
Those are some really great suggestions, bb! Maybe those are all the suggestions people can think of  :lol: What about some things people are enjoying about what Playmobil has been doing?  ;D
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 13:40:05 »
This is a good idea for discussion, but it will be more noticed by Playmobil if presented in the future PCC venture with them. These ideas can be refined here, but may need to be addressed to Playmobil once the official PCC is up & running IMO.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:29 »
Hi everyone  :wave:
It seems like across a lot of topics, I hear a lot of opinions about what you all think Geobra should do differently. So I thought that we should have an open discussion about where we would like the future of Playmobil to go and what things we think the company should be doing differently.

My opinions are:
1. Make the colors more realistic and neutral. No more crazy pinks, greens, blues and yellows. This alienates too much of the market.
2. No more China-made product. If they stress the quality of the product, then this justifies the price.
3. If steck truly does come back, the modularity of this product could be stressed in order to stimulate children, adult, and collector imaginations. I do like many aspects of system-x, but I think the possibilities that steck offers generates more original designs and creative play. In some ways this could help them compete with Lego.

Those are just a few suggestions. What do you think?

I agree on the color schemes. On its houses, Playmobil needs realistic colored roofs instead of these hideous red ones. How about gray, brown or tan, like most houses built in the last 50 years? And who has orange or red windows? Maybe they should offer a choice of window frame, shutter, door, roof and trim colors so you can customize a house yourself without having to spray paint everything.

How about more people of color? I have ordered the Asian family and several others, and feel that we need more than just 4 people in a certain ethnic group. The school contains mostly caucasian folks; most of the world is not caucasian. 

Also, I like building with system x. Please bring it back so I can enlarge the buildings I have for less than $500. each; the parts for 3988 are critical for building my city, but too expensive on eBay and no longer stocked by PM USA.

And please bring us more sizes of children; they should not all come in one size.

As to what is great about PM, the size is so easy to build with because one can easily see and pick up parts of this scale. And the houses they sell offer wonderful designs and fit together so well. The add on floors and rooms are perfect for changing a stock house. Please keep modernizing some of the houses because this appeals to more of the market than just one style of house such as Victorians.

Adding more grandparents to the mix is a real plus because it encourages them to give more sets to their grandkids, who get to play more with the grandparents. It is great that they are in the conservatory for the suburban house, 4279.

Thanks for asking the pros and cons of PM because we all have different feelings about what makes them so great and what detracts from them. Cheers!
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:24:48 »
So I thought that we should have an open discussion about where we would like the future of Playmobil to go and what things we think the company should be doing differently.

whatever we say who will hear us ....

i believe that's the truth no one from geobra is listening .... every year even worst sets come up ,there is much that has to be changed all you  mentioned above are correct REALISTIC colours ,better box designs ,better quality AND MOST IMPORTAND BETTER SET DESIGNS  i believe after hans beck retired in 2000, the new sets are every year more horrible ,what designers do they have there ? ??? no talent at all  :no: :no: :no: :no:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:55 »
I think some of this advices are great! :love:

I would only add that Geobre should keep a close eye for their licenses. You all know the Antex situation. I've always said Geobre should step in and do something. This sort of thing hurts Playmobil reputation and Geobra's in extension.
Also be carefull with the quality issue regarding the Chinese made sets.
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:32 »
I couldn't agree more about the house colors, playmogal! I really don't think kids would like these sets any less for their having a nice tan or sandy color that looks like an actual roof. And yes red and bright yellow window frames... :doh: I'd love to see better colors. One obvious problem (I'm about to step out of character and criticize system x here) is that system x walls are always white. This does make them more versatile, but.... it makes for a pretty boring house. I wouldn't mind seeing the color on the sys x houses come from the walls, not the roof, like the victorian houses always have. As long as it's a nice color, not some horrid, loud, fisher price color.

My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Online Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 14:29:09 »
I would like to know what will happen to Geobra altogether once Mr B is 6 feet under  ??? One of his kids seems only interested in flower pots and who knows about the other. In this day and age kids seem more inclined to sell the empire to the highest bidder. I would hate to see Geobra get absorbed into say Matell and really watch its reputation, colors, design & quality spiral down the drain.  :hmm:

SO my suggestion is to

6. find an worthy heir that will see the toy line through the next 37 years
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 14:56:55 »
I couldn't agree more about the house colors, playmogal! I really don't think kids would like these sets any less for their having a nice tan or sandy color that looks like an actual roof. And yes red and bright yellow window frames... :doh: I'd love to see better colors. One obvious problem (I'm about to step out of character and criticize system x here) is that system x walls are always white. This does make them more versatile, but.... it makes for a pretty boring house. I wouldn't mind seeing the color on the sys x houses come from the walls, not the roof, like the victorian houses always have. As long as it's a nice color, not some horrid, loud, fisher price color.

Great comments, BB! I really like the newer church, wedding tent, piano player, limo, etc. and all the pieces in the wedding sets. Built them as the centerpiece for my son's home wedding last month, and it was lovely. Everyone adored them!
Aren't some of those walls beige, yellow or pink? (Mine are packed away right now.) We do need walls other than white, and those seem like the most appropriate colors. Also more stone and brick walls would be great.
I love the System X sets because they are so strong. But the walls, windows and roof styles and colors are just too limited, and they don't carry the existing parts in stock when I try to order in the US.
I have spray painted roof, door and window pieces with success, but I am afraid to try System X white walls or blue joint pieces. Anyone done that yet?
Keep the great ideas flowing...even if no one at the company listens to us, it makes us feel much better! (and for you Lego haters, that company NEVER listens to anything the users offer!!) Cheers! :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!