Author Topic: Playmo recipes brought to you by PlaymoChef to your table...  (Read 10013 times)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Pirate Ship Cake

Bon Appetit !!!

Everyone will be screaming "Shiver me timbers!" when they see this swashbuckling cake.

Party Idea: Your swashbucklers will have loads of fun at a Pirate Party!

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
 2 baked 9" or 10" round cakes 
 3 to 4 cups chocolate icing 
 Decorations: 
 Chocolate wafer sticks (such as Pepperidge Farm Pirouette Cookies) 
 Milk chocolate wafer rolls (Waffeletten cookies) 
 Several pieces of white or off-white paper 
 3 10" wooden skewers 
 Malted milk balls 
 Rolo candies 
 Root beer barrels 
 Plastic pirate figures (we used Playmobil), washed thoroughly 

1. Cut the cakes in half and layer them, rounded sides all facing the same direction, adding a thin coat of chocolate icing between the layers.

2. Trim the bottom curves of the cakes slightly to help them sit flat, then turn the cakes upright, as shown. (Tip: If necessary, wrap the cakes in plastic and chill in the freezer to make them firmer. Also, two drinking straws stuck through the four layers of cake will help keep them together.)

3. Cover with the chocolate icing, then create planking lines along the hull with a butter knife. Chill at least one hour to firm the icing.

4. Use dabs of icing to anchor wafer stick gunwales along the edge of the deck.

5. Press the wafer rolls into both sides of the ship for cannons.

6. Cut sails from the paper, then slip them onto the skewers and set the masts in place.

7. Add malted milk ball cannonballs, plenty of Rolo gold booty, and root beer barrels, then station a few pirates to keep watch.

8. For safety, place the candles in the cookie cannons, far from the paper sails. Also, make sure that the surface on which the cake rests is impervious to wax, as the burning candles will drip.

With the compliments of PlaymoChef

La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
Re: Playmo recipes brought to you by PlaymoChef to your table...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 15:49:11 »
The Wedding Cake of two Playmofriends  ;) but who got married and did not tell us  :yup:?

La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 16:12:10 »
Fancy a Pirate Ship ? I meant as a dessert of course...

Here are the yummyest and coolest cakes around and enough inspiration for the next decade of birthdays :

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 16:21:56 »
Did anyone said Cake Toppers ?

The Perfect Cake Topper by a Lady that surely deserve to be a Playmofriend...

The words “always a bridesmaid, never a bride” were the words that my youngest sister always said when she attended weddings. She was thoroughly convinced that she would never meet her Prince Charming, let alone walk down the aisle. A few months ago she sprung a huge surprise on the whole family, the man she’d been dating for a while proposed and she graciously accepted. If you thought I was the weird one in the family, think again. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family but we function much better when there are a few thousand miles between us. My sister set out on creating the perfect wedding, which in her eyes means everything has to be Victorian. A huge white cake with pink flowers, a handmade dress with lace everywhere and a huge horse drawn carriage to take them to and from the ceremony. She sent me an email saying that she couldn’t find anything that she really liked for the top of the cake, that’s when my left eyebrow shot up in the air and an evil grin washed over my face. I wonder if they’d both go for Playmobil figures on the top of the cake … I ran the idea past both of them and they weren’t too keen on it so I decided to order her a set and have it sent to her so she could see them in person to make the judgment call. In this case a picture wasn’t worth a thousand words because she went insane when she saw the figures and told me to stop looking for an alternative cake topper.

Playmobil Victorian Bride And Groom

I originally picked up this set from an eBay seller who was getting rid of a ton of Playmobil figures but the deal fell through so I ordered them at the Playmobil Online Store. I wasn’t sure what to make of them looking at the photo; I mean they looked nice in the picture but were the colors going to be the same? Were the flowers going to fall apart? It was a whole different story after I got the set; just like the Prince and Princess set, these are extremely detailed figures that you simply have to see to believe. I wouldn’t have suggested them for my finicky and picky little sister had this been a common Playmobil set because I knew she’d turn her nose up at them and verbally bash me for suggesting them.

Both the male and female figure are dressed in a Victorian fashion and it’s a hard call on which one looks better. About the only thing that’s missing from this set is a cane for the groom but that might be overdoing it a little for most peoples taste. You can get a good idea of what both figures look like from the photo but seeing it up close and personal is a whole different story. Her dress is white with beautiful pink stenciling on the top and bottom. Her veil is white and runs down past her neck and the shoes, oh my the shoes. For once the designers actually made a little bit of a change and gave her something that looks like it matches the clothing instead of the usual colored shoes. She has a small train coming off the back of the dress and that just adds to the overall appeal of the figure. The only accessory piece to this set is the small bouquet of flowers that can be snapped into either of her hands but, personally, they really take away from the pink on her dress.

The groom is in a nice blue tuxedo [no tails] with white and solver stenciled accents. The thing that really got me was the top hat; it has a white band around it and while this might serve to add a tie in to the brides dress it doesn’t work with all the silver on his suit. The wrist wraps [detachable] help to break up the navy blue color of his tuxedo and the red shirt he’s wearing gives him a little zip. Not to be outdone by the bride, he’s got bright white shoe covers, a stenciled tie, lapel flower and stenciled belt. One thing to add about both figures is that they have flesh colored hands, not the usual white or yellow that you find on other figures. I wish the groom would have had a little red added to his cheeks but alas; it’s just the bride that gets this type of royal treatment. Like I said, it’s hard to say which one looks better …

If this sounds like a set that you are interested in the best place to get this is the Playmobil Online Store because they have the cheapest price. Most online toy stores that carry this claim that it is ultra rare or that it is hard to find but that's not the case. You can get this for $4.99 from the Playmobil store [plus shipping] and that is a great deal for two awesome looking figures!

The Bottom Line

I am really happy that my sister and her betrothed liked the bride and groom set and I am sure that more than a few people will look at them on top of the cake and shake their heads wondering where they came up with that idea. This set is pretty hard to find in retail stores so if it is something that you are interested in, check out the Playmobil Online Store. Both the figures are exceptionally detailed, look great together and their outfits are definitely Victorian. These make for a great small add-on wedding gift and little girls love to play with them. Little Annabelle tried to make off with these two figures more than a few times so I’m thinking about getting her a set of her own so she can use them with the Playmobil horses and girl sets that she has.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 16:49:03 »
How much did you say these Cake Topping Figure was again  :o ???

£19.00, ok I'll have one please...

£320.00, well I'll have to think about it...

£379.00, wow, is it gold plated or what ?

£499.00, I'll mortgage the house and get back to you asap...

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 17:27:18 »
And for those who want to go all the way on the Playmo Pirate Theme, here are the must have accessories for the perfect Pirate themed Party ...

All of these can be ordered at www.yourpartybypost.co.uk ranging from £0.23 to £1.99

They even have an amazing Pirate Scene Setter :

Pirate Scene Setter Ref: 3627
Design-A-Room Pirate Pack. Set the scene for a party on the high seas! Transform a room in minutes! This pirate pack of vinyl decorations is perfect for a pirate-themed birthday party. Includes pirate ocean background (30 ft. x 4 ft.), pirate deck background (30 ft. x 4 ft.), pirate captain set (2 pcs., 3 ft. x 6 ft.) and a pirate set (2 pcs., 3 ft. x 6 ft.). A truly wonderful scene setter, 33 pieces in total. £49.99

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 17:45:48 »
and some more available at www.greatlittleparties.co.uk

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 19:01:17 »
Pirate Treasure Chest Cake

Your swashbucklers can leave the Pirate Party with quite a haul, such as gummy fish, temporary tattoos, chocolate coins or candy jewelry. They can dig these treasures out of the Treasure Chest Cake at the end of the hunt (just be sure everyone gets an even number of prizes).

INGREDIENTS:
 1 baked 13- x 9- x 2-inch cake 
 6 cups chocolate frosting 
 Edible treasures, such as chocolate coins, Rolo candies, chocolate almond kisses or Necco Wafers 
 Red Fruit by the Foot 
 Mini jawbreakers 
 Candy jewels, such as candy necklaces and rock candy 
1. Cut a section approximately 2-inches wide in the center of the cake. The two remaining 5 1/2- x 9- x 2-inch rectangular pieces will form the bottom and top of the chest.

2. Slice the 2-inch section on an angle to form two long triangular wedges. Place the wedges on the bottom half of the chest, about an inch apart. Both wedges should face the same direction (tall end toward the front of the cake) as they will support the top of the treasure chest and keep it propped open. Then frost the bottom half of cake, including the wedges.

3. To add further support for the top of the chest, stand a few large gold coins under the lid.

4. With the "hinged" end (left side of photo) at the back, place the top of the chest on the bottom and frost.

5. Wrap the fruit leather straps around the chest and press mini jawbreaker "nails" into the frosting alongside the straps. Fill the chest and the surrounding area with edible treasures and jewels.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 19:03:52 »
Pirate Hat Cake

Ask any birthday buccaneer if he wants a piece of this swashbuckling cake, and you'll get a resounding, "Aye, matey!" Surround it with chocolate coins for an even more treasured treat.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
 2 (8-inch) round chocolate cakes 
 2 (16-ounce) cans chocolate fudge frosting 
 White decorators' frosting 
1. Use a long serrated knife to trim the tops of the cakes to flatten them, if needed. Spread a thin layer of chocolate frosting over the trimmed side of one cake, then lay the other cake on top, trimmed side down.

2. Cut one side from the stack, as shown. Cut this piece in half and assemble the hat. Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate frosting into a resealable sandwich bag, set it aside, and use the rest of the frosting to cover the cake.

3. With white decorators' frosting, add a skull and crossbones, and hat trim. Snip a corner from the bag of chocolate frosting and pipe on the skull features. Serves 12.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 19:06:19 »
School Bus Cake

You'll have no trouble getting your kids on board when it comes to decorating and devouring this back-to-school dessert.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
 2 loaf cakes (pound cake or banana bread works well) 
 2 cups white frosting 
 Yellow food coloring 
 White chocolate chips 
 4 mini chocolate-covered doughnuts 
 Round cookie wafers 
 Black decorating gel 
 Small red gumdrops 
 Red Hots 
1. Trim the top and sides of one cake to straighten them, if needed. Spread a bit of frosting onto the center of a serving plate and set the trimmed cake upside down on top of it (to keep the cake from sliding).

2. Trim the sides and top of the second cake to straighten them. Then slice off a 1 1/2-inch-thick piece from one end and use the remaining portion for the top of the bus, frosting the bottom and setting it atop the first cake.

3. Spread a thin layer of white frosting over the whole cake to seal in any crumbs and let it set for about 15 minutes. Spread more white frosting on the sides of the top layer (the windows of the bus). Reserve about a teaspoon of white frosting, then tint the rest yellow and use it to frost the rest of the cake.

4. For tires, use dabs of frosting to attach white chocolate chip hubcaps (tips down) to the centers of the mini doughnuts and then to stick the tires onto the bus.

5. Transform cookie wafers into people using white frosting and black gel to create eyes. Trim some red gumdrops for smiles, then press the cookie faces onto the cake.

6. Finally, add details such as black gel lettering, Red Hots for caution lights, and white chocolate chip headlights.