Author Topic: Photo Album - picture size  (Read 3490 times)

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Photo Album - picture size
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:14:17 »
Can anyone please help me?

I'm trying to update my album in the Photo Album (my castle has been extended nearly a year ago) but each time I try to upload a picture I get this message; but I don't seem to be able to find what the maximum width and height are for them?

Does anyone know ???

Bogro

... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Photo Album - picture size
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:27:47 »

I couldn't remember so I went and checked how it was configured. ;)

Max size for uploaded files = 1024 KB
Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos = 2048 pixels

Btw, I noticed there is another size-related setting which is not currently enabled:
"Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height"

Would it be helpful for me to turn this feature on? It should prevent the error messages. :)

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:00 »
It would for me - as somehow all my pictures seem to be too large  :-[.
Probably a setting on my camera  :-\

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:24:28 »

Just had another thought... it could be that the photo album area has exceeded the space I originally allowed for it during set-up.

I've just increased the quota tenfold.

Please try uploading again and see if you still get the same error. :crossed:

(There's one more thing I can try after that which might help.)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:41:03 »
While we're talking pictures, is there any real need for the 3.5 cm of yellow either side of the actual message boxes? If that could be reduced we could post larger pictures without having to scroll the screen.

I currently size all my pictures at 645 pixels wide to avoid exceeding the message box width, but could probably go to 700 or 750 if we could add 3cm of extra posting space.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:58:51 »

While we're talking pictures, is there any real need for the 3.5 cm of yellow either side of the actual message boxes? If that could be reduced we could post larger pictures without having to scroll the screen.

That's part of the forum's actual page design.
I prefer to have the space at the sides than to see everything stretched out across the page. I find it makes it easier for navigation and general reading when things are grouped a little more tightly.

I think 650 pixels wide is the maximum you can go before the scroll bar appears. I only occasionally need to go larger than this. Usually I find it's ample amount of space.

It's sometimes hard to find the right settings to make the forum user-friendly to the maximum amount of people (both registered and guests), but I do try to keep everyone's best interests in mind.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 13:25:07 »
It's sometimes hard to find the right settings to make the forum user-friendly to the maximum amount of people (both registered and guests), but I do try to keep everyone's best interests in mind.

True enough, and greatly appreciated! You're right, what might fit big pictures isn't so friendly for reading, which is much more important.

I prefer to put pictures in the body of the posting than attaching thumbnails, whoch require separate clicking and take one away from the photostory. 650 pixels is quite big enough for this.