Author Topic: Playmobil - The Movie, flops  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Re: Playmobil - The Movie, flops
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 05:20:04 »
Even Disney's Frozen 2, which I saw in an empty (audience of 14) cinema 5 days ago seems to struggle to attract people (admittedly when we went, it had been on UK release for 13 days already).

I suspect that's to do with UK cinemas showing the same film on a about 6 screens constantly throughout the day - most of the time when I go to a multiplex in the UK the room is pretty empty even for really big films.

I'm wondering if the $75million budget includes the marketing, I once read somewhere that they often don't include that in the headline figure, making 'flops' even more costly than they appear.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 14:30:45 »
That’s what you get for apeing Lego.

If it’s any consolation, Lego movies are being released with ever-diminishing returns, so maybe it was simply a fad.

Or maybe the first Lego Movie was just the exception - usually this kind of thing goes straight to video, like those Monster High films my daughter likes to watch.

The worst thing about it is the tie-in sets will do even worse - only people who saw and liked the movie will be interested in the hotchpotch mess that they are.

Bottom line: much wasted resources that could have been much better used elsewhere.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 19:04:28 »
Well... the REALLY obvious one: WHY is there not a passport, with the stickers to be obtained on each set!? It's such a DUH!

And WHERE IS THAT DINO!?  >:(

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 19:57:50 »
It had huge negative response before people even saw it. A lot of it was people jumping on the bandwagon to claim the movie was a lame attempt to rip off the Lego movie. I suspect a lot of the negativity was driven by people who don't know playmobil as a product - then again, that's what you get when you diminish your brand to focus on younger children - older children and young adults will savage it much like people would a fisher price movie trying to aim itself at a wider audience.
Also the blatant product endorsement in trying to stuff in every theme made it look like a really long advertisement instead of a story. People aren't that stupid.
Also annoying (from what I've seen) is that most of the themes used were the historic based ones rather than the modern themes which actually dominate playmobil.

One thing that people were impressed with was the animation. So it's a pity that a lot of money was spent on making something that only younger children are really going to like (fans excepted).

They screwed up Super 4 in a similar manner,  tried to make a world of different zones (themes) simply to sell product and it was a bit of a mish mash with little promotion outside the core European area.

They should have done a move focused on the modern era where the police, hospital, zoo sets could be shown off in a more natural setting. Certainly all three main characters are from the modern era. A trip to a museum could then introduce the more historic sets but briefly. Later movies could then promote historic and fantasy sets in more detail, something which likely wont be possible now.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 20:36:20 »
I just think it needed a LOT more time to actually develop.. well, anything..

(with Super 4, still waiting for a proper dvd edition. Oh, wait.. money. FOREIGN euros... right.)

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 11:23:11 »
I haven't seen it yet. It's showing in only 6 theaters in my city which isn't much.
I think that critics went in with their minds already set on comparing it to the Lego movies instead of treating it like it's own thing.
Yes, it's a toy based movie, but look at it for what it is.

As for Super 4, I really enjoyed the first season and was sad to see that the further episodes were not distributed in my country. The same with the toys. We didn't get anything past the first assortment.

A shame as it truly shows the full potential of Playmobil, great play worlds that you can mix and match if you have the imagination.
One day, your favorite Klicky can go to space, rule a castle, be a doctor with a dinosaur pet that hangs around a coffee shop before embarking on a journey aboard a pirate ship.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 17:21:48 »
As for Super 4, I really enjoyed the first season and was sad to see that the further episodes were not distributed in my country. The same with the toys. We didn't get anything past the first assortment.

Yes, I wish they would do proper DVDs from super4.. I would like to have them...

I need to look better at The Movie dvd options, in terms of subtitles and languages.. It would make a nice gift too :D
(but I need the original version, ideally with en subs)

A shame as it truly shows the full potential of Playmobil, great play worlds that you can mix and match if you have the imagination.

Well, YES. It just needed a lot more time and character development. I was expecting a lot more in that regard (not hard, as it has basically ZERO :( )

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 19:09:09 »
Finally saw the movie.
I was fun. A bit too much singing for my taste, but since it's an animated movie it was expected.

Seriously, though, where are all those new hair styles that we see throughout the movie? How come they haven't been made into plastic yet?

I could see Rex Dasher getting his own Playmobil theme. Rex vs agents of Skull would be a fantastic follow up to the Top Agents theme. Probably won't happen as these characters would have to be licensed from the studio.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 19:10:17 »
Seriously, though, where are all those new hair styles that we see throughout the movie? How come they haven't been made into plastic yet?

I want EVERYONE in the colosseum!

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 19:15:16 »
I want EVERYONE in the colosseum!
Exactly! Some fantastic characters in there.