Author Topic: Grab your deerstalker hats and magnifying glasses - the game is afoot!  (Read 7582 times)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
It seemed like a good idea to start posting "Research" here in our new Playmo Research Dept.  :love:, so I'm quoting Heather's recent post from the "Direct Service" board to get things going:

. . . I only was able to find out for sure that the 5404 parts WERE stickered and not printed, a little while ago, but couldn't get any more info. Do those Victorian boxes have hangtabs, or are they plain? If you happen to have the dimensions I'll get them from you later.

As for the thread: The original request has long been subsumed, although by very useful and interesting stuff (to those with high nerd-meter readings). If a mod wanted to split this into the Research folder that'd be fine.

I'm glad the sticker info was useful!  :)  In answer to your question, Heather, the boxes for both 5503 and 5404 have hangtabs, but I still can't find a set box code on 5503.  I'll attach a photo of the box edge where I thought the code should appear.  I'll collect some dimensions and let you know.

Still looking for plans for the following. 9522 - Pirates Playset has been submitted, but since then I've turned up 70219 - PLAYMOBIL-FunPark Aufklapp-Ferienhaus and 9518 - Firefighting Operation in the Forest (a combo of 5616 - Fire Terrain Truck and 5617 - Forest fire helicopter).

Instructions needed, 2019-03-25 THANKS EVERYONE!
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Is the barcode any use, Heather.
Looking at your photo, Indianna, is there a number on the end tab of the box, impressed rather than printed? Or is that a trick of the light?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys

I haven't been keeping barcodes, but if data appears I will definitely make it available - as a trial I just scanned an old box and put the result into Google, and, well, the set showed up. Just the 13 digits, no spaces, will do - let's keep it associated with the box, because I'm sure there will be more than one per set.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
End-flap is worth a check - see photos attached of a 5501 I own. (It's Spanish, so part numbers are five digits starting with 5. Go figure.) That spot on the 5503 is definitely where a box-number should be, but I agree it ain't there.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Funny you should mention that - I just tried softening the glue and peeling the one un-opened end of the 5503.  I got most of the code, but the last digit may have been lost:  "FS 102  30 09 04" is what can be seen.  The remaining numbers were pulled up onto the other flap.  By using a strong light, I was able to read them (backwards) - I think they are 720/01. 

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Looking at your photo, Indianna, is there a number on the end tab of the box, impressed rather than printed? Or is that a trick of the light?

Yes, Graham, I noticed that, too.  It is 00010600 on the 5503.  I'm thinking that those impressed numbers may be put on when the box is filled at the factory, at least on older sets.  On the newer sets, I've noticed the 3-line "sprayed-on" codes that are similar to the codes that appear on the Mystery Figures.  I'm wondering of both the impressed numbers and sprayed-ed on codes may be about date, time, etc. of packing the set at the factory.  :eh?:

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
Funny you should mention that - I just tried softening the glue and peeling the one un-opened end of the 5503.  I got most of the code, but the last digit may have been lost:  "FS 102  30 09 04" is what can be seen.  The remaining numbers were pulled up onto the other flap.  By using a strong light, I was able to read them (backwards) - I think they are 720/01.
:lens: (the perfect emoji)

From another source (somewhere in the distant past) I had FS102/5503/3092047 - might that have been it? The part number has to start with 309, and there are no 3090's recorded until about 2002.

I have a feeling the impressed numbers are factory indicators of something - part of it does look like a time. Not super useful I don't think.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
 :sherlock:
The box! What's on, the box!
Ah! Yes, I see.
This box was packed by a married woman from Schniegling in Nuernberg, Luebecker Strasse, number 19. She had three children. For lunch she had sauerkraut and schnitzel. The daffodils were late flowering that year. She had a slight limp in her left leg.
A very interesting and perplexing case.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
:sherlock:
. . . For lunch she had sauerkraut and schnitzel. . .
Actually, it was spaetzle and schnitzel - alimentary, my dear Sherlock.  ;D

Now here's some real sleuthing, if I say so myself.  ;)  When I peeled up the end of the 5503 box, a fragment of the flap with part of the code was carried away with the glue.  I put that fragment in front of the light on my magnifying glass which revealed the rest of the code, but backwards.  I took a photo and reversed it, yielding the results shown in the second photo:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Heather, you were right!  I made a mistake in reporting the code the first time - I had written it down without taking a photo.  With the info from the fragment, the code you referenced is complete, except for the set number anyway.

:lens: (the perfect emoji)

From another source (somewhere in the distant past) I had FS102/5503/3092047 - might that have been it? The part number has to start with 309, and there are no 3090's recorded until about 2002. . .

Though I wonder what the rest of the numbers mean?  20 something 01, I think.   :eh?:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 20:37:19 by Indianna »