Author Topic: 5445 Fairy ship  (Read 4251 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
5445 Fairy ship
« on: September 18, 2013, 19:17:24 »
5445 Fairy ship

Finally opened the fairy ship...

The ship is nice, though I think it falls quite short of what could have been. Starting with the color. PINK?! Seriously? I suppose we'll be seeing the pink forests eventually.

We don't like the mast, especially with the green foliage on it - left it out immediately. Also not sure if it will have the mast at all.

The set is a bit light on accessories. Besides the klickys and the animals, there are a few gorgeous flowers, a wand and staff in those dreadful colors, and a "Fiona basket", non-yellow ;)

The klicky accessories are great, though we don't agree with the box version ;)  The neckpieces are gorgeous (not for them - covers those beautiful torsos), the larger wings are quite original, and the smaller ones are also very nice. We didn't use any of those stickers on klickys yet...

Here are the klickys as we kept them:

I think a clean repeat of the white one will be making her way to the romans (with different head and arms, of course, and a more... conservative haircolor)! The other.. well, first we need repeats. Anyways, we decided to "simplify".

And here are the animals:

A white owl, and a new chewinggum peacock :)

As a comparison, and a hint of missed opportunity, here's the ship next to the Schleich one

Can you imagine the boat in brownish with greenish things (instead of pink and yellowish)? Or just greenish instead of pink. What is it with people and pink!?

(We might get a second one for all the pinkish vikings though...  >:D )

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: 5445 Fairy ship
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 20:18:59 »
Thanks for the nice review. The figures look great, but I cant see getting it just for that.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 22:05:30 »
Thanks for the review, tahra.

The figures look great, but I cant see getting it just for that.

I feel the same way. The pink boat is really not worth it. :lol:
~Pynedor~

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 23:33:21 »
Thanks for review.
To be honoust, I find this set completely... :0   

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 00:06:29 »
Thank you for the review.

I guess pink is a safe colour for girls' fairy sets.

Brown and green does sound rather great!  I can see custom painted ones.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:18:28 »

But WHY!? I find it insulting, really. :(

Brown and green does sound rather great!  I can see custom painted ones.

Well, the boat DOES exist in a pretty brown...

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:45:14 »

I don't personally like the pink because it makes the boat look unrealistic (even for fairies :lol:), and I usually like my fantasy to be realistic, or at least fantastically realistic in its own world... I think that generally pink is a well-liked colour by girls though, so it's not surprising or insulting to me. Then again, I'm not a girl. I don't particularly find blue or other dark coloured things insulting though. It can just be annoying sometimes when they colour items pink or blue or some other colour that, by being that colour, ruin their use in some ways. :-\
~Pynedor~

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 00:46:39 »
Thanks for the review! The set, in theory, is an interesting idea, although it was poorly executed, in my opinion. And, as you pointed out, quite a missed opportunity compared to the Schleich boat.
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:18:08 »
I think the use and abuse of pinkish stuff not only cheapens the set,  but it's demeaning for girls/women.

Like we're just a bunch of blind stupid idiots who can't really.. play? I don't know. I find it offensive. And it enforces the sterotype, on and on. One could expect more from playmobil.

The "boys" sets are now suffering from that as well.. mostly are "fight!" and nothing else.

Oh well.. end whine :-[

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:19 »

Cultural influence. Girls are taught to like pretty pink princess stuff from an early age, so toy companies make pink things because they sell.

I kind of hate pink, but I suppose I'm not really the market for fairy toys anyway. I would love to see sets with more natural colors. Even a pale grey would be nice.