Author Topic: Ebay Auction Warning!!!  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Ebay Auction Warning!!!
« on: November 05, 2010, 23:34:25 »
Warning!

This auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300488643387&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123

is a fraudulant listing.

After seeing the auction and the pictures of the new castle sets that are not even available here yet I emailed and asked, "how many of the pictures shown are actually of the stuff being auctioned?"

Here is the response:

Actually none of them are. The actual set is almost completely disassembled and in large Rubbermaid bins and boxes. We do have everything pictured in these photos, though, and then some.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Thanks for your interest,
Janna

- jannaandpaul

Of course my response included me asking how they can have all the new sets that are not even available in North America yet.   I will post any follow up responses I get.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Re: Ebay Auction Warning!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 00:04:54 »
I think this just may be a seller who knows nothing about Playmobil and even less about selling on ebay (their feedback is all from being a buyer.)  They have a bunch of old Playmobil that they got somehow, maybe from a family member, and they didn't want to try to put it all together so they just trolled the internet looking for pictures that seemed to match the sort of thing they have in all those boxes.  It takes crazy people like us to notice the difference between Steck and SystemX.  ;D  This could be a real treasure trove for the right buyer, someone who is close enough to actually go and take a look at it.
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 00:08:18 »
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 00:32:29 »
my take on this is that the sellers don't know what they're selling, moreso than are trying to be deceptive.  They probably don't realize how detail-oriented collecting playmobil is, and that avid collectors will interpret this as a misleading auction, when, in reality, the seller probably thinks a castle is a castle is a castle and is all the same.

Unless they were willing to assemble everything to see what they truly had, incliuding missing parts and extra parts, what they should have done was just take pics of the bins showing the sheer amount of playmobil goodness, and then in the auction just listed it as HUGE LOT OF BINS of PLAYMOBIL, and in the description noted that they don't know exactly what parts go to what, but that there are many many parts that may or may not form complete sets, and surely would be a great find for a serious collector who wouldn't mind the trouble of sorting the lot him/herself and just taking their chances by bidding on the pile of playmobil as-is.

I know, personally, if I had extra money, I would bid on such a lot even if I wasn't guaranteed any complete sets;  I would know there is a lot that can be done with it, and that most likely I'd have to spend great amounts of time later trying to piece them together and complete the sets, or use them as extra parts for existing sets, and/or re-sell the extras back on ebay once I've sorted them appropriately.

I really don't think the sellers meant any malice or fraud.  Probably just ignorant of proper selling technique, and ignorant of Playmobil in general.  A knowlegeable seller (even a fraudulant one) would not make these mistakes, IMO.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 00:40:23 »
Yes, I had expressed a similar sentiment in the first thread about it, but then when I saw it was listed for sale on two different websites, I started to really wonder. But after seeing what dinobuzz said in the other thread about his conversation with them, they do sound like they might be legitimate.

In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 00:53:51 »
I wonder if the reserve limit is the $2000.00 for the buy it now price? It may be worth the $2000.00, but not seeing what is actually in the 10 bins means people aren't willing to take a big chance on it.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Dinobuzz

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 00:56:47 »
Yes, I had expressed a similar sentiment in the first thread about it, but then when I saw it was listed for sale on two different websites, I started to really wonder. But after seeing what dinobuzz said in the other thread about his conversation with them, they do sound like they might be legitimate.

The seller did say to me today that she wished I lived closer to help her put together (I told her that if I did live closer, I'd offer my help).....anyways, she said that if her & the hubby could find time, they'd try to put some of it together.

BTW~ Dinobuzz is a 'she'  ;)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:35:22 »

Can you morally and legally (as per ebay listing terms) try to sell it on two different sites at the same time?

They might sound 'legit' but by not even showing an actual picture of the stuff in the tubs and boxes (the seller admitted the picture of the Playmobil pictured in the boxes and tubs is NOT what they are selling!!!) is not honest. 

Honestly, are we really to believe there is no one who has access to a digital camera (or scanner) in this day and age - let alone access to someone who does have a digital camera?

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 19:50:40 »

BTW~ Dinobuzz is a 'she'  ;)

Oops! sorry.  :-[ You can go to profile and then click on forum profile information, and put in your gender. Then the little pink female symbol will appear next to your name and there won't be any confusion.  :)9