Author Topic: Playmobil purchasing guidelines  (Read 3561 times)

Offline tlc

• Playmo Pal
Playmobil purchasing guidelines
« on: January 25, 2011, 19:29:38 »
Does anyone else develop guidelines for deciding on playmobil purchases?

Now, I'm not a collector, just a parent who wants to provide high quality play options.  So, this question is really for those who are buying for children who will play with the toys.

Today, I ran across a sticky note from 6+ months ago which stated pretty clearly my objectives with playmobil.  I remember feeling, at the time, a little overwhelmed by the choices available.  So, I drilled down to what I really value in a toy for my kids.  Here's what it said:

1.  portable  (which also means that it will take up little space at home)
2.  M & F  (which means both male and female klickies in the set)
3.  multi-race  (my most challenging playmobil objective!)
4.  animals  (always fun!)
5.  flexible fun  (meaning that the set could be played with in a variety of different ways/scenarios)

It bears noting that I'm a playmobil minimalist of sorts.  I don't like cluttering our living space; so, we tend to concentrate on much smaller playsets.  For instance, the largest set we own is the Forest Lodge (4207).  Predictably, I'm quite interested in the playmobil "take-along" line which I'd like to see expand.  We have the Barbarian Fort and the Unicorn Castle which pack an unbelievable amount of play options into a small package.  We also mix and match smaller sets together in a small glad storage container to take with us on trips (or even to make a 'new' playset at home).  When seemingly unrelated things are together in a small container, imagination-magic begins to happen!

tlc

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Playmobil purchasing guidelines
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 19:34:31 »
Hi Tic! Please introduce yourself in the WELCOME board!!  :wave: :wave:
Gaston  :)
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 20:19:55 »
Hi TLC,

As someone also buying for a child I tend to take a very different approach. For us I've tended, as much as possible, to stick to one theme.  I think the advantage to this is that you accumulate lots of the little extras and that is what (for me) really brings the Playmo world to life.  It also allows the imagination to take over.  For instance my boy had a pirate dinner party the other night. It eventually degenerated into a battle ending in stolen treasure but for a while there it was quite civilized with food, wine, music etc.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 20:31:07 »
Hi tlc,
I wish I could tell you a way to keep to a confined amount of Playmobil. This toy is so detailed & trying to find a way to stay to a minimum is impossible for me! The toys are large and great for children to play with because they can feel & see the details so well. It's difficult to get just one set in a theme & not get the rest of them. This is a quality toy that will evolve with your children & if taken care of can be passed to future generations.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 20:32:36 »
Im doomed to buy all I can get my hands on! so... no guidelines  :lol: :lol: :lol:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline tlc

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 21:14:43 »
In keeping with my minimalist tendencies, I have this dream for playmobil to create a Greek Mythology set that is really quite economical and inspirational for getting kids interested in the Greek Myths.

My daughter is a little bit nutty about the Greek Myths right now; so, that is what got me thinking about this.

The set could consist of:

2 male klickies (blond and dark haired) - dressed in general greek garb
2 female klickies (blond and dark haired) - dressed in general greek garb
1 child klicky
1 baby klicky
animals (e.g. cow, horse, serpent, goat, spider, scorpion, etc.)
tons of accessories (e.g.  crowns, fruit, wings, scepter, lyre, trident, thunderbolts, swords, armor, boat, chariot, flowers, fire, helmets, single centered eye, etc.)
a booklet summarizing a dozen or so well-known greek myths

The accessories become the key here.  The klickies would be personalized into one or another god/goddess with the accessories to make them mortal vs. divine, good vs. bad, human vs. animal.  And the other klickies become the supporting characters in each myth.

Not only could kids be inspired to learn more about these myths, the very foundation of cultural literacy, but they could also act/play them out.

Maybe even a Norse Myths expansion pack.

There.  I said it.

tlc

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 21:25:00 »
I'm afraid "minimalist" is not in my vocabulary when it comes to Playmobil  :-[ The best way we deal with Playmobil "clutter", if there is such a thing, is to set aside a small space specifically for Playmobil. For example, we have a display table (with storage) that we have much of our Playmobil collection out on at any given time. The rest is in airtight storage containers in the garage or a closet. However, I will warn you that Playmobil is extremely addictive. With themes tending to bleed into one another, it is difficult to constrain. Then there is the indescribable feeling of buying new Playmobil  :yippee: that just feeds the addiction. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. Best of luck!  :wave:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 22:45:39 »
I'm afraid "minimalist" is not in my vocabulary when it comes to Playmobil  :-[ The best way we deal with Playmobil "clutter", if there is such a thing, is to set aside a small space specifically for Playmobil. For example, we have a display table (with storage) that we have much of our Playmobil collection out on at any given time. The rest is in airtight storage containers in the garage or a closet. However, I will warn you that Playmobil is extremely addictive. With themes tending to bleed into one another, it is difficult to constrain. Then there is the indescribable feeling of buying new Playmobil  :yippee: that just feeds the addiction. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. Best of luck!  :wave:

Agreed.
Tic you must be the first and only minimalist here. We'll convert you!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 23:46:19 »
Your minimalist ideas are very interesting! As Gaston said, I'm sure you're the first minimalist here. But i like your philosophy when it comes to buying for kids. I guess it keeps them from getting too spoiled with too many toys, or from being overwhelmed.

But we adult collectors love to spoil ourselves!  :love:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 23:47:56 »
I just look, and if I like what I see, then the wallet comes out! ;D

Damo :)