Author Topic: Wondering if Geobra will follow LEGO (no recycled plastic)  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Wondering if Geobra will follow LEGO (no recycled plastic)
« on: September 26, 2023, 16:24:51 »
“Lego, the world’s largest toymaker, has abandoned a plan to start making its iconic bricks from recycled drink bottles instead of oil-based plastic.

the Danish company, which makes billions of Lego pieces each year, has found that making bricks from recycled polyethylene terephthalate (RPET) would lead to higher carbon emissions.”

Geobra started making Playmobil out of some form of recycled material. I’m never a fan of this as I’m interested in longevity . All the rubbery parts are quite questionable but the recycled ones pose other issues

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Wondering if Geobra will follow LEGO (no recycled plastic)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 18:42:15 »
Playmobil have been recycling plastic of many years, damaged or below standard pieces being ground down and then remelted.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 06:52:50 »
My mother told me about this today. I assume they are still melting down failed bricks, etc. It sounded like the problem was this other type of plastic.

Has Playmobil stated what plastic it's using in the Wiltopia and other recycled sets?

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 14:13:13 »

Has Playmobil stated what plastic it's using in the Wiltopia and other recycled sets?

That’s what I was wondering as well  , the Wiltopia . I thought they had a claim of a certain percentage of “post consumer products” ?

Recycled never made sense to me, just buy quality that lasts and pass it down for generations
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 05:39:56 »
That’s what I was wondering as well  , the Wiltopia . I thought they had a claim of a certain percentage of “post consumer products” ?

They do. I don't remember the exact percentage.

They should probably take a look at some of their packaging if they want to trim waste.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 05:45:11 »
They do. I don't remember the exact percentage.

They should probably take a look at some of their packaging if they want to trim waste.

Are you talking about the 12”x 10”x 24” box’s that have just a few parts in them all individually bagged , then Amazon puts them in an even bigger box to ship them  :hmm:

It’s the German air we’re purchasing that’s in those blue box’s

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 22:18:23 »

Recycled never made sense to me, just buy quality that lasts and pass it down for generations

Wiltopia is made of 80% recycled refrigerator plastics. That is the reason also for some of the off the mark colors typical for Wiltopia, they are ussually less saturated because refrigerator plastic already is full of white pigments, no matter what amount of different pigments you add, you'll always end up with a pastel effect.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 15:29:08 »
Interesting ,

I suspected something was not typical with the use of old parts recycling and the newly advertised “post consumer products” campaign

In paint when you add a bunch of random colors together you get a random color that’s quite ugly. You can’t just add more color pigment additive  to correct it as there is a maximum amount of pigment you can add before the paint is a useless quality

I’d imagine plastic is similar

Thanks for the info

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 16:53:32 »
Wiltopia is made of 80% recycled refrigerator plastics. That is the reason also for some of the off the mark colors typical for Wiltopia, they are ussually less saturated because refrigerator plastic already is full of white pigments, no matter what amount of different pigments you add, you'll always end up with a pastel effect.

This is really interesting. I can't get used to the faded colours...

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 00:00:21 »
This is really interesting. I can't get used to the faded colours...

Ya, I’m not a big fan of that either

I also wonder about longevity