Author Topic: Developing System X - or "Don't bring back Steck..."  (Read 21498 times)

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
Developing System X - or "Don't bring back Steck..."
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:09 »
Often people want Geobra to bring back Steck (and some do this very often, don't they, Giorginetto?  :lol: :lol: :lol:), some even say there should even be a new "Construction System", I am surly not one of those, as you all know I am a Sys-X fanatic (you might know my 3d-sysX-project), but yes there is a reason why so many people are talking about hots and nots concerning the possibility of construction sets in the PM-universe. Since some time Geobra has nearly NO construction System at all. Most of the newer sets are even not System X but something in between nothing... This breaks the hearts of all builders!  (So yes, maybe one day I will be as frustrated as Giorginetto, but saying "Bring back System X). So I have started this new topic to try to show that

(a) there is no need for a totally new construction system
(b) there is no need to bring back Steck
(c) therefor it is a must to develop System X in more detail and make it available to more themes

Why? You might question that, because what is left then is System X and (it's a pity but) this System seems not to be as popular as e:g: Steck for other than modern themes. That this do not hold even today is really true and can be easily shown with some designs by some users (as I always try to show in mine too). There is so much creativity in this system and nearly none design is in principle impossible. But yes, I said in principal, because yes there is a real lack in System X within some kind of parts, especially those in which Steck is strong. So this thread now is maybe what was cachalotes first idea when he started "System X designer wanted".
In this sense I just try to show and discuss with you, how in my opinion Sys-X should be supported by Geobra to create a really allround but perfect system for all kind of builders, customizers, collectors but also kids  ;D...

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Developing System X - or "Don't bring back Steck..."
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:23 »
A major plus of the Steck-System is, that it holds parts, that have never made for Sys-X  but are a must for medivel but also fruitfull in all time lines (maybe not stoneage), namely framework parts for those cute framework houses.
I nearly dream everyday about Geobra will release one day nice versions for System X, but yet they have not done it….

As you know I have tried to create such houses with existing parts already (look at these very first pics of my „Port Pleamo“, which will be presentated soon in a different thread, of course), but still I am dreaming of more…

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:37:42 »
…so I started to design my versions. The shown pics are only first sketchy ideas but they should be sufficient to show, that Geobra have only to produce a VERY LITTLE new parts but the possibilities would be nearly endless.

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:38:24 »
Some of these possibillities are shown in these examples which maybe could be transformed to real sets by Geobra. Maybe a new era of civilian medival buildings could rise up with such parts…

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:54:18 »

(b) there is no need to bring back Steck

george will have a heart attack if he sees that  :lol: :lol: :lol:  i belive steck is the best system for playmobil building especially with castles ,and it must be improved more!!!!

the problem with systemx are the annoying holes ...

The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:24:06 »
george will have a heart attack if he sees that  :lol: :lol: :lol:

This might be, so we should declare that this thread contains dangerous content, shouldn't we?

But back to the issue... I'm very sorry that you have not got my point, maybe I was not clear in what I had in mind! I really had not in mind to discuss which Ssystem is the best  here (there are a lot of threads doing so... and none is really coming to a conclusion... so here I wanted do do a different approach, but you are right I have do more words on what my reasoning was...

i belive steck is the best system for playmobil building especially with castles ,and it must be improved more!!!!
Yes you are right AT THE MOMENT, and that's the main reason why I want to develop SysX!  ??? Sounds strange?
In my opinion there can be no serious discussion if someone says that Steck is in principal the best construction system (the same is true for the opposite). Me too once was a "Stecker", I really hated Sys-X in the beginning but now all my Steck-parts are in some boxes probably never to be used in future. Why? I guess everyone that really have had a close contact to Sys-X (and I do not mean having one or two sets) have to realize the superb and elegant possibilities of this system. Yes, I know about all the difficulties of SysX and alll the arguments for or against it (or vice versa).
I guess our way should not be to tell Geobra "forget all your work of the last decades and bring back what you have droped for some reasons!" but to look forward and improve the (for a global construction) best system ever made by them with all what was good within Steck.
For short: the whole issue is an issue of part design! The system is only a second step... so if they will bring back Steck, really nothing is won, because then they have to do nearly the same part design to integrate all the possibilities of SysX into Steck, otherwise where would be the advantage expect for some collectors? So why not thinking about the more fruitfull system instead of accepting the major disadvantages of Steck (Yes, it's a nice System, but it is much more limited than SysX ever could be).

the problem with systemx are the annoying holes ...

...now we comes closer to what we should think about... what are the problems to be solved within this approach? and yes, you are right the holes are a problem, but not as serious as it is discussed so often! Even now there are a lot of possibilities NOT to have these holes, but again, here all begins: This is a question of part design, not a problem in principal!
Soon I wanted to present you my opinion and solutions to that point, too! So yes I want to underline your point but do not share your conclusion....

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:03:51 by Sir Pleamo »

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:55 »
Sir Pleamo, I am not that familiar with System X, so I really should keep my mouth shut.  I think I have given away all the bits and pieces that I acquired through buying lots on eBay. 
The houses and buildings that you have created are very clever and beautiful.  In this sense I can see the flexibility of the System X parts as opposed to Steck.  I enjoy building, but really hate taking a hack saw or dremel to Steck parts in order to make them fit.  I look forward to learning more.  Thanks for this thread.
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:51:07 »

The houses and buildings that you have created are very clever and beautiful

yes i'll second that !!!!  :)   

personally i judje from the playmobil sets i've seen ,many customs with systemx are truly magnificent , but almost all of the playmobil sets with system x are ugly with exception the 3019 first fairy tale castle . all the steck sets are great and easy to play (i remember when i was a kid the system x buildings all the time stuff where falling out while playing with it ) why playmobil stopped the steck system does anyone know?  :hmm:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:14:16 »
SP,
A wonderful thread showing the possibilities of Sys X with a few more parts from PM! It is great that you are focusing on this aspect of building...let's get beyond the competition between multiple buldling systems and see what can be done with a few more parts for Sys X. (I agree that it has a lot of promise, and that is why I have been stockpiling the building parts.) In the end, it does not matter which system you prefer because no one really cares.

So let's help SP with ideas for which pieces are needed the most for Sys X and quit whining about which system is best. I am a relative newbie and am already very tired of reading about why one system is better than the other. We each make our own choice, and should be mature enough to follow a discussion of either one without cheering for our favorites.

So if all you can eat and breathe is Steck, please post your comments on another thread. And let SP share his ideas. I know these are harsh words, but this is his thread on Sys X. Phew! Thanks, Pgal
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 12:58:20 »
I agree 110% that System X could be developed into a great construction system, thank you for your efforts to work on this issue. We haven't had many great buildings in a while (still hoping for a grist mill for the poor medieval peasants to grind their flour.. and a nice thatched house)

I think the biggest "problem" with system x has been that there is currently no reliable mechanism for getting the parts you need to finish a project.

An online DS Parts ordering section would do wonders for solving this (think ordering online from the factories in Europe and when PM USA for example gets their next shipment... there is a DS box pre-labeled and packed for you in which you actually get ALL the parts you ordered... confirmation of price and availability instant online BUT would have to be only for large orders to make it feasible... $150 plus, with small orders handled the same way as now).

Making parts available in moderately toned neutral colors would also help, as would classic look medieval buildings as that seems to be a major sticking point for steckers (myself included).

BUT I love the system x church and would definitely have more had it been grey or even all the same color... too much contrast in a lot of the prepared sets makes it hard to really get into the system...

All things considered there are aspects of all the building systems, including the clip system too while we are at it that I like... but I'd like to see more developments as shown in the previously posted pictures and have "boring" non-printed people whose accessories can be changed easily, like the old days when a cowboy could be a knight, then a pirate, or even a spaceman with a few part changes... not forever assigned to his fate in the factory  :'(  But I digress...
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.