Author Topic: 2023 Catalogs Online  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
Re: 2023 Catalogs Online
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 08:26:28 »
There is an ancient biplane (thought it might be older than me, but no... :P, from 1977), that also was available in the ds later:
https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=3246x
https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=7726

As to the jet, there have been at least a couple of them, of that "click and go" type:
https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=4342
https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=5162

These are a LOT larger, though (I think, from pics I've seen).. The price is insane though, and the stupid blinkie winkies don't help :(  But I want them, especially the biplane...

Shows you how observant I am...there's actually two jet planes in the latest catalogue. One of them is with the police.  But yes, the biplane is superb. I wonder when we'll see a tank? (or has there already been one ???)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 11:02:10 »
I wonder when we'll see a tank? (or has there already been one ???)

I know that we've had Playmobil conventions demolished time and time again, but I think a tank would be beyond the pale for Playmobil.

I do think the bi-plane is cute, but I think the colour scheme rules it out for me.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 16:33:55 »
would be beyond the pale for Playmobil.

No too long ago collectors would have said the same thing about Playmobil/Disney collaboration

Hans and Horst are gone and anything is possible with a revolving board of directors
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 19:55:31 »
No too long ago collectors would have said the same thing about Playmobil/Disney collaboration

Hans and Horst are gone and anything is possible with a revolving board of directors

I'm not saying I'm not open to change - because I tend to be pretty relaxed about what Playmobil do - but I think it goes way back. Licensing, sure, but I'd chuck 'dinosaurs' 'aliens' 'humanoid Rabbits' and 'mythical beasts' as all things which sit uneasily in the original vision of Playmobil.

I think the reputational damage would hold them off producing 'modern' war toys, but nothing is permanently off the table.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 19:32:18 »
The cynic in me would not be surprised to see modern weaponry -even tanks- produced in Playmobil form (actually, modern weapons are already there in the hands of SWAT representations). I've quoted the following example before; a few years ago the Early Learning Centre (a UK high street chain priding themselves on the educational value of the toys they sold) ran a TV advert in which a Barbie Doll and an Action Man tried unsuccessfully to get into the shop to be put on sale alongside other toys. A couple of years later, Barbies were on the shelves of ELC. So much for principles when commercial issues come to play. Mind you, ELC did change hands several times before it disappeared altogether, so the change in marketing policy which allowed Barbies in was probably due to a change in ownership.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 00:32:59 »

Not too long ago this would have been unthinkable
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 00:35:34 »
And look at all the rocket launchers they mount on just about anything, including animals

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2022, 01:07:04 »
I still think there's a difference between the 'fantasy' rocket launchers, and the one-off special figure/ armed police figures (which I personally find distasteful) and a full range prominent in the eyes of parents.

I honestly think having to devote a page of the catalogue to 'soldiers killing people' will hold them back from a full on modern range of weapons, but I don't think it's impossible.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2022, 01:38:16 »
I personally would prefer that Geobra stuck to the classics . All theses rocket launchers and laser guns detract from the original charm Playmobil had . The licensing agreements don’t even bother me as much as the emphasis on modern violence . Why the heck do dinosaurs and war have to be a theme ?

Oh well, plenty of other sets to collect

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2022, 07:55:33 »
I still think there's a difference between the 'fantasy' rocket launchers, and the one-off special figure/ armed police figures (which I personally find distasteful) and a full range prominent in the eyes of parents.

I honestly think having to devote a page of the catalogue to 'soldiers killing people' will hold them back from a full on modern range of weapons, but I don't think it's impossible.

What I have noticed though, is that the playmobil police force is extremely well armed. Machine guns, attack helicopters and a fighter plane.  If there is a tank, I strongly suspect it will be part of the police theme.