Author Topic: 4774 "TAKE-ALONG"  (Read 10733 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
4774 "TAKE-ALONG"
« on: September 05, 2008, 21:37:30 »

4774 Barbarian "Take-Along" Fort

This was a set that I almost didn't buy!

At $12.99 USD it's not exactly a great bargain.

You only get two Klickys with some accessories and a child's take along toy.

I was looking at all the Playmobil sets on the shelves in the Target store. I don't know why, but for some reason, I just kept going back to this set. And, I'm glad I did.

This set was first mentioned in a topic posted by Gepetto. click HERE.

And, Heather has already done a complete inventory. Click HERE.

This is pure Playmobil quality! It's made in the Czech Republic, but it looks like it came from Dietenhofen. The little fort is skillfully crafted and the door is almost worth the price of the entire set. The door is absolutely beautiful!

I can almost visualize this "fort" guarding a snowy mountain pass. Or, as part of a larger fortress ... perhaps as the watchtower or guardhouse.

This is a set that captures the imagination. It has great play value and can fit into many different scenarios.

If you like early medieval history or heroic fantasy, this is a set that you might want to give a second look. I'm very happy that I didn't pass it by.

see attachments

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: 4774 "TAKE-ALONG"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 21:39:07 »

It looks like with some patience, and a bit of skil, the back could be disassembled.

see attachments

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 21:39:46 »

Continued ...

see attachments

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 21:52:39 »

This is pure Playmobil quality! It's made in the Czech Republic, but it looks like it came from Dietenhofen.

It did indeed almost certainly come from Dietenhofen, Richard. The Czech plant is basically an assembly/packaging plant for labour intensive items, e.g. the take away cases and Advent calendars, although there are plans for it to produce items in the future.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 23:05:14 »

It did indeed almost certainly come from Dietenhofen, Richard. The Czech plant is basically an assembly/packaging plant for labour intensive items, e.g. the take away cases and Advent calendars, although there are plans for it to produce items in the future.

Thanks for the info, Gordon!

Oftentimes, they will put "Assembled in ..." when the product is made elsewhere. However, the box says, "Made in Czech Republic" ... So, maybe they're anticipating their "future production" in the Czech Republic.

Regardless, it's a very well made set. Let's hope that when the Czech Republic actually does begin production, that this is the quality that we'll see.

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 23:22:22 »

MORE ...

There are a few more items "stuffed" into the tiny fort. One is a barbarian version of the Roman Scorpion. Probably not very historically accurate, but if you have some Playmobil rubber bands (elastics), you can actually make it shoot the projectiles. Click HERE!

see attachments

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 00:59:49 »
Although it's not my theme, that looks a nice set, worth it for the Playmobilness alone in many ways.  (Although I don't collect the pirate theme, I have the 3863 pirate captain solely for that reason - the detail, the quality and the unusual choice of items for what is, after all, a toy).  So thank you, Richard, for the review (and apologies for the earlier "interruption").  I wonder who will be first either to (a) disassemble it or (b) incorporate it in a larger custom or (c) do both?

PS: this "made in" business is a funny thing.  Apparently, it is possible to credit production to the country where "work" was last done on a product.  I heard on the radio this morning that you could, for example, import dead chickens from China, wash them in a saline solution and pack them in a plastic bag and market them as "produce of Great Britain"!  In the case of the Czech plant, it looks as if parts produced in Malta and maybe also Dietenhofen are shipped to the Czech factory where they are then brought together into the finished sets and marked as made in Czech Republic.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:05:03 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:14 »
It is really quite easy to take apart .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 01:06:59 »
If you go look at my 4475 review i took it apart in a few seconds but i do not know if i liked the result on that set . I think removing the sticker would be a better solution .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 01:09:38 »
I think i also figured out how you got 2500 posts  :P

PS: thanks for a review of the set . I have been passing this one up a lot lately. I guess the figures were not that interesting to me but now that i see your point i may get it just for displays with the older fort walls .