Author Topic: PlaymoFriends 1st Birthday Celebration BBQ  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
PlaymoFriends 1st Birthday Celebration BBQ
« on: December 30, 2006, 18:56:03 »
To celebrate the 1st birthday of the PlaymoFriends forum on November 10, 2006 (cf. here) I set up a BBQ party with all those avatar figures I had at this point of time in my PlaymoFriends avatar collection.
Finally I made it, to shoot all the photos, finish my bi-lingual story board PHP template, and caption the photos.

Klick on the photo below
... to view the story (well, actually it's not a "story" but more a pictured report from the celebration activities  :-[).

Note, step-wise navigation and switching language (English <-> German) of the story can be found below the photos.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: PlaymoFriends 1st Birthday Celebration BBQ
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:38:58 »
Wonderful photos, Jochen! :wow:

And what a beautiful setting we had for our BBQ. I couldn't imagine a better place to host our first birthday celebrations! :D

Thank you for taking the time to present the event in such an entertaining way, and for all your help along the way with the creation of the PF mascot klickies. (More on that later in the other topic! ;))

I really enjoyed the humorous touches, especially Pete and Rob's behaviour and the firemen keeping a close eye on certain things. Very witty! ;D

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 02:43:31 »
Truly amazing, Jochen, with the attention to detail in the posing of the figures, what is happening in each photo and the detail in the scenes.  You've surpassed yourself! :)

The whole story must have taken you hours setting it up and photographing it,let alone the time in planning it all.  Many, many thanks for taking the time to do all this and share your work with us.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:17:22 »
Jochen, that was amazing. Truly a wonderful photo story that embodies the spirit of this board. Thank you!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 09:24:12 »
The whole story must have taken you hours setting it up and photographing it,let alone the time in planning it all.  Many, many thanks for taking the time to do all this and share your work with us.

Hm, not as many hours as I thought first. Making the photos and the setup does only take a few hours which I distributed over two days, and anyway it was a lot of fun (I should do more of this stuff). But truly saying I was thinking about the story itself for several weeks, so planning took quite a while, but this has been no explicit time but was an "ongoing" task done during showering, teeth cleaning or driving on the autobahn ;D. However in the end I have taken much more pics than originally planned (I was thinking of about 5-7).

Most work was building up the stage, not only for this purpose but hopefully also for future photo shootings. With this "permanently" installed stage I hope that I can provide photos and stories much fast than in the past. I've found a little corner in our house (in the basement, or to be concrete in the heating room  :-[) where I can install this little stage without "disturbing" my wife too much  >:D :P

The stage is built from pressboard; the lawn lays lose on the floor board to be exchanged for other ground materials. The sky is fixed with permanent spray glue to the backdrop board. It's exchangeable so that I can use different backgrounds (at the right hand side of the referenced photo below you can see another background scenery). On my standard sky I finally added some hill silhouettes, because my wife always criticizes, that my standard flat horizon without any landscape rise doesn't look very natural -- and she was absolutely right. I also installed two neon tubes with natural light (from the aquarium supplies) for the lightning. Although I'm still not satisfied 100% with the light, it has become much better than every other light source I used so far; it can be seen quite good in the historgramm of my painting software that this light uses nearly the whole color spectrum of the natural (sun) light.

I hope I do not spoil the story when I provide here a photo which has been shot from "a few steps backwards"  to show the setup . For those who do not want to see it: don't klick the link  ;D ... for those who are interested in HOWTOs -- like myself  ;D -- take a look. (Somehow the shine suddenly vanishs not looking thru the lense anymore, but on the surroundings  :lol:)

Also bigger efforts have been preparing the bi-lingual "slideshow" PHP scripts (I implemented it by my own) and scaling/cropping the photos together with captioning them. Especially the last mentioned task took even longer than I expected.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 09:42:55 »
But truly saying I was thinking about the story itself for several weeks, so planning took quite a while, but this has been no explicit time but was an "ongoing" task done during showering, teeth cleaning or driving on the autobahn ;D.

The same way I tell teachers to write the units of work for their students and as I write my sermons!

Thanks, too, for all the information and the extra photo of the setup.  It certainly doesn't spoil things for me, just makes me all the more impressed with what you do and how you do it (and maybe slightly jealous.  I hope when we move that we will have space for a permanent Playmobil area.).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 10:11:37 »
Jochen, you are truly brilliant! I really enjoyed this story and all the thoughtful details.  :D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 21:37:37 »
Wonderful series of photos Jochen. Very entertaining. I also find that a lot of the time is in the setting up. Once that is done I want to take lots of pictures since I know I will be moving things again to something else.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 14:10:14 »

Wonderful, Jochen!

I really felt like I was actually attending your wonderful barbeque!
(I would have replied sooner, but I was exhausted after all the work you got me to do} ... ;)

Thank you very much, Jochen!

It is also time for me to begin using my splendid NEW avatar that you created for me!

Thanks again and all the best in 2007,
Richard

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:11:42 »
It is a brilliant story...  :D
I pretty much enjoyed attending the barbeque, even
though it got a little cold in your basement after a while... ;)

Do you mind showing some closer pictures of the matches?
I bet you did again something fancy and build a very realistic
matches box... ;)

I love your meticulous setups...  :love:

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen