Author Topic: Mutant Chicken Dragon wing fix - set 5840  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Mutant Chicken Dragon wing fix - set 5840
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:49:38 »
Ok here goes my first how to  :-[

First the tools - Drill, 2 bits .076 & .177, Screwdriver, hobby knife, 2 bolts and nuts size 2-56 x 1/2" long .

Remove the ball joint. Use the screwdriver and using the body as a leverage point pop out the socket

Drill holes in the wing. Use the small bit to drill a hole directly in the center of the tab intended to hold the wing on , make sure it is square to the joint

Counter sink. Use the larger bit and drill a slight hole on both sides  for a recess for the bolt head and the nut . only drill the depth of the head and nut so they will not protrude once together . no image

Tread in the bolt. With the joint in place, screw the bolt in.  Use the knife to clean up where the nut goes so it will be able to catch the threads when you press it in and tighten. Make sure the bolt head and nut do not stick out of the ball joint

Snap the joint. with the assembled wings use a little oil ( WD-40 or silicone ) snap the joints back in place . move the joints around a lot to work out any stiffness .

The creature is now ready to take on anybody with out the fear of needing to be a chicken with its wings cut off
 ;D
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Mutant Chicken Dragon wing fix - set 5840
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:50:17 »
Send this to Playmobil--they'll either beg you to join staff, or make you disappear because their toys are always designed to top quality, no exceptions.

But seriously, I thought of how great a fix like this would be, but was too much of a wimp to risk prying the shoulder socket out and breaking something (God help me--it's a tall $19.99).

So thanks Ras for showing that it is possible and providing the details.

Challenge 2: Can you make the "Dragon-Wing" Knight's boyfriend look less fruity?  Are those lightning bolts under his eyes, or did he stay up too late last night watching reruns of Frasier?

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:06:33 »
Challenge 2: Can you make the "Dragon-Wing" Knight's boyfriend look less fruity?  Are those lightning bolts under his eyes, or did he stay up too late last night watching reruns of Frasier?

I thought he was auditioning for KISS.

Someone did a cool custom on Playmofriends using this figure.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 15:40:04 »
Great how-to Rasputin! Well laid out and nicely photographed, seems very effective. Thank you!

Gepetto

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 16:02:54 »
No reflection on your wing-fix craftsmanship Rasputin which is first class, but doesn't the paint job on the dragon's belly look a bit, well, shoddy? There are fingerprints all over it.

I still plan to get one of these when the opportunity arises, and I'll be fixing the wings your way if they are too annoying.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 16:20:56 »
Thanks for the comments on my first "How to" It took me a while, image hosting problem and computer crashing with lost text  >:(

Tim- if it broke i would have taken it back to Target and vented some steam  >:D
why i am very sure i can help anybody loose some fruit. A month working for me and you will want to join the Army

Martin- I am a very messy man . I am organized but messy. That is oil all over him and my carefully guarded identity :lens: I am sure after i repaired a few dozen i will have it streamlined . ;)

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Knightmo

• Playmo Fanatic
    • JimEffect
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:12 »
Wow. Cool, I may try this.

--with this done, I may also try removing the "shoulder" above the joint, so it can actually flap its wing.

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:45 »

Martin- I am a very messy man . I am organized but messy. That is oil all over him and my carefully guarded identity :lens: I am sure after i repaired a few dozen i will have it streamlined . ;)

Rofl

How that sounds familiar

Very well done on the "Fix the wings explanation "
couldn't come up with a better way

fast , easy and CLEAN  ;) ;D       damnd high resolution cameras ;)

no need for paint and I believe , anybody with a little handyness can fix his own dragon

all the best

I somewherefoundpicciesonthenetfromyourst uffathomecannotrememberwhereIbrowsetoom anyfora,

I like you
;D ;D ;D ;)

One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 13:10:55 »
Well done Rasputin!
You could get a job in the aviation industry bolting wings on 747s :yup:

Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 13:14:52 »
Wow. Cool, I may try this.

Good idea Knightmo...I think I have all the hardware you will need at the house. :yup:

See ya,
Dadmo ;D