Author Topic: The New Jeep  (Read 12877 times)

Offline Outback

• The Original Playmo Jeep Guy!
  • Playmo Fanatic
  • Everything Playmobil Jeep!
    • Jeepmobil is being revamped - but there's Jeeps here!
Re: The New Jeep
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 02:39:58 »
That's kind of a neat little unit. What do they use them for? Construction? Delivery? Are they 4wd?

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:00:19 »
 :)
it is used as a jeep, with the same possibilities - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haflinger .
my friend used it to travel around from his weekend house near a lake.
it was very useful in trial-like paths (all the ones surrounding his house) and performed very well on mud and rocky surfaces.
i mostly liked its spartan look, quite different from the luxurious look-a-like, fuel eaters, glossy painted s.u.v.s.
it was fun to drive it, going to the nearest village to buy bread and milk.
if you know the mercedes-unimog trucks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog) consider the haflinger as a kid brother.

honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 13:26:48 »
This will also interest you, Dunc, the Steyr Puch Pinzgauer.  These are three operated by the Isle of Mann Fire Brigade.  Note the registration number, 999; all IOM fire engines have this.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 17:02:27 »
Those are cool too. they remind me of the big rallye trucks.

Yes I am familiar with Unimog, would love to own one, but they are not common here. The axles are highly coveted.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 17:09:22 »
Those are cool too. they remind me of the big rallye trucks.

In real life, they are actually quite compact.  I'll see if I can find a photo of one alongside a normal fire engine.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 18:34:19 »
Couldn't find a photo, but the fire version is 2.2m high, 5.26m long and 1.8m wide with a ground clearance of 36cm.  It carries a crew of 5, 200 gallons of water and a portable pump.  Weight is 5,000kg and payload 2,400kg.  Max speed is 120kph.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 17:43:54 »
maybe the new unimog, with a more american look, might also please you.
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 19:01:59 »
Here's an example. :)

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 22:54:14 »
Actually Cachalote, I prefer the older type mogs. That traditional looking ones. Matchbox used to make one back in the 60's, it was a light blue with orangey yellow and removable tires.

That truck looks very cool Gordon, that's not playmo though is it?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 02:44:44 »
Actually Cachalote, I prefer the older type mogs. That traditional looking ones. Matchbox used to make one back in the 60's, it was a light blue with orangey yellow and removable tires.

I, too, at one time preferred the old style, but having bought one of the new style I found it grew on me.

That truck looks very cool Gordon, that's not playmo though is it?

No it's not, Dunc.  It's made in China and in the UK it's imported by a firm called Peterkin and in Germany by a firm called Dickie.  Interestingly, the original model imported into the UK didn't have the MB three-pointed star on the bonnet, but the newer version does.

There are three versions, one with an opening rear compartment which houses a hose for connection to the working trailer pump.  The second version comes with a built-in water tank and pump and the rear compartment doesn't open.  This version comes with a very detailed rescue boat and trailer.  The third version, unique to Germany, has the built-in water tank and working siren (European tatu tatu style and US), flashing blue lights and flashing headlights. All have opening lockers and doors, removeable ladder and water monitor.   I've got all three and hope to add the German version with the water pump to my collection shortly.

If you want, I can post more pics.