Author Topic: Vintage Playmobil gems in Japan  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Vintage Playmobil gems in Japan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:24 »
Then the internet and ebay killed that, now people know what they have is worth if they put a little time to look it up...

The curse (and blessing) of globalization!  ???
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 16:07:40 »
There's a phrase in the vintage car world: "barn find".

Seriously though have you ever thought about how many rare sets are out there somewhere, in attics or basements?  :lens:

In German, the equivalent is 'Dachbodenfund' (attic find). The cynic in me thinks this is a useful word to jam into an eBay listing, like 'vintage' and 'rare' on English-language listings, words which seldom reflect the true nature of the item on offer but make people think the item must be worth having.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 15:28:49 »
Congratulations on your find. I've been to Tokyo a couple of times, and a visit to Nakano Broadway has always been a highlight. On one occasion I managed to find a couple of MISB Western sets from the North and South 90s golden era. Weren't very expensive, either. Much less than what they were going for at the time on ebay. I always go to town with my toy-buying when I'm there.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."