Author Topic: 5841 ROMAN FORT  (Read 12727 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: 5841 ROMAN FORT
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:23 »
Hey Gus, when the Greeks called outsiders "jabber-jabber-ers", they didn't intend that as a term of endearment.

I suspect that the Greeks would not entirely have disapproved of Playmobil's interpretation of the term.

-Tim

You said it all, Tim:
not entirely
Only part of them, therefore ;D I'm with this part(y).

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 23:30:22 »

You said it all, Tim:  Only part of them, therefore ;D I'm with this part(y).

Gus

Speak your mind, Gus.  This wishy-washy round-about speaking is, well, round-about and wishy-washy.

Recap:
I regarded your insertion of the etymology behind the word "barbarian" to be a non-sequitor, on the grounds that "barbarian" didn't mean "foreign" like our neutral English term, but meant "one of those outsiders who speaks all that jabber-jabber". 

People associated with speaking gibberish tend not to be associated with being intelligent or civilized (note how we Americans like to imitate Chinese by saying "wah-wah" or "me no need washy-washy").  Additionally, considering how insular those ancient cultures were (and our modern cultures still are), I think we're making a safe assumption that "barbarian" even to the Greeks, more or less meant "less civilized, less smart, and not us."

Your employment of etymological context was more interesting than relevant to your statement.

-Tim

-Tim

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:29 »
Recap:
I regarded your insertion of the etymology behind the word "barbarian" to be a non-sequitor, on the grounds that "barbarian" didn't mean "foreign" like our neutral English term, but meant "one of those outsiders who speaks all that jabber-jabber".  1

People associated with speaking gibberish tend not to be associated with being intelligent or civilized (note how we Americans like to imitate Chinese by saying "wah-wah" or "me no need washy-washy").  Additionally, considering how insular those ancient cultures were (and our modern cultures still are), I think we're making a safe assumption that "barbarian" even to the Greeks, more or less meant "less civilized, less smart, and not us.2

On 1. The Playmobil use, I understood, was "barbarian" for "ancient Russians" (?)*, pushed by "Hunos" into Europe (...). Why not to call them by the right name, after all? Anyway, "for children", in an imaginary designer's though, "these guys will be ... uh ... Barbarians!" (And people around thought "yes, yes, good, good", and nodded ...)

Unfortunately, those aren't common "Barbarians" ... To call them so is a bit ... pushy (is it a word?).

On 2. The general idea is that, for Greeks and for Romans, by inheritance, "Barbarians" meant "less civilized", and "not us" (because "they speak nothing we Romans can understant and they don't speak Greek, which us, Romans, respect"**) ...

Even so, there would be those who'd think "oh no, because they don't speak Latin or Greek, it doesn't mean they can't be a valuable, hounorable or cunning people! ..." One of the things I tried to remark was that, even then, both opinions would live together ... As usual, and of course.

Anyway, you took the general idea, Tim. Only, when I said that, to me, "Barbarians" is "not us", I'm defending the primary etymological concept ... In a way, although I can speak a bit of English, I'm not you, English speakers ... I'm very Barbarian myself! I dress a reasonably efficient disguise ;)

Gus

---

*Needs research, I'm not speaking with background, nor am I payed to do so (...) ;D
 ::)

:hmm:

**M. Tullius Cicero did say that Rome should carefully continue the steps of Greece in civilizing the world (...), of course, not in these words.
Gus

Offline tanotrooper

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 15:04:16 »
are there any plans for releasing this set in Europe? With the sand base, it might be useful for a trench?

TT
Si pacem vis, para bellum.

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 20:35:20 »
Hi Richard,

thx for the pictures and review !!

:wow:

world greets

Andi

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 13:28:59 »
 :yup: i just found this new set of romans on sale on the target.com website
apparently it is only available in target stores in the us. :'(
 :-[ i have to confess i find the roman playmo-family great.
maybe if, one day, the pirates are taken out from production, i will turn into romans.
 :hmm: i thought this would never happen but, looking at the recent afican pirates' attacks on ships, maybe the playmo-pirates could be considered a "dangerous" option in toys.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:35:08 by cachalote »
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 13:43:06 »
You'd better be quick, looks like they might go the way of the Vikings in a couple of years from what we've been told.

This is a great starter set and display piece, but I have all the figures so there's nothing I'd want here.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 00:43:20 »
:hmm: i thought this would never happen but, looking at the recent afican pirates' attacks on ships, maybe the playmo-pirates could be considered a "dangerous" option in toys.[/font]

Somali pirates, so I am told, don't say "Shiver me timbers."

But, yeah, didn't Malaysia ban PM's pirate theme?

But I would starting fretting yet, Cachalote.  When you consider PM makes "bank robber" toys (a felony in the USA), the souls of politically correct children may find themselves under increasing temptation from the pirate theme.

-Tim

Offline customan

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 17:22:24 »
OK...!! :love: :D

That's great !