Author Topic: why steck won't be succesfull if they will be realesed again??  (Read 7281 times)

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
Re: why steck won't be succesfull if they will be realesed again??
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 22:26:30 »
all these are are true yes but if we see what playmobil has made in the building systems i mean steck is the best no holes....plus others if they make new moulds and new disighns with the same system . i  don't mean to make a new castle let's say with all the same walls of the privious steck castles but to make whole different pieces and a different appearance to the new castle !!! so it would be as if a new system would be made !!!! and system x is old if we take it that way they 've made everything with it, houses castles so if they make a new set they would put some of the privious realesed parts so both systems are in the same kategory they are both old building ways !!!! but why playmobil is wanting system x more that's why i don't understand they must have something in their mind  !!!!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 22:58:18 »
Hah, I think I found a reason!  :D
I compared two pretty much comparable pieces:
30 20 6520 - Wall, plain, stonework, 1 unit wide (System X) : weight 30g (including 4 red connectors!)
30 07 6680 - Wall, Flat with Arrow-Slit : weight 44g

That means a reduction in used material of about 33% or in other words three pieces for the price of two.
For a company like Playmobil and the numbers they produce, this saves millions per year!

But then I dont understand the ground floors...  ???

best,
socrates

I follow the reasoning, but I don't think that's quite a fair comparison, as it's only one piece and there's more to the system.

How about assembling a single story square tower with 4 filled sides and a roof and battlements? Once you include all the connectors, corner pieces and the top, do you still have a comparable weight difference?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 00:24:32 by Martin Milner »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:20:58 »
I follow the reasoning, but I don't think that's quite a fair comparison, as it's only one piece and there's more to the system.

How about assembling a single story square tower with 4 filled sides and a roof and battlements? Once you include all the connectors, corner pieces and the top, do you still have a comparable weight difference?

that would be a great experiment...unfortunately my system x pieces and parts are stored at my parents house...

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38:47 »
Indeed, Playmobil has been launching loads of stuff with system X, since 97. Many of them are really interesting, I might even say ... With medieval/castle sets as exception. Nothing can be compared to the steck castles :no: (it's been overdiscussed already ...). (Including the excellent idea of new pieces to give more possible works with the steck castles, such as angles other than square (90°) ...)

I had never actually thought that system X makes great 1 hospitals, 2 modern houses, 3 schools, recently, &c ... It's great for these, in my opinion (despite the weird hollows :hmm: ...). But not for castles.

#Question: what building model is used in the Victorian houses ??? ? (I've never put hands on one ... I stopped collecting in 93, and came back in 2008, and, well ... discontinued stuff really isn't my focus.)

~

I wish they brought back the steck castles :love:

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 09:57:52 »
An interesting point that came to my mind yesterday was the fact that playmobil did an approach to extend steck to another world outside of the castles: They released the new generation of western houses in steck.
And they advanced them in a way that was novel: They added rigid ground floors.
(I purposely ignore here these strange black pesudo-floor pieces released before...)

So, I imagine they tried to extend steck. They also liked it. But these Western houses sucked. From my point of view especially due to the ground floors. They were static, not to be combined and completely contrary to a modular building system. At this point (well one year later) they introduced the SysX for city life and since then tried to establish this as being the major playmobil system. Obviously, they are also aware of the aesthetics of steck castles, as the introduction of the first sysX-castle took quite a while then...

Maybe it went this way... :)

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 15:42:10 »
STECK !!!!! 

It no surprise its the steck mediaval castles  and houses that are most often used in any exhibitions of playmobil designs for many years now  , and its no accident. The combination possibilities are endless and the colours used in steck mediaval houses add a strong sense of realism and high aesthetics to any bespoke or standard steck mediaval set up.  System -X is pretty good for modern life and space sets but thats about it. In addition, the western forts  for example with system x are a disaster when compared to the awesome steck western forts ( and a must for designing roman forts and viking forts ) . With steck,  realism and simplicity are added in the sets and system x well its pretty obvious to everyone i am pretty obsessed with steck and against system x. The latest clip sets are not playmoibl standards in my opinion and the GI Joe weapon types wont work for me anyways .  Bring back steck, bring back steck, bring back steck !!!!! and i am sure with the appropriate revamped sets will do much better than these clip horrid cheapish castles that get scratches and no bespoke designs or creativity applies !!! They are NOT playmobil !!!!!! Bring back Steck I say !!!!!
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 16:22:29 »
Giorginetto you're real steck figther!!! Your points make me think that I am not so much steck hardcore!!

I like the system x western forts and naval strongholds, but that's it. I got the newest Lion castle and Rock castle mostly out of couriosity but I did like the results.

I also like the newer clip castles as I think they are constructions that can stand out for themselves...they are enough to see on a diorama but not expand...

I too see the endless posibilities in steck and the main reason for liking steck better is that you do not have to pause your constructive fantasy to place the clips...you do not lose time...you just have the parts and connect them together...so much fun!!! :love: :love: :love:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 16:46:44 »
What socrates spoke is very interesting, in the point of helping us understand a bit of how it may have come to be like this ... History of playmobil.

In a way, I think System X is an improvement for modern city, school, firefighting, police, & cetera. (I don't mention space because, in my view, Playmobil was NEVER successful with it. Playmospace is cutey, but not _really_ interesting as space. (Imo.)

I agree with Gioginetto: what appears in diorama expos is Steck, up till now. (Steck & Victorian mansion.) However, a few interesting buildings with System X with the Magic Castles, for Arabian & Indian buildings, it can be used in an interesting way, and suits well ...

I like steck castles because of my childhood dreams. (The only thing I actually have is a blue framework house :P ... and of System X, the Magic Castle kitchen, which I bought because of furniture & bits mainly, but it has been useful as a room, once it's one of the few (that is 2) playmobil buildings I have. Despite being weird with the holes, & all, well, it is good to use. It may "not be playmobil" (I agree with that, in a way), but the klickys feel at home inside, once it is Playmobil-made.)

I simply wish they kept launching and selling steck as well. I'd love to see new medieval civilian sets. Steck framework houses are wonderful for it. I'd like to see new models of steck houses! :love: ... have you ever imagined that? A Mill, a round framework tower ... :love: :love: :love:

Steck has a lot of potential! :yup:

An interesting point that came to my mind yesterday was the fact that playmobil did an approach to extend steck to another world outside of the castles: They released the new generation of western houses in steck.
(I purposely ignore here these strange black pesudo-floor pieces released before...)

So, I imagine they tried to extend steck. They also liked it. But these Western houses sucked. From my point of view especially due to the ground floors. They were static, not to be combined and completely contrary to a modular building system. At this point (well one year later) they introduced the SysX for city life and since then tried to establish this as being the major playmobil system. Obviously, they are also aware of the aesthetics of steck castles, as the introduction of the first sysX-castle took quite a while then...

best,
socrates
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 16:52:40 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 16:49:00 »

best,
socrates

you're talking for the 1994 western buildings socrates??

http://www.collectobil.com/images/items/3786.jpg
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 16:50:19 »
Ps.

Western Steck ... attached

I don't know if it's good, but it's pretty too, and more playmobil like than anything!
Gus