Author Topic: 5840 new Target set  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Knightmo

• Playmo Fanatic
    • JimEffect
Re: 5840 new Target set
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 20:03:28 »
I am a bit overwhelmed by the fantasy stuff in this one, but the dragon is a definate improvement over the other one.

(and I still cant get over how much that winged knight looks like a dragon world version of my avian knight)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 20:45:09 »
I'd love to see some pictures too, Luke. Some Target sets eventually reach the UK, others don't, but as I'm planning to visit the States 2-3 time sin the coming year I might be able to pick up a few sets firsthand - if I know what stores are carrying Playmobil.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 22:09:33 »
I'd like pictures as well, Luke, please.  The fire truck in my case.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 23:56:21 »
I'd like pictures as well, Luke, please.  The fire truck in my case.

I've found pictures, I'll post them in a seperate thread!
No truck though, it flies ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 00:06:24 by hadoque »

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline starhorse

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 00:25:47 »
Check the other thread for a link to my flickr image set.  There are several other sets that aren't already pictured, such as the firetruck.

I picked up a couple of the sets, including this Dragon set.  I've gotta voice how disappointing I found the set to be.  I actually took it back 20 minutes later :(

The Dragon doesn't even seem like it's made out of the normal Playmobil quality plastic.  It's very flimsy, in fact the wings kept popping out of the joints as well as the legs.  Another thing that was disappointing about the set was the rock / cave piece.  The back of the piece is completely bare and hallow, so it acts more like cheap hollywood set than a rock wall that would work along your other Playmobil rock type pieces.

The Klickies themselves are fine, and they had some pretty cool accessories, but I really can't get over how disappointing the Dragon turned out to be.  I suppose it's possible that mine was defective since the joints kept falling out, but I really couldn't recommend it.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 13:35:06 »
That's a real shame Starhorse. I can't believe that you just happened to get the one defective set in the batch, it's more likely that the design is faulty, maybe the new plastic is too soft or soemthing.

I've noticed, particularly with recent Pirates sets, that the plastic formulation appears to have changed - some figures have a slightly waxy, translucent quality, not in itself bad, but different.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 23:12:55 »
One thing interesting about the set, though, is the subtitle "Chevaliers et dragon" in the lower left of the box.

It's odd that Playmobil would use "et" (Mississippi slang, past tense of "to eat") but the fact these new knights are dragon eaters is sort of a cool twist.

Luckily, with the dragon being cheap, soft plastic, les chevaliers ne casseront pas leurs dents.

-Tim

Offline Knightmo

• Playmo Fanatic
    • JimEffect
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 23:40:36 »
Dad and I just got the dragon set. It, along with much other new stuff is now at Frys Marketplace. 20 dollars for dragon. Cheap..and heres why:

The Dragon itself is indeed of lesser quality than usual Playmobil. The head seems up to par but the rest is not-so-good. The wings are ridiculously designed--they dont move in the way you'd expect which causes them to pop off easily. (what were they thinking?)

The paint on the claws and underbelly is slopped on with streaks of overspray in a few spots. Also, it isn't very thick and you can see red through the paint--its slight, but still..not typical Playmo. My Dad said the dragon(parts of it) may be of use as a figure head on a custom ship or something like that.

The mountain is hollow junk. --just throwing that in trash.

The knights are pretty cool, though. The winged knight better than the normal one.

Ill leave the rest of the report to Dad/Jimbo.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:00:17 by Martin Milner »

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:20:42 »
  :

Ill leave the rest of the report to Dad/Jimbo.

Well said Knightmo, (and Starhorse)
Whack the dragon head off and place it on the bow of a custom  Viking ship...take the wings and make a flying moose or something :yup:. Save the figures...toss the rock.

The figures are nice though as are the figures in the new blister packs.

That is my humble opinion...you know, opinions are like belly buttons,..everybody has one ;D.

Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 13:17:02 »
Hi all,
I may lighten up a bit on the "sorry" dragon...If Playmobil can fix the wing and leg falling off
problem..and if they are trying to get a bigger slice of the U.S. market, that might be O.K.

The box is huge, and for 20 bucks, the contents in the box is not a bad deal.  If it will bring more children into the fold, that's a good thing. :yup:

I don't think the youngsters will care so much about the paint job.  (I do hope
very much that Playmobil will keep up to its excellent standards though!)

So...Long live Playmobil!
Bless all the children!

Jimbo