Author Topic: CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures  (Read 16034 times)

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 03:08:22 »
I guess I'll have to go to computer school so I can figure this all out?  I know you are talking about a game of some kind. Whatever, it sounds wonderful and very challenging!!
Hope to hear more from all of you about this.
Janice

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 16:28:56 »
I guess I'll have to go to computer school so I can figure this all out?  I know you are talking about a game of some kind. Whatever, it sounds wonderful and very challenging!!
Hope to hear more from all of you about this.
Janice

No need to sit in the corner and feel dumb, Janice.  It's sort of a game, more like an open-ended puzzle.  (The software is already made for Lego, we're talking about a Playmobil version.)  It's a way to "build" a 3-dimensional object on the computer screen, by dragging, rotating, and dropping Lego blocks (or other elements) together from a virtual bin.  You can then turn your creation any way you want for a closer look or to change things.  It's used, among Lego-types, to build things that they don't own the parts for (or that don't exist in those colours, for instance) and then to publish them, so other people can see exactly how to build them and what pieces they'd need. These 3-D objects can be used to make high-quality computer-generated images or even animation, like the movies from Pixar.

What we're getting technical about, is that there is a version of the Lego program where people can create their own 3-D parts by listing the measurements of all the corners and surfaces, the way architects design buildings.  So, we're thinking, why not design Playmobil parts - connectable building parts, generally - so we can make these 3-D objects too?  Even if Playmobil doesn't create this kind of program for us to use, we can use the Lego one and use Playmobil parts instead of Lego ones.  (Or both... or.... anything we can think of!)

If you'd like to try out the Lego version (no need for an architecture degree!) the official version can be downloaded at http://ldd.lego.com .  The Gallery is at http://factory.lego.com/gallery/ , to see some amazing finished products.  The more complicated user-run version is at http://ldraw.org - takes a bit more know-how to get set up, but has hundreds more parts, because users made them, didn't wait for Lego to supply them!

Hope this makes it a bit more clear.  It's pretty exciting, if you get excited about this kind of thing.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 19:54:36 »
I think Playmobil are saying, "Wait and see, you may be pleasantly surprised."
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 02:41:00 »
I have used the program for Lego and it is really fun, and takes up a lot less space on the floor than dumping out buckets and buckets of legos to find the one right piece. It would be really cool if they made one for playmobil. I could imagine building virtual system x skyscrapers.  :love: Maybe that's not a good idea. If I knew what was possible to make with enough of the right pieces, I think I would be tempted to spend even more money.  ::)

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 16:33:44 »
Hi,

what do you think about hte pictures ?

Found a thread at playclicks about 3D !

ENJOY here:

http://www.playclicks.com/playforos/index.php?topic=7132.0

world greets

Andi

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 19:24:42 »
Wow, they're way ahead of us.  My Spanish is much worse than my German, but I did see the link to LDraw in there.  Is the poster using the LDraw system, and if so are his parts available for others to download and use?
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 17:10:06 »
Hey I just got back from the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Wow, I was totally wrong about the appeal of Player Generated Content.

A playmobil game that allows users to custom-make their own System X, Steck, and Klickies could make a tidy sum of money if the designer chooses to provide a means for players to re-sell their libraries (and for the host to take a cut of the proceeds) a la something like IMVU.

I personally am a huge advocate of "easy interface, few breaking parts" because my map cad is so hard to work with (it doesn't do what it is supposed to let me do, much less be an easy way to create new stuff).

But, I'm clearly in the minority and with a huge body of people eager to invest time in creating their own content, a game that supports this is definitely a huge plus.

Now, whether that fits Geobra's values (Player generated content brings another host of issues, from filtering "adult-oriented" material to protecting creator's intellectual property to managing the micro-economy (do you let game units be converted to real cash?  IMVU doesn't support this.)

We should propose a game model to PM and see if they want to franchise!

(Ha, I'm being extremely optimistic).

-Tim

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:30 »
Hi Playmofriends,

this theme makes me crazy i search around to make easy 3D Playmo Models,

I download the Ldraw but its not realy easy to use, many progs.

But i find here in germany a 3D Scanner realy cheap the bad one OUT OF STOCK !!  :'(
You can save all 3D Files Standart !

ENJOY !

world greets

Andi