Author Topic: 5254 Cargo thing "grabber"  (Read 6018 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
5254 Cargo thing "grabber"
« on: April 18, 2018, 18:57:52 »
I don't know if this is the right board to ask...

I am thinking I need a way to move the large containers about.... The sort from the playmotrucks - for example: 4447 Birthday Truck (playmodb link)

Would the grabber from 5254 Loading Terminal (playmodb link) be able to .. well... GRAB such a container?

And - harder... would the "grabber" (attached) work with the old 3262 Electronic Crane (playmodb link)? That we do have (review at playkingdoms)..

I don't really want to buy the old MAN thing or this new one...  Not core, huge... But I'd like a way to move the stuff, without needing a god, a jedi master or a troll   :P

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: 5254 Cargo thing "grabber"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 20:26:55 »
I think yes. The grabber piece is used for that very thing on the cargo transfer crane, so no reason why it wouldn't work in other settings. Using a big construction crane seems like overkill, but it would certainly get the job done. It would also have more flexibility in where you can put the containers than the electronic or manual cargo cranes that are limited to a narrower range.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 20:50:57 »
That topic title is pure Tahra!  ;D

No offence intended, my friend!
And I know nothing about the grabber, so ignore my contribution, pure irrelevance.
And irreverence.

:-[
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 21:13:48 »
Tahra,

To answer your question:

The container pick up does not work on the containers found in sets such as 4447, 4323, 4113 or 7499. It does however work for the ones found in sets 5256, 5255 and 6344.
The reason for this is that the containers used in the first four sets are wider and the container pick up cannot open wide enough to grab both sides.

The container pick up will work the crane in set 3262 as long as you use the main hook that comes down and not the 4 string hook attachment.

I hope this helps.

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:56:35 »
Using a big construction crane seems like overkill, but it would certainly get the job done. It would also have more flexibility in where you can put the containers than the electronic or manual cargo cranes that are limited to a narrower range.

The only reason is that I'd prefer not to get yet ANOTHER large.. THING... and I have that crane (today, would never buy it), so...  I agree it's a bit... odd.  :P

That topic title is pure Tahra!  ;D

No offence intended, my friend!
And I know nothing about the grabber, so ignore my contribution, pure irrelevance.
And irreverence.

:P  Well, as you can imagine.. I know nothing about cranes/cargo.

The container pick up does not work on the containers found in sets such as 4447, 4323, 4113 or 7499. It does however work for the ones found in sets 5256, 5255 and 6344.
The reason for this is that the containers used in the first four sets are wider and the container pick up cannot open wide enough to grab both sides.

Ah - thank you! That does answer the question.   :(

Those are the containers I need it to grab. I mean, I am (almost) sure we have one or two small ones, but not relevant. It was for those large ones.

So.. any suggestions on what can be used to move those about? With the crane?

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 16:47:33 »

So.. any suggestions on what can be used to move those about? With the crane?

Tahra,

That depends if you wish to be Playmobil purest or if you wish to make a custom piece. You can take apart the container pick up and make the two pieces that hold onto the top of the container longer by using a solvent to fuse plastic extenders on. Once you seal it back up no one will know that it has been modified expect yourself and those that know that the container pick up in its original form is unable to pick up those bigger containers.

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 18:03:06 »
That depends if you wish to be Playmobil purest or if you wish to make a custom piece. You can take apart the container pick up and make the two pieces that hold onto the top of the container longer by using a solvent to fuse plastic extenders on. Once you seal it back up no one will know that it has been modified expect yourself and those that know that the container pick up in its original form is unable to pick up those bigger containers.

Well, I am no purist. But I am not very willing to go to that much trouble for a non-core theme..

According to this image, seems that the way is to use the rope?

4080 Super Construction Set (playmodb url)

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 20:31:01 »
Well, I am no purist. But I am not very willing to go to that much trouble for a non-core theme..

I will try and make you one, I have extras of these pick ups.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:38 »
I will try and make you one, I have extras of these pick ups.

:o

:love:

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 14:09:45 »
:o

:love:

Key word is TRY, I will let you know how it goes. P.s Pictures are coming this weekend for the other stuff.