Author Topic: who named this klicky sherlock holmes ?  (Read 6653 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: who named this klicky sherlock holmes ?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 21:46:34 »
Collectors probably.

The specials didn't make an appearance in the UK catalogues until 1995 and this set was just simply called "Detective" by 1996 it was no longer available.

Thanks for the information, Gary.  Bart on Collectobil must have adopted the name Sherlock Holmes of his own accord, then.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 21:52:16 »

what room is this? his house ? you're in the picture?

Yeap!

This is the study, or small living room if you like, of the supposedly small appartment, or better put suit, that Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were occupying in 221B Baker Steet in London! As I can recall they had to renumber all the buildings in the street to make this appear as the place where the famous detective lived.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 22:18:05 »
Yeap!

This is the study, or small living room if you like, of the supposedly small appartment, or better put suit, that Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were occupying in 221B Baker Steet in London! As I can recall they had to renumber all the buildings in the street to make this appear as the place where the famous detective lived.

No, they just changed the number on the museum building. It sits between 237 and 241, so should really be 239 Baker Street by the tradition of London street numbering.

The Museum is a fiction, just as the character of Sherlock Holmes is. He never lived, and there was never any 221b in Baker Street. The klicky is a fatbelly, and Sherlock Holmes was not fat in the stories, so attaching this moniker to the figure is suitably fictitious, which is what I though Alex might be getting at.

From the original stories, I think the museum's rooms are too far small, nicely appointed though they are, but the museum's creators were limited by which building was available and affordable. Until 2002 a branch of the Abbey National Building Society stood on the site of 221 Baker Street, but in 2002 they left and the site started redevelopment into an apartment block.

There is a far more likely house on which Conan Doyle based his stories further down on the other side of Baker Street, which you can see the facade anytime, and is noted in a self-guided Sherlock Holmes Walk that I did in the Summer of 2009 when I knew my time in London was limited.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:35 »
Thanks for the info Martin!! Oh how I'd love to walk in the streets of London again....

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:29 »
I didn't realize the Sherlock Holmes Special  :sherlock: was a fat klicky!  (I have one, but it's still in the box.)  That makes little sense. ???
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:18 »
I really like this klicky and have one permanently in my car !!!  It is one of the

Best Klickies in the World !!!!!!!!!!

:yippee: :welcome: :omg: :doh: :party: :builder: :sherlock: :chef: <:D :cheerlead: :banana: :hehe: :heart: :loco: :wow: :eh?: :evilplan: :hmm: ;D :D :( ??? O0 :party: :wow: :hissyfit: :-* :zz: :0 :pop: <:D :yippee: :lmao: :hatoff: :shhhh: :toot: :wall: :cowboy: :fireman: :cheerlead: :confetti: <:> :-* :hehe: :-X :zz: :eh?: :wow: :omg: :chef: :gent: :cham: :sherlock: :rainbow: :builder: :eh?: :clap: :)9 :glasses: :toot: :yippee: :welcome: :omg: :doh: :party: :builder: :sherlock: :chef:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:14:00 by Giorginetto »
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 16:37:42 »
No, they just changed the number on the museum building. It sits between 237 and 241, so should really be 239 Baker Street by the tradition of London street numbering.

The Museum is a fiction, just as the character of Sherlock Holmes is. He never lived, and there was never any 221b in Baker Street. The klicky is a fatbelly, and Sherlock Holmes was not fat in the stories, so attaching this moniker to the figure is suitably fictitious, which is what I though Alex might be getting at.

From the original stories, I think the museum's rooms are too far small, nicely appointed though they are, but the museum's creators were limited by which building was available and affordable. Until 2002 a branch of the Abbey National Building Society stood on the site of 221 Baker Street, but in 2002 they left and the site started redevelopment into an apartment block.

There is a far more likely house on which Conan Doyle based his stories further down on the other side of Baker Street, which you can see the facade anytime, and is noted in a self-guided Sherlock Holmes Walk that I did in the Summer of 2009 when I knew my time in London was limited.

thanks martin  ;)
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Colonel Klicky

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • 'There he stands like a plastic wall!'
    • KlickyWelt
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 17:11:59 »
I didn't realize the Sherlock Holmes Special  :sherlock: was a fat klicky!  (I have one, but it's still in the box.)  That makes little sense. ???

If you realize that this klicky never was designed or sold as "Sherlock Holmes" the felt lack of sense will vanish. When first shown in the (german) catalogue of 1994 it was just named "Detektiv" (engl. "detective"). Absolutely no connection with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous literary character was proclaimed.

If it had been re-christened by someone more affiliated with american than british history for example, today the special would might be known as "Pinkerton". Also it might perhaps just all be the deerstalkers fault. ;)
LuxPlaymoDays 2010 - Charleston-Diorama

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 19:09:40 »

If it is a fat klicky, then it can't be Sherlock Holmes as he was tall and slim.

Ooops!  missed Martin's post on this.  However, I'm not sure I can agree with him that Sherlock Holmes was fictional!  ;D  But seriously he really is the true detective.  He handles all sorts of cases, not just murders as is the case with most (if not all other) fictional detectives and it is said that all the information needed to solve the crime is in the story.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”