Author Topic: Your children vs your PM collection.  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: Your children vs your PM collection.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:35 »

i don't want to scare you but kids are happiness go for it   :)

I can't agree more!  When you realise how much happiness one can bring you, have as many as you are given.  They are all a blessing and the more you have the more happiness you will have.

Not to mention the more you have, the more reasons you have to get more Playmobil.  And when they have children just think of the joy you can help pass on to grandchildren and great-grandchildren!!!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:29:00 »
Mmm. I have mixed feelings about the issue: I GUESS kids bring happiness - no one would rant and rave about his children if it were not otherwise, but I don't know: I'll just have to do it and see for myself heh heh  :)

Most of my collection is in storage boxes stashed away in various bits of furniture. My ships are on display though - they're too bulky to put them away, and I hate disassembling stuff unless it's ridiculously large (roman arena etc). However I do have an action figure collection in a display case in the study. You know, try to imagine what it would've been like when you were a child, had your parents collected toys. I had some sets, but not many: I would have certainly gone bonkers had I known my father had a big collection of pirates hidden away in his wardrobe  8}

I guess it's hard to resist that sort of thing when you're six years old. But we'll just hope for the best. For the first few years I'll probably buy them the 123 stuff, and then they'll start getting spares until they learn how to take care of their own sets. The thing with PM, I hope, is that it'll get them interested in things like history. It's good for that sort of thing. Most of the time, anyway. 
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:42 »
...I have a medium sized family, so far.  5 children and one more on the way in December... 

:o

So it seems I have a nano-family with only one son. He grew up with lots of playmo around him and he learned that there is HIS playmo and MINE. And that there is a difference!
The cool thing is that he even can play with most parts and they are robust enough to withstand it. And after all there is DS.  8-)
When he was smaller, I just gave him the klickies without any accessoires, so there was not much to swallow... We skipped playmo1-2-3 with this and it was fine.

The good thing is that he is rather not interested in knights and pirates but more into city life.
So he has free access to all cars, construction equipment and onto all building boxes with SysX.
We started playing with new sets together, it is a lot of fun and pleases both of us.

Hey, for me its a family thing. And I love toys... ...so I love playing with them also. :)
And I love to see him playing with it. So much that he starts to turn to LEGO.  :o

MIB boxes should be just kept away, just as you have to do with your hifi stuff when you have kids. ;)

best,
socrates

P.S.: And never forget: Other adults think you are nuts but other kids think you are damn cool and endlessly rich, having all the sets their parents always claim: "No, we cannot effort these sets!"  ;D
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 13:09:21 »
A very interesting topic! I myself starting collecting after my own children were grown. Now that I have grandchildren, I enjoy monitoring them as they play with my collection that is set up, & teach them how to respect others belongings. I carefully watch them, because they are only 3 & 4, & are allowed to handle everything, even the small parts. They have learned that at any time I see them start to put a small part toward their mouth, play time is suspended until they agree never to do that action again. I have only been required to suspend play time once since they learned very quickly & love Playmobil :love:.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline grangel

• Playmo Master
  • Medieval military designer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 13:52:13 »
I have two sons one is almost two months and the other one is 3 year and a half.the first is not a problem yet and the second is crazy with playmo like me.He can play with everything but he can not dismantle my klickies unless i 'm with him.Usually some part of my collection are in my office but he respects my playmo and ask me if he wants something.
In addition of this i 'm taking care of his collection and i provide him parts if he want to customise some klickies.

I hope this to stay with my second son!!!

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 14:42:44 »
Basically all our playmo was stashed in our attic until I joined Playmofriends. Since then we have been working making our playmo den, but there is lots to sort and so we havent been really been ready to share that much yet. I really like some of the suggestions made and we'll see what is going to happen in the coming weeks :-)

Thanks a lot for starting this topic Bolingbroke.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 14:52:49 »
Mmm. I have mixed feelings about the issue: I GUESS kids bring happiness - no one would rant and rave about his children if it were not otherwise, but I don't know: I'll just have to do it and see for myself heh heh  :)

Most of my collection is in storage boxes stashed away in various bits of furniture. My ships are on display though - they're too bulky to put them away, and I hate disassembling stuff unless it's ridiculously large (roman arena etc). However I do have an action figure collection in a display case in the study. You know, try to imagine what it would've been like when you were a child, had your parents collected toys. I had some sets, but not many: I would have certainly gone bonkers had I known my father had a big collection of pirates hidden away in his wardrobe  8}

I guess it's hard to resist that sort of thing when you're six years old. But we'll just hope for the best. For the first few years I'll probably buy them the 123 stuff, and then they'll start getting spares until they learn how to take care of their own sets. The thing with PM, I hope, is that it'll get them interested in things like history. It's good for that sort of thing. Most of the time, anyway. 

what will happen in a children's party that you may have to do in their birthday have you thought of that? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 15:48:01 »
A lot of my Playmobil started off as the boys' Playmobil so I can't really complain about them using it. :lol:
I am too old to have had Playmobil as a child so it was only when I started buying it for the boys that I became interested in it.  Some stuff such as the medieval is just mine but they aren't interested in that.
They are now 13 and 15 and still 'play' with Playmobil; Junior with jungle and space stuff mainly, but he just uses it for setting up dioramas.  Although I do complain if when he dismantles them he doesn't put things away in the right boxes. 
My eldest boy has some special needs and his interests range from Postman Pat to Harry Potter, Pop Stars and celebrities.  He will use klickies as different characters from whatever TV programme or film he is into at the time. 
When he was younger I used to be obsessive about putting the right hair/hats back on the klickies before they were put away, and worried about parts going missing but I don't bother so much now, so long as any accessories etc. are back in the relevant 'spares' drawers.   
My pirate ships have this summer been on loan to the John Paul Jones Birthplace Museum where my husband works and he says it is great to see youngsters' faces light up when they see they are there to play with, and nothing has gone missing or been broken while they have been there.
(see  http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2130.45  )
I've just lent all my Fairytale klickies to a friends' visiting grandchildren, but I'm not worried, I'm sure they will all come back, and in the end they are toys so are there to be played with.

Elaine  :)
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 18:34:27 »

Nothing anyone ever said about the "miracle of life" really sunk in for me until I had my first child.  It will be the same thing with you.  Then you will be able to see the wonder in their eyes and remember what it was like for you as a child and want to give them the best you can.

Then as more come along you realise that the love you have for the first one is not divided up at all, but multiplied exponentially by the more you have.  It is something that can not be explained properly but experienced.  Do not worry, it is only natural and nothing to worry about - that's how things are meant to be.

I have found that little kids like the regular Playmobil figures much more than the 123.  I have just taken away the small accessories so they do not get lost. 

If they have a tendency to put things in their mouths a lot then be careful.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 18:37:52 »
My eldest boy has some special needs and his interests range from Postman Pat to Harry Potter, Pop Stars and celebrities.  He will use klickies as different characters from whatever TV programme or film he is into at the time. 

I've just lent all my Fairytale klickies to a friends' visiting grandchildren, but I'm not worried, I'm sure they will all come back, and in the end they are toys so are there to be played with.

Elaine  :)

This is where you get to make him some custom Playmobil figures that match those characters!   :)

You could also introduce him to some good child friendly movies of various themes (pirates, etc).  Backyardigans have very good episodes that deal with Playmobil themes (although this may be way too young for him).  There are other good movies out there for kids.