Author Topic: Giorginettos Medieval Collection  (Read 158029 times)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
Re: Giorginettos Medieval Collection
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 21:36:50 »
Castles had to fit into the landscape they are defending, so they are rarely rectangular. Of the dozens of castles and walled cities I've visited, I can't think of one that was a pure rectangle.

I am sorry for generalising what castles look like, they really are unique.
But weren't those types of castles usually in the Northern parts of Europe like in Scotland?
Many of the castles in the Holy Land were more rectangular and less "towery".

A great job with the newest additions to your castle Giorinetto!
I really like the dragon castle too!
Really? Is that all the steck you have?  ;)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:36 »
Hi Giorginetto, your medieval city is really fantastic.  :wow: Junior and I also love the green dragon's castle - he now wants the dragons temple!   ::)

How are you going to move it all? - I'd leave it there - just get rid of the furniture! ;D

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 13:08:44 »

I am sorry for going a little off topic here... I just want to clarify something.
I find it hard to put words on paper, they seem to get lost somewhere in my brain just when I want to use them. ::) :doh:
When I say rectangular, I do not mean a rectangle.
Thought that is the only logical thing I could mean, I am far from a logical thinker. :P
When I say rectangle I really mean to say "Simple Geometric Shape"
Like a pentagon, or octogon. Not actually a rectangle.
Sorry for the confusion, I will try to speak more clearly next time.
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 13:41:11 »

I will try to speak more clearly next time.

Hey, WoT ...

If you speak too clearly, we may not be able to understand ...  ;D

Sometimes it seems like some of us here are speaking in riddles ...  8}

Especially me (and a few others) ...  :P

All the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 07:19:48 »
I am sorry for generalising what castles look like, they really are unique.
But weren't those types of castles usually in the Northern parts of Europe like in Scotland?

You could be right about Crusader and Islamic castles, my knowledge of castles is limited to the United Kingdom, The Republic of Ireland, and a few I've seen in Portugal. If the landscape doesn't have a hill then of course you can't build on one (excepting the Motte and Bailey as mentioned before).

I've visited an Islamic castle built in Portugal, and it was built on a hill. The few castles I've visited which were not on a hill had some other obvious defensive feature, like being surrounded by water on one or more sides.

I'd like to do a study of UK castles and see howe many were built on a hill, but I'd guess at least 80% of them. 

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 08:33:15 »
Hi Giorginetto, your medieval city is really fantastic.  :wow: Junior and I also love the green dragon's castle - he now wants the dragons temple!   ::)

How are you going to move it all? - I'd leave it there - just get rid of the furniture! ;D

Elaine

All the playmobil have to go to a storage room about 80km away. thats the reason i havent set up all the klickies , i am contemplating if i should set them up now , take some pics and after a few days pack the lot or simply now break the walls in big parts , and then move it al in boxes and bags  and then set it all up in the storage room ,  have done it before , needs to be extra carefull but it is possible. the flat htey are currently set will be emptied in the next few weeks so my next steps wil be to buy larget tables first and then move it all in the storage area . I am waiting for some more toasts and a blue house ( they are awesome) and contempl,ating i f i should buy more steck , i am thinking of creating a coupl emore castles similar in size to the green dragons. then again there are the new dragon sets.... awwwww... dunno what to do ...  ??? ??? :love: :love: ??? ??? :love: :love:... i also cant wait to set up all the pirates, i have never done it , i have 10 m pirate ships inc 3 cannon galleons and really want to se this lit armada one day ....
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 08:41:00 »
You could be right about Crusader and Islamic castles, my knowledge of castles is limited to the United Kingdom, The Republic of Ireland, and a few I've seen in Portugal.

My knowledge is very limited also , have seen a few in UK ( where i was till last year) and a few in Greece. The design i really want to do is to build a Byzantine like castle , that is with lots of square towers , creating a lot of angles at the walls for bowmen  etc etc  with tall towers at the corners and then gates at all corners, similar in principle to the castle/ city i have put together , what would be the addition though is a second sourrouding wall ie walls within walls and the central kings castle ( if possible ) slightly elevated . The idea of having two sets of walls with soldiers in between , carts, catapults is very appealing but  i have estimated i need twice as much at least of steck of what i have now .... and thats a lot of steck people... would look awesome though to have two full walls around a city and then an acropolis at the middle ...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 08:46:37 »
Really? Is that all the steck you have?  ;)

Yeap. A few tower parts , a few gates , ruin parts and lots of 3- point connectors and fortifications left but wall about 10-15 .... i wish i had some more .. there is never enough steck .... ;)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 12:49:32 »

Hello, Giorginetto ...

All the playmobil have to go to a storage room about 80km away. that's the reason i haven't set up all the klickies , I am contemplating if I should set them up now , take some pics and after a few days pack the lot or simply now break the walls in big parts , and then move it all in boxes and bags  and then set it all up in the storage room <snip>.... awwwww... dunno what to do ...  ??? ??? :love: :love: ??? ??? :love: :love:.

Good question, Giorginetto! ...  8}

And, as Ras said in another topic ...

"Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one"

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

So, here's my opinion and advice ...  :klickygrin:

Break it ALL up. Put it in storage. Leave it there until you're ready to move everything to your new room. In the meantime, enjoy all the pictures that you've taken.

Then, when it's time to set everything up in your new room, you'll be looking at everything with "fresh" eyes. You will do new things with your Steck that you hadn't even thought about before. (You will probably have collected more Steck parts in the interim which will also give you new ideas.)

My Playmobil has been moved all over North America. And, each time we moved I've had to pack it all up. When the boxes were opened at the new location, it was like Christmas! And, each time my Playmo-room has gotten better and better.

Martin and Ras are both going through this now (and Gordon just went through a move), so I'm sure that they will also have their opinions and their advice to share with you.

Have fun!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 13:10:04 »
That is a great castle/city you have there. :wow:
It will be nice to get to your  permanent location
where you can set it up for a longer period of time. (Looks like you will need
about 20 acres!) ;D

Well done Giorginetto!