Author Topic: Last Pics of Roman Camp Before tear down  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Last Pics of Roman Camp Before tear down
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:21:39 »
I'm tearing down my Roman Camp to get back into castle / chateau modelling.

I've posted it before, but not the finished product.

It's claim to fame was the size of the centurion's billets compared to the men's.

I'm going back to medieval because steck supports that so well.  System X, if the PM Wooden Sword movie is to be believed, has the potential for a Roman town, but I lack enough System X to put it to the test.  Most of my steck I got on bargain basement closeout in 2006 when PM USA was ditching its stock.  There are non-PM building materials that could make a good Roman town, but my patience for designing, cutting, and assembling cardpaper isn't what I thought it would be.  Either I need to invest in a higher quality x-acto knife, or construction quality paper is just blazing hard to cut...   

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Last Pics of Roman Camp Before tear down
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:05:35 »
Is our Centurion getting a back rub? The perks of rank...

I like your wooden bunks, a good solution to the lack of suitable bunks from Playmobil.

Always a shame to break down a diorama, but if it's to make room for a new one that's a good reason.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 14:41:46 »
Excellent attention to detail! Incorporating Steck with the Roman theme is very convincing.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 15:44:39 »
I like your set up Tim . I must say thought that there seems to be a lot of grass inside of those buildings  :lol: The only reason i saw and mentioned it is i do the same thing . I recently got annoyed at it and bought a type of vinyl sheet that has a print on it . I have not used it yet do to it being so expensive .

I am looking forward to seeing your next creation
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline customan

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 17:23:39 »
Amazing ! :wow: Good continuation ! :D

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 17:41:53 »
Very nice layout Tim, I especially like the bunks. Thanks for the photos, it sounds like you need a better/different blade if you are having so much difficulty cutting, have you tried a rotary cutter?

Gepeneezer.

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 19:50:15 »
 :wow: Nice work Timotheos. I like your bunks, are they balsa? Well even Hadrian's wall came down, so must Timothy's wall.
O brother where for art thou?

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 20:24:22 »
:wow: Nice work Timotheos. I like your bunks, are they balsa? Well even Hadrian's wall came down, so must Timothy's wall.

The bunk posts are balsa--I found packs of flat-tipped light-weight "popsicle" sticks at the craft shop that I could trim to size with an x-acto (and a bit of muscle).

The bed boards came in a packets of pre-cut slabs that by coincidence were the same length as a figure.

To Gepetto:
I need to invest in a rotary cutter your described or at least a higher grade x-acto knife.  My blade blunts fast and snags the top layer of my heavy card paper, often peeling off bits of the top layer.

To Rasputin:
Yeah.  How green does my garden grow?  Roman bunkhouse floors were dirt, or stone, or wood...

To Martin:
Heh, yeah, the centurion is getting a back rub.  His "servant" sleeps in the small side room pictured.

Romans are really difficult to do right.  Another example, mis-represented in my photos--Romans drank from bowls, not cups.  The wine goblet that comes with the "Roman senator" is probably not correct.

On the other hand, Romans, judging by evidence from Pompeii and Herculaneum, owned upholstered sofas, much like the 1970s American style with the lightly padded black leather pockmarked with fancy nail-heads. 

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 07:06:48 »
Tim, thanks for the finished product!  I'm impressed with the accuracy and detail.  So will you be focusing on the medieval theme now instead of the Romans?

I knew the Romans used bowls for drinking but I didn't know they didn't use cups or goblets.  Interesting.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:39:23 »
An excellent diorama, Tim, with lots of great detail and ideas.  The bunks I especially liked.  It's a shame you have to break it up.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”