Author Topic: Bridles and Reins?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline rexalan

• Playmo Pal
Bridles and Reins?
« on: July 30, 2023, 22:29:28 »
I am in need of quite a few bridles and reins (as well as saddles), and have been trolling ebay, but have not made any purchases yet.
I am seeing that there are now three generations of horses.  I know that second generation and first generation horses and bridles do not mix, but I do not know if third and second generation horses and bridles mix.

Can someone provide information about what generation of horses and bridles do and do not mix?
Thank you in advance.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Bridles and Reins?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 06:44:48 »
This would be a job for grahamb!

I can't really figure out the bridles+reins of the horses (except the first generation ons..)

1st+2nd generation saddles are the same.. right?

After that...............

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 08:17:07 »
This would be a job for grahamb!

I cannot get PlaymoDB to respond at the moment (is it just me, again?), so I can't help just yet....
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 08:57:46 »
Also, I'm away on holiday at the moment, so I can't try fitting different saddles and bridles on the 2nd and 3rd generation of PM horses.

However, looking at a few inventories on PlaymDB (it's working again), it seems that from 2011 on, the third generation of horses all come with "2011 style" saddles, reins and bridles, suggesting that these parts were restyled for the later horses. I couldn't find any sets with 3rd gen. horses and 2nd gen. (which PlaymoDB calls 'new style') saddles, etc. But I didn't check all the sets with horses in!

If you are in a hurry, rexalan, I would order the 2011-style parts for the newer horses. Otherwise, if no-one else can answer your question, if you can wait a couple of weeks until I get back to handle the plastic toys, I will try to give a more authoritative answer then.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline rexalan

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 02:46:16 »
For the record.  Not in any sort of a hurry.
I am still building the infantry parts of my little armies.
But I want to start placing cavalry stuff on my Watch List.

So, again, no hurry.  If I get impatient, I will just buy a couple of each and experiment on my own.
I feel sure I would be in good company on this forum. :) 

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 21:45:27 »
Hi, this thread maybe belongs in the Research section at this point. Since nobody has jumped in with details, and since as the animal guy I have all the horse tack too, here is a quick overview of horse saddles, reins, and bridles. Note this does not include the same for ponies, colts, donkeys, camels or bears (!).

First up the horse types wearing tack. Note that the type 3 horse shown is what we call the Haflinger body type. There are also type 3 horses with variations making them Arabian, Fjord, Sport Horse, Trakehner, and Draft. All but the Draft style take the same saddles, bridles and reins.

horses types by Tim, on Flickr

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 21:46:42 »
As mentioned by Tahra, the saddles for type 1 and 2 horses are the same and are fully interchangeable. Here are types 1 and 2 with the saddles swapped.

horses 1 and 2 saddles swap by Tim, on Flickr

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 21:49:26 »
The saddles for type 3 are longer at the belly strap part. Here is the same type of saddle compared between the styles

saddles 1 compared to  3 by Tim, on Flickr

Aside from the slight change in curvature note the increased length on those bottom straps.

Here is that same saddle on a type 1 horse

horse 1 saddle 3 by Tim, on Flickr

You can see it sitting way up above the body

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 21:51:14 »
The type 2 horses have a little deeper belly. To fit the type 1 saddles that have a clip point low on the body.
Here is type 2 wearing the type 3 saddle clipped into the clip point

horse 2 saddle 3 at clip point by Tim, on Flickr

and here it is with the clips spread and slid down. Works ok and could do in a pinch. Doesn't really fit properly though.

horse 2 saddle 3 past clip point by Tim, on Flickr

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 21:53:59 »
Here is horse style 3 trying to wear type 1/2 saddles. Note that it can be made to work, but there is an obvious gap at the bottom and it's stretched out a bit to fit.

horse 3 saddle 2 by Tim, on Flickr

horse 3 saddle 2 large Western by Tim, on Flickr

And here is a draft horse trying to wear a regular type 3 saddle. So no possibility of using draft horses as heavy war horses with the currently available saddles.

draft horse 3 saddle 3 by Tim, on Flickr