Author Topic: A further medieval battle  (Read 3480 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
A further medieval battle
« on: December 29, 2010, 15:25:09 »
Dear All,

Perhaps not very much in the 'holiday spirit,' but I have posted another medieval battle I played out with my medieval troops over on the Garden Wargaming forum, here:

http://gardenwargaming.playclicks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1493.0

If you feel interested, please go have a look. Not exactly 'peace and goodwill to all people,' but it's only in the past couple of weeks that I found the time to sort through the pictures and sort out the narrative.

Anyway, belated/preemptive happy holidays to all!  :cham:

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: A further medieval battle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 16:09:48 »
Thank you for the link to your battle! These types of projects consume alot of time to set up! Very impressive layout!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 20:24:51 »
Great work yet again Andrew!!!  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
Great manoeuvres!!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 21:11:49 »
Wow, Andrew, that really is impressive, both on numbers involved, the detailed commentary and the excellent photographs.  The detail of the poses of the figures (angle of weapons, eye contact with opponents) really is extraordinary, as is the detail in the scenes in general, such as the riderless horses on the field of battle.

Thank you for sharing.   

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 21:13:35 »
Thank you for the link to your battle! These types of projects consume alot of time to set up! Very impressive layout!

Hi Bill,

Many thanks -- glad you liked it. The whole thing did take a couple of days to play through, but that's because I was playing both sides myself and taking all the photos!

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 00:24:10 »
Great stuff AndyL! So many details. I really like to see how you customized all the klickies and have a great backstory for everything :-)

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:26 »
wow, that looks like a lot of work to set up and change for each scene.  i don't really understand military maneuvers, so i cannot appreciate the intricacies of your battle, but i do understand the gauze bandage side of war.  thank you for sharing your link.
kaeth

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:35:04 »
Great work yet again Andrew!!!  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
Great manoeuvres!!

Hi Wolf Knight  :wave:,

Thanks -- glad to know you liked it! I tried to have some real maneuvers, with different groups doing more than simply crashing into each other. I still felt cramped for space, but I think a substantial lottery win would be required to afford the kind of space I'd like to have!

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:27 »
Wow, Andrew, that really is impressive, both on numbers involved, the detailed commentary and the excellent photographs.  The detail of the poses of the figures (angle of weapons, eye contact with opponents) really is extraordinary, as is the detail in the scenes in general, such as the riderless horses on the field of battle.

Thank you for sharing.   

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your kind comments -- much appreciated.

The photos did turn out better this time than on previous 'engagements' I posted over at G-W. I'm not quite sure why. I thought I processed and re-sized the images the same way, but somehow this set of 'web optimised' images worked much better (far less pixelated).

The way I play out these battles requires some careful posing of the figures: each one has to be able to touch his opponent with a weapon in order to be able to 'attack.' That does lead to the kind of detail you mention, but it also leads to these battles taking %*&!-ing long to conduct!

I leave the riderless horses (and casualties) on the field to lend an air of veracity -- stricken opponents did not simply vanish into the ether like they do in video games.

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:06:30 »
Great stuff AndyL! So many details. I really like to see how you customized all the klickies and have a great backstory for everything :-)

Hi Gis,

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Yeah, I think nearly all the klickies I've got now have been customised in some way. Even sticking to just original, unmodified parts, there's lots of different combinations of armour, colour and badge to work with.

Glad you like the backstory as well. Like I said, I shamelessly plundered bits of High and Late Medieval English history to concoct it, but I think it works. And somehow, I feel I need a believable story to explain why this encounter I've created happened.

Cheers,

AndrewL