Author Topic: KIRKBEAN EXHIBITION 2013  (Read 3049 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: KIRKBEAN EXHIBITION 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:13:55 »
Elaine, to save you setting things up and then having to move tables about, would it be possible for the layout to be a peninsula eight feet wide and jutting out 12 feet from a wall, please?  Let me know if this is a problem.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 15:21:23 »
Here's a plan of the railway layout I'm working on for this year's exhibition.  It is 12 feet by 8 feet and is at two levels, as last year, although instead of being in the middle the raised section this year starts at one end.  The height difference between the lower and higher boards is only about 1 inch, but space in the car prevents anything more dramatic.  On the plan, the raised section is squares 1 to 8, left to right and up and down, bordered in black.  This will be a mixture of grass and tarmac.  (Elaine, if you paint this before we arrive, green is going to be the majority colour, and I'll add the grey for the tarmac.  Alternatively, I'll do the lot if drying time and setting up time are enough.)

The squares marked 9 to 12 are the lower baseboard which will represent water, so blue's the colour.  It's meant to be a river estuary, so the banks of the estuary will be represented by sand.  The areas bordered in red are raised sections I will bring, as is the viaduct, which I'm working on currently.

There will be a station called Sea's End (on the way to Norfolk we pass a sign to a village called Moulton Sea's End, which is where I got the name.  At one time it possibly was near the sea or an inlet of the sea, but it certainly isn't now.  There will be various buildings and other PM items too.  I'm a bit limited on how much I can bring as we are staying on for a few days after the exhibition and so more luggage means less PM!

Currently I'm planning for the layout to be track powered and, if the layout is suucessful, then it will be the basis for a permanent layout. 

The top line looks to have a very sharp bend in it, but this is a quirk of the computer software.  The line moves smoothly away from the main line of the oval in practice and gives room for a platform and a good long runaround.  I actually pinched the idea from a layout at one of the Malta railway stations.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 20:00:27 »
Ooops! Elaine has pointed out I forgot to attach the plan!  Here it is:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 17:44:21 »
I set up all the layout apart from a siding in the garage this afternoon at the operating height and complete with viaduct and bridge.  Test runs with an R/C loco pulling an engineer's coach showed all ran well, despite some of the track just being laid on cross pieces with no baseboard.  Further test runs with a tipper truck as well as the coach proved equally successful.  However, I am planning to use track power at Kirkbean so I shall do tests over the weekend with this.   I expect some problems as some of the track is old and connectors may be dirty so it will really be a test of what track to tack and what to replace from my spares box.

The viaduct and bridge supports need painting or covering in stone paper and there is still a small baseboard section to build for the estuary area, plus some painting of boards.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 19:40:36 »
I'll try and leave access to a plug socket without having to use an extension lead Gordon.

Spent last night trying to sort out an assortment of tables to carry the boards - gave up at 11.15pm - the hall looked to be in complete chaos!
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 01:11:55 »
Been so busy I haven't had time to post  :-[
Despite starting to set up earlier than usual I ended up being at the hall all Friday night, eventually finishing at 7.45 on Saturday morning!
Day 1 and 2 have gone well - just one day to go. 
Haven't had time to take photos yet so must do that tomorrow.  But it all looks great!
Managed to finish the pipe band - very pleased with that.  Gordon's display is really good and the children love Walter's play area.
It's been great to meet up again, we all went out for a meal last night then a Chinese Buffet tonight  ;D
Will post photos in a day or two.

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:11 »
I'm glad it's going well! Looking forward to the photos! :)