Author Topic: 5136 Pirates with arsenal  (Read 8473 times)

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
Re: 5136 Pirates with arsenal
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 21:01:47 »
MOST pirates were barefoot.
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 21:02:52 »
MOST pirates were barefoot.

Yes, and most peasants probably too. But I don't like the look  ;)

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 21:15:27 »
The smell would definitively be worse then the looks ;).
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 21:41:30 »
Did they really have chinamen in the carribean? This is the second chinese klicky - i think - in the pirates theme.

Yes, there were peoples of Chinese heritage in the Caribbean beginning in the mid 19th century when chinese laborers emmigrated to the Caribbean to work on sugar plantations.

From a piratical standpoint, Chinese pirates existed since the 13th century, sailing junks well on into the 19th century and beyond.  (Remember, China's mastery of the sea predates that of traditional western/british naval exploits which came to a head in the 17th century).

I suspect Playmobil's inclusion of chinese pirates in their pirate theme is an unspoken piggyback allusion to the current Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean lore.  In the movie series, chinese pirates (from Singapore) are seen interacting with what appears to be caribbean pirates and british naval/infantrymen of the 18th century.  However, the british presence in Singapore would not have happened until later in the 19th century, around the same time chinese laborers began emmigrating to the Caribbean.

The golden age of piracy stems from about mid 17th century to early 18th century.  Chinese pirates did exist at this time as well--but only in Asia.  And 18th century britishmen would not have been seen engaging with chinese pirates from Singapore until the 19th century, by which time the Golden Age of (western) Piracy would have been over.

So including chinese pirates alongside caribbean pirates would be inaccurate, historically.  But who's to say a stray chinese pirate/explorere/adventurer or two didnt somehow find their way accross the pacific (and around the horn) and end up drinking coconut juice on the lazy sandy shores of the Caribbean?  It could happen!  :D

I'm not fond of bare feet in klickys...
Deckhands on any ship (pirate or other) would have to be barefoot for better footing on wet decks and for mitigating the rigging and footropes aloft (up in the masts and sails).  Plus they were probably too poor to afford shoes, which weren't practical aboard a pirateship anyway.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 23:48:08 »
:) thanks for the review wolf knight.
 :) and thank you for the historical perspective blackpearl2006.
(i'm glad you decided to stay with us).
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 00:02:51 »
thanks for the interesting bit blackpearl2006!

the guy on the far right is a big investment...new shoe/leg mould(?) with printed band, + a red tricorn with an imaginative anchor...
a waste IMHO...geobra could have made new japanese or chinese feet  ;D

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 00:46:40 »
I actually like the bare feet on Klickies...
If I had more peasant folk I would own a lot more bare feeted klickies... ;)
If you all have grey trousers with bare feet,
Preferably with a smooth cuff line,
I would be willing to trade several regular grey pants with shoes. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 02:20:20 »
i'm glad you decided to stay with us).

hehe, when did i consider leaving? maybe you're referring to my several-month unintentional hiatus resulting from the fact that I lost a working computer to surf the net with) :p

thanks for the interesting bit blackpearl2006!

the guy on the far right is a big investment...new shoe/leg mould(?) with printed band, + a red tricorn with an imaginative anchor...
a waste IMHO...geobra could have made new japanese or chinese feet  ;D

I was wondering the same thing:  did they make a new leg mould with a new boot style?  or are those clip-on boot cuffs, similar to the older cowboy clip-on spurs?
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 02:40:35 »
....I was wondering the same thing:  did they make a new leg mould with a new boot style?  or are those clip-on boot cuffs, similar to the older cowboy clip-on spurs?

increasing cost and simplifying assembling...i hope geobra wont cast gloved hands someday  :lol:

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 06:23:07 »
the last guy is nice ,i don't like the others much only the green vest from the fat guy and the torso with the snake pendant of the chinese guy  :blackhair:

The smell would definitively be worse then the looks ;).

The spirits rule !!!!