Author Topic: Dishwasher Advice  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
Dishwasher Advice
« on: March 03, 2011, 16:08:31 »
Being a relatively new dishwasher owner, I am very wary of using it at all  :lol: :lol:

However, I have received some grubby Playmobil recently (landscapey bits) and being lazy, thought I'd use the dishwasher as advised by some on here.

Two questions .....

1. What temperature.  I can choose from cold, 30 degrees C, 60 degrees C and 70 degrees C (that's double it and add 30 in fahrenheit)

2. Is the mushroom top from the Rabbits Schoolroom likely to lose its spots (set 4455).

PS I don't like those rabbits, they are mutants, but Isaac thinks they are lovely so I've just bought loads for our Easter display.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: Dishwasher Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 16:18:17 »
I've never used the dishwasher for playmobil, I think I'd be a little scared to! But it sure would make things easier, I guess. I would do it on cold, in order not to risk melting the plastic, if it were me.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 16:23:29 »
There are several topics describing other members using a dishwasher to clean Playmobil. Do a search with dishwasher & it will show the discussions.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Alison01326

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 16:26:55 »
I did, Bill, and I couldn't find any reference to temperature!  I'll try again, though ....

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 16:28:13 »
I did, Bill, and I couldn't find any reference to temperature!  I'll try again, though ....

Little Jo had a segment somewhere how he used a dishwasher, but I can't remember where it is! :(
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 17:23:57 »
I usually fill up the bathtub with soapy water (dishsoap) and take a bristled scrub brush to the bigger playmobil items.  I'd be too scared the dishwasher would melt the plastic and/or not get enough coverage (it sprays from the bottom only, leaving the top unsprayed)
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 18:25:21 »
Yeap, like Atto says, the bathtub works for me and my bigger items.. then again, my sink is also big so that works also.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 18:35:22 »
IMHO, using the dishwsher to clean Playmobil may be more trouble than it's worth.  Besides concerns about temperature, you have to worry about small things flying around and, as BlackPearl pointed out, the spray may not reach all areas that need cleaning.  Also, the hot air drying may distort some items.  If you ask me, the truly "lazy" way to clean the stuff is just to let it soak for a while. 

Some cleaning tips that have worked well for me:

- Don't soak anything with a sticker or printing - these items can still be washed but just swish and rinse without soaking them.

- Anything with a metallic finish (shiny gold or silver) should be cleaned very carefully, if at all - there are several tips throughout the forum for these rare and delicate items.

- Fill a large sink with hot water and use a TSP (trisodium phosphate) cleaner and some regular chlorine bleach (don't soak with bleach for more than a half hour or so.)  After soaking and swishing the stuff around, drain the sink (with a drain filter to catch small items) and fill with rinse water once or twice until soapiness is gone and then lay everything out on old towels dry.  Very easy for large quantitites of Playmobil.    :)

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 20:23:58 »
Hi I usually put the Victorian Mansion walls etc in my dishwasher to clean, it's on the eco wash which is 50C. I wouldn't put anything too small in but joints and things I normally stand in the cutlery rack.
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline Alison01326

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:38:39 »
Thanks Emma.  I haven't got around to putting anything in the bath yet, as I have the added problem of getting everything dried and hidden away again before the boy sees it (it's the new purchases which need cleaning).

It's also mostly walls of buildings, and the like so I will give it a whirl at 50 degrees.

I had to handwash the little horror's airport just before I asked my original question as I confiscated it from him  (after repeated requests from me to wait for me to carry it down the stairs, he took it upon himself to do so and dropped it). Unfortunately the "empty" bag I put it in for it's week's "holiday" had two sticky sweets in the bottom which ended up all over it.

Our dishwasher doesn't dry, it just washes but we have a jet at the top and two whizzy things which spin round and spray so everything gets got from all angles.

Will let you know how I get on although it won't be for a couple of weeks as we've had to clear two rooms of furniture and I can't get to the "hidden" Playmobil in the loft  :( :(