Author Topic: Playmobil Library Display  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Playmobil Library Display
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 02:43:50 »

You did, Tim ...  :P

But, look at it this way ... You can always get the "golden goodies" on eBay ... And, perhaps even more important, you'll be around a lot longer to enjoy them than those of us who were there for the "Golden Age" ...  ;)

All the best you young whipper-snapper,
Richard

I just discovered Playmobil 2 years ago.  I had seen PM back in the 'golden age', but I was into other forms of gaming.  I saw the sets, but I did not see the magic of Playmobil.  Now, in my mid-60's I may not be here for Playmobil to 'see the magic of the golden age' and return to it.

LEGO went through a simular evolution and sales went down.  Too many special sets, special parts that could only be used for that set.  We, the adult fans of LEGO (AFOL's) had many talks with LEGO and after development, they have gone back to the 'brick' and profits went up.  PM and LEGO make wonderful sets, but it is in their past that made them noteworthy.  I have great hopes that PM will one day go back to the 'brick' or in the case of PM, the golden age.

Enough said.

-- Donmobil

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 13:26:59 »
I just discovered Playmobil 2 years ago.  I had seen PM back in the 'golden age', but I was into other forms of gaming.  I saw the sets, but I did not see the magic of Playmobil.  Now, in my mid-60's I may not be here for Playmobil to 'see the magic of the golden age' and return to it.

LEGO went through a simular evolution and sales went down.  Too many special sets, special parts that could only be used for that set.  We, the adult fans of LEGO (AFOL's) had many talks with LEGO and after development, they have gone back to the 'brick' and profits went up.  PM and LEGO make wonderful sets, but it is in their past that made them noteworthy.  I have great hopes that PM will one day go back to the 'brick' or in the case of PM, the golden age.

On the other hand, it seems that the modern themes are prospering (city life, the hospital, airport, etc).

It's just the historical sets that are all stagnating.  The fairy tale (marchen) are original and fresh.  And, the new pixie theme (not released yet to US) looks "bold" at least for the new trees and swans, et cetera.  (Though I personally don't see how far they can carry a pixie theme).

So, Playmobil seems to be charging ahead with modern themes, but trading the historicals for fantasy (marchenschloss and pixies).  The fairy tale castle is OK, but it is hard for me to be impressed with its details, considering its details are based on.... fantasy.  You know, with the castle 3666, for instance, you can take the trestle table and compare it to an actual picture of a medieval trestle table and be impressed.  Or take the falcon with hood (3268, admittedly) and read up on medieval falconry.  But, with the marchenschloss, none of it is supposed to be real, anyway, so it all boils down to whether I personally find the blue bust that comes with the treasure room attractive.

It's OK.  That's the end of it, though.  No links to history to inspire me to read up.  And playmobil history surely inspired kids to read up on civil war and other stuff.  My introduction to King Arthur came from Playmobil (admittedly that's fantasy, but like the marchen at least it was tied to literary resources kids could read more about)(I like the marchen sets alot, just less so the marchenschloss).

-Tim

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 16:37:04 »

It's just the historical sets that are all stagnating. 

I don't think they're stagnating exactly, but evolving into a more fantasy-flavoured Knights theme. The current crop of Knights are very colorful and attractive, but not in many cases very realistically attired (e.g. bright red and bright blue boots). The older style coats-of-arms where they appeared were more historically acceptable than the purple barbarians, the red dragon troops, or the Blue Lion knights. Even the slightly older Black Lion Knights as in direct order set 7664 have more a believeable overall look.

There are some nice (historical) additions, such as the chainmail coif and chainmail neckpiece. I've been out of the loop until this year, so I'm not sure exactly when these pieces came in, but combined with a decent kettle helmet or open-faced helm they look very good. Unfortunately as they're both klickie-intrinsic parts, you have to buy a whole klickie to get them. The central figure in sets 7768 and 7770 have both coif and neckpiece of chain.

I think the parts are still there to build and garrison a realistic Medieval castle, but you have to seek them out more.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 18:32:51 »

Hello, Martin ...

... The current crop of Knights are very colorful and attractive, but not in many cases very realistically attired (e.g. bright red and bright blue boots). The older style coats-of-arms where they appeared were more historically acceptable than the purple barbarians, the red dragon troops, or the Blue Lion knights.

I totally agree with you!

I am sure that Playmobil realizes that ALL of us kids are attracted to bright colors! ... ;)

Games Workshop has gone exactly the other way. They attracted a huge audience with their bright reds, blues, yellows and greens. Now they have gone toward the more boringly realistic browns, olives, rusts, etc.

Personally, like most "young" Playmobil fans, I prefer the really bright primary and secondary colors! ... :)

All the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 20:34:50 »

To continue, Martin ...

IMO ... The bright colors of Playmobil's Dragon troops seem to be somewhat similar to the bright colors of Games Workshop's original Empire troops.
please see attachments

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 02:43:44 »
Richard, knowing Games Workshop, their figures are probably more expensive than PM, and not as much fun.  I own a lot of GW figs and stopped buying them when they wanted $8 to $15 per fig.

-- Donmobil

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 05:45:53 »

To continue, Martin ...

IMO ... The bright colors of Playmobil's Dragon troops seem to be somewhat similar to the bright colors of Games Workshop's original Empire troops.
please see attachments

And actually there's nothing inherently unrealistic about bright clothes or even the standard worn on the tunic fronts.  I read about nobles during the War of the Roses outfitting their henchmen in matching uniforms.

I made peace with the Red Dragon Soldiers.  It's the Barbarians from an Undisclosed Geographic Region and their Green Dragon Slayer kinsmen that my kingdom is yearning to expel. 

"Mummy, what's a barbarian, if he isn't a viking?"

"Honey, a barbarian is apparently a member of a band of fellows who lives in old ruins, dresses in purple, and behaves like a highwayman."

"But, Mummy, according to what I read in Dr Stephen Runciman's three volume analysis of the crusades, the Byzantines viewed our rampaging army from France as a barbarian horde."

"Honey, the barbarians are about healing.  Everything Mr. Brandstatter sees in himself and fears--that is barbarian, that is what he seeks to deck in harmless-looking purples and frame in an otherworld fantasy environment that is beyond the real, therefore unreal, therefore not him.  The barbarian theme is about the quest for redemption, diluted and diverted by pastel euphemisms, and finally discontinued, impoverished and mortalized."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:57:50 by Timotheos »