Author Topic: Playmobil Collecting Lessons for Newbies  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Playmobil Collecting Lessons for Newbies
« on: February 15, 2024, 16:57:58 »
Collecting PM over the past two months has taught me a few lessons... for those of you who are new to it like me, here are a few things I've learned:

1. "Sealed" and "NIB" (New in Box) descriptions don't mean much. I've received two boxes of PM described as such and found the tape was dirty/dusty and the upper box tabs had been popped up and then inserted into the slots on each side. It turns out the tape had been lifted, the box opened and contents inspected and the box reassembled. To the non-collector seller (which is most of them), this qualified as sealed and NIB.

2. PM tape loses adhesiveness over time. Finding the two boxes above in the state I did, I felt it necessary to check the contents myself. When I did, I found the PM tape easily lifted without removing any of the decorated cardboard. Thankfully, both boxes had complete contents -- but they could have contained anything if the seller was unscrupulous.

3. Check your vintage PM for bugs because bugs like cardboard! While I knew this at the back of my mind, I forgot to apply it to PM boxes... and thus found dead bugs (termites?) in one corner of a box (not coincidentally, one of the problem boxes above). I carefully removed them, but what troubled me is they just as well could have been LIVE bugs -- meaning if I had placed them in a storage box with other PM, they could have spread and caused more damage.

To date, I have not found any issues with the strictly glue-sealed boxes... but that doesn't mean bugs aren't present, so I now check ALL purchases for signs.

So what did I learn? Ask sellers for close-up images of any taped boxes, side insert flaps and corners. Dirt/dust on the tape, any white/brown showing on the side flaps/inserts, and any odd deterioration on one corner are all red flags which necessitate further inquiry. It's worth the extra trouble to ask, especially when spending decent money for some of these sets.

If anyone has any other tips, PLEASE post them! As I said, I am on the learning curve and will take any and all advice from experienced members.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil Collecting Lessons for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 12:59:34 »
Good points! I hadn't considered the bug issue. Thankfully, I haven't come across it in Playmobil, although a used book I ordered some years ago had dead baby roaches in it.  :uhoh: The seller was nonchalant about it. So it's a good idea to check packages as soon as possible. Mold could also be an issue if the boxes were poorly stored.

I don't mind open boxes with sealed bags because I'm going to open them anyway, but they shouldn't demand as high a price as true MIB sets.

With open sets, condition is a big issue, and it's not always obvious from photos. Ebay and other marketplace sellers are not meticulous like collectors when it comes to describing flaws. I've always known that most children aren't as, uh, neurotic, as I was, but getting back into Playmobil has shocked me with just how abusive some children are with their toys - and then to resell these toys without mentioning how mangled they are! I've definitely learned to be more cautious when buying used lots.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 13:11:10 »
I think I’ve had the most problems with how sellers safeguard the items while they are shipped   

I’ve bought  thousands of sets and while in transit they get beaten up

Some simple bubble wrap is usually sufficient
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 13:53:08 »
How do you store thousands of sets? I store PM in large plastic storage containers to prevent possible water/humidity damage and make them easy to move, but I can't imagine that is practical for thousands of sets.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 17:41:53 »
I seldom buy older sets that are sealed unless the price is very reasonable or there is sufficient evidence to indicate that the boxes are in excellent condition, but I am probably more particular about condition than most are. Luckily, I haven't seen any insects or insect damage, but I have seen many of the other things you mention, Alex4420.

It sounds like you've been lucky with tape removal, but, if you want to avoid any damage or remaining adhesive residue, I would recommend applying heat while removing any tape (or stickers, like price stickers). This should be done carefully, of course, but it almost always works unless the adhesive is completely dried and hardened. I typically use a heat gun, but a hair drier could work too.

When buying used sets or parts, one of the things that bothers me the most is when the pieces have an unpleasant smell to them (usually from artificial air fresheners, cleaners, smoke, or pets). Often the smells can be cleaned away, but the softer Playmobil plastics (used for hair pieces, some capes or cloaks, and other parts) tend to retain smells even after thorough cleaning. If smells cannot be removed from a part, I refuse to put it with my other parts to avoid spreading the smell! :lol:

Good points! I hadn't considered the bug issue. Thankfully, I haven't come across it in Playmobil, although a used book I ordered some years ago had dead baby roaches in it.  :uhoh: The seller was nonchalant about it.

That's unfortunate! :( That would definitely bother me. I am very particular about my book collection as well! :lol:

With open sets, condition is a big issue, and it's not always obvious from photos. Ebay and other marketplace sellers are not meticulous like collectors when it comes to describing flaws. I've always known that most children aren't as, uh, neurotic, as I was, but getting back into Playmobil has shocked me with just how abusive some children are with their toys - and then to resell these toys without mentioning how mangled they are! I've definitely learned to be more cautious when buying used lots.

This is absolutely true. Many flaws cannot usually be seen in listing pictures. And, Ismene, you can be sure that there are at least a few others like you! ;)

I think I’ve had the most problems with how sellers safeguard the items while they are shipped   

I’ve bought  thousands of sets and while in transit they get beaten up

I agree with this too; shipping damage is always a risk. I've actually had more issues with inadequate packaging and handling from large online retailers than individual sellers though. For new items, I try to buy from trusted sellers or companies that are known for their excellent packaging and handling standards; these sellers and companies almost always charge more than the others, but I find the additional cost to be worth it to maintain collector-quality condition.

I store PM in large plastic storage containers to prevent possible water/humidity damage and make them easy to move, but I can't imagine that is practical for thousands of sets.

If you too are sensitive to smells, you might want to be careful with selection of plastic containers. They can also transfer unpleasant smells to Playmobil parts (or other collectibles). This is especially true with cheaper plastic containers (and many of them also have problems with plasticiser degradation or migration or other chemical "off-gassing" or "out-gassing").
~Pynedor~

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 20:26:18 »
. . . . If you too are sensitive to smells, you might want to be careful with selection of plastic containers. They can also transfer unpleasant smells to Playmobil parts (or other collectibles). This is especially true with cheaper plastic containers (and many of them also have problems with plasticiser degradation or migration or other chemical "off-gassing" or "out-gassing").

It is quite true that plastic storage tubs can transfer unpleasant odors to plastic toys - I switched to cardboard file boxes with attached lids and bankers boxes for most of my storage needs as they don't have any glue or tape on them.  Washable toys can be deodorized by washing.  I have used active charcoal bags to eliminate odors on items that are not easily cleaned with soap and water. 

Regarding bugs, silverfish are the likely culprits as they like to eat glue, especially in older books or glued boxes.  They aren't very harmful in other ways and are slow to reproduce.  Apparently the glue in newer books and boxes is usually chemical-based and doesn't appeal to them. 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 04:40:18 »
How do you store thousands of sets? I store PM in large plastic storage containers to prevent possible water/humidity damage and make them easy to move, but I can't imagine that is practical for thousands of sets.

I have a barn, about 4 full 30’ gutted 5th wheel campers, a 2 car garage, and now a very large attic at the mountain house

Silverfish are so annoying
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 10:13:30 »
I mainly buy used PM, almost exclusively on eBay. Its not always possible to avoid pitfalls such as the following;

1. One seller sent a PM petrol station 3437 wrapped in a black plastic bag - several small pieces visible in the listing photos were missing by the time it arrived at the local sorting office, from where I had to collect it..

2. Another seller offered a bunch of sets for collection only. When I won the auction and called him to arrange collection, he refused to honour the sale, saying he would not sell it for so little.

3. Another seller offered a bundle of sets he described as "unplayed with," for collection only. The sets were shown as dismantled and jumbled up in a box, but it wasn't possible to see exactly what parts might be present. I won and collected, but when I got the box home and sorted it, I found virtually all the sets were missing loads of pieces.

The last one is my main cautionary tale. I claimed under eBay Buyer Protection that the lot was not as described. Had it been posted to me, I might have made some headway, but eBay told me that it is assumed when one collects in person that one checks the item on the doorstep, before accepting it. Although I pointed out how unrealistic this was (I suspect they did not understand the issue, would they have done that for Lego?), they would not budge. When I sell used PM sets on eBay, I now make a point of telling potential buyers that if they opt to collect in person, I will put right any discrepancy if they let me know within 10 days, as eBay won't help.

All in all, though, I have had some excellent bargains buying through eBay.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 12:43:03 »
PS I found some more details on that third example;

I paid £182.77 for the lot "Enormous set of playmobil. Everything from animals to police and firemen, cars, engines and santa! Over £500 pounds worth and unplayed with... honest, went mad one Christmas for children and aren't interested"

There were 28 sets represented in the lot, of which just 3 were complete.

I paid £66.42 for 192 replacement parts from PM to make good many of the missing parts (20 were not available).

The seller offered to hunt for the missing items. 5 days after collection, I sent him a list of what was missing. This included significant parts such as wheels, doors and roofs of vehicles. When I contacted him again 16 days later, he told me he had not found any of the missing parts but it would cost "very little" to replace them.

I requested a refund of £100 through eBay, the seller offered me £20. I estimated what I had received was in fact worth only about £60.

Caveat emptor!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 17:14:06 »
That's unfortunate! :( That would definitely bother me. I am very particular about my book collection as well! :lol:
Yeah, that book is no longer in my collection; it wasn't even old. Books are my larger collection, so I've definitely run into issues buying them online.

If you too are sensitive to smells, you might want to be careful with selection of plastic containers. They can also transfer unpleasant smells to Playmobil parts (or other collectibles). This is especially true with cheaper plastic containers (and many of them also have problems with plasticiser degradation or migration or other chemical "off-gassing" or "out-gassing").
I hadn't considered that. I'll have to watch out (smell out?) for that. I haven't noticed any transfer of odors from containers (excuse me while I awkwardly sniff a dollhouse) although they themselves have a wee bit of a plastic scent (I think they're polypropylene). But I have noticed that containers stored in uninsulated rooms (like garages and sheds) can get rather funky (not containers of Playmobil; all my Playmobil lives inside to avoid excessive temperatures).

I have a barn, about 4 full 30’ gutted 5th wheel campers, a 2 car garage, and now a very large attic at the mountain house
I'm envisioning you one day discovering a whole civilization of gnomes living among your collection.

The last one is my main cautionary tale. I claimed under eBay Buyer Protection that the lot was not as described. Had it been posted to me, I might have made some headway, but eBay told me that it is assumed when one collects in person that one checks the item on the doorstep, before accepting it.
That's good to know (although the chances of me ever finding a PM lot for sale locally are slim).

I sent a lot back once because it smelled so strongly of a perfumy chemical (I assume air freshener, Febreeze, or Lysol) that I couldn't bear it.