Author Topic: How do Funparks compare  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
How do Funparks compare
« on: September 26, 2011, 21:49:02 »
Well this weekend we went to San Diego California to a wedding. Since we were there and the kids are the perfect age ( 6, 8 & 10 ) we also decided to fit in a visit to Legoland  :o I am not a lego fan but my boys and my wife are so I had no problem kicking down over 300 bucks to go. I really did not know what to expect other that it is an amusement park for younger kids. I was very surprised at how things were. The park was very very clean, tidy well laid out and all the boys had a great time. Since school is in and it was a weekday there were very few people there. The longest line was no more than 5 minute wait. The rides were fun not only for my kids but I too had fun on them. The park itself is nothing more than a traditional park but with lego decorations around. The best part for me was to gather inspiration for my dioramas from the mini-town. It was mindboggling how much talent it takes to not only put the lego sculptures together but the painstaking effort for all the landscaping going on. The whole area was full of bonsais and let me tell you that they are very well taken care of.

Yes I know it is the Evil competition and how dare I go there but it really is a great park and Geobra can learn a few things. You all know that I only collect Playmo, in huge amounts but I can not lie about having a fun time

I was surprised to find out lego does not own these parks but they belong to Merlin corp. Maybe Geobra can partner with some other professionals similar to how they are with the social media venture

What I want to ask is, are the Playmobil parks similar? 

Now Geobra needs to open a fun park on the west coast of USA or I will be forced to continue going to Lego

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
Re: How do Funparks compare
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 00:09:25 »
i'd love to go to a playmobil theme/amusement park :cloud9: even if it was kid oriented it would be fun to go to
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 00:37:59 »
Interesting topic! I've never been to either one, and am unlikely to ever go to legoland, but it's an interesting idea to compare the two. I'd love to go to a funpark. From the pics I've seen, they look like a lot of fun!

However, unless I'm mistaken, I believe one major difference is that there are no rides at funparks, it's more about interactive and imaginative play. Personally I like that better, rather than it just being a themed ridepark.  However, it a distinct possibility that many people consider it a disappointment not to have rides and would prefer legoland for this reason.

BTW, $300?!? :o
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:17:13 by bonniebeth »
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:03 »
i'd love to go to a playmobil theme/amusement park :cloud9: even if it was kid oriented it would be fun to go to

If this particular park said Playmoland I would have been there years ago. I think this park sells a lifetime membership for 2k or 2.5k and I would consider it if it were in my town and had little blue smiling boxes instead
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Playmofool

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:02 »
I think the Zirndorf unpark is wonderful, but it's the only one I've ever been to.

All other "Funparks" are much smaller and not always situated in the best location as far as I get it.

Others should report their experience for the parks in France, Greece, Malta and the US.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:10 »
the one in malta is so-so. there is a play area for children, and an outside area that's not very exciting, and a cafeteria. there is also the shop, which stocks all the current products. what it does not stock is items from the DS catalogue. it stocks a few like animals etc but nothing that i usually want. you have to order things if you want them, which is a bummer.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:18:30 »
In greece there isnt really an outdoors area, all indoors but its really well organised , food is plain but good, staff is very friendly and overall i think is a good day out for kids , especially if they like playmobil. Even though its not big everyone i know who has been there was really pleased as a parent and overall rated the experience and service high. Admission aint cheap but i think its good that they keep that way a certain standard of visitors which is evident everytiem i go there. Also helps that the funpark is situated in Kifisia which is in the northern suburbs which are the dwelling for the  middle/upper class of Athens , Greece .  All together i would give 8 out of 10 , losing 1.5 poins for not having outdoors and half a point for not having a bit more space indoors ...

:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 22:41:04 »
Were the funparks visited set up as an amusement park (rides) or as an interactive play experience like bonnie referred to?

In the Merlin aka Lego park there was stores at the end of a lot of the rides that corresponded to a theme. The individual stores were overstocked with that particular theme. Then there was a bulk area where you could buy by the weight. There were also misc. stores all over. The food was not cheep or good. I did not want it at all as I could get local fresh fish and chips later, mmmmm ahhh. The rides were geared towards kids under puberty but still cheep thrills for an adult.

Geobra could do a lot of the themes and sell bulk parts by weight, sell good local food, sell all items with discounts for members and you have a very happy fan base.

Both my father in law and brother in law also both were very pleased with what Merlin park had to offer.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:14 »
all indoors but its really well organised , food is plain but good, staff is very friendly and overall i think is a good day out for kids , especially if they like playmobil. Even though its not big everyone i know who has been there was really pleased as a parent and overall rated the experience and service high. Admission aint cheap but i think its good that they keep that way a certain standard of visitors which is evident everytiem i go there. Also helps that the funpark is situated in Kifisia which is in the northern suburbs which are the dwelling for the  middle/upper class of Athens , Greece .  All together i would give 8 out of 10 , losing 1.5 poins for not having outdoors and half a point for not having a bit more space indoors ...

i've been to play there when i was a kid around 99' 2000 ,it was horrible all broken parts nothing organized just destorid toys laying around ,me and my friend never went there again ,just to buy ;D ;D ;D  i don't know how is it now i hope things are better there  8-) how much is the entrance ?
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:04:08 »
I've been to the Malta and France Funparks. They're very much alike, and as bolingbroke and playmo1989 said, there's nothing interesting in there but broken PM and some nice dioramas too. No rides.
The only good point of the France Funpark is that they stock DS sets. Everything from the catalogue, but they don't have spare parts, of course. Those you need to order.
The entrance is cheap, and obviously, you can access the shop for free (it's when you leave the shop that it gets expensive  ;D)
Best,
Arnaud
Life in the so called space age...