Author Topic: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION  (Read 16652 times)

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 08:51:35 »
One thing my parents thought of was how am I going to get to the back of my display table to set things up  8 ft is a long way to reach

Damo - You have wise and thoughtful parents able to ask awkward questions! I had given this some consideration and I was thinking of suspending you from the ceiling in a harness - like Tom Cruise in "Mission Impossible". :lol:  Seriously though, there are a couple of options.  One is that we set the display up by around 18 inches out from the wall.  The other is to accept that the middle of the back (around 4ft x4ft) will not be the main area of focus and will have fewer klickies back there.  I think it might be possible to do a mix whereby we set up all the "robust" items - train track, buildings etc with the set brought out.  We then push it back against the wall and populate it with klickies.  I would like it back against the wall as I wanted "backcloths" for displays.  This is a grand way of describing lengths of lining paper painted in sky blue or whatever is appropriate.

I plan to have all of the bases laid out (painted and "dressed") ready for everyone's arrival.

You mentioned racing.  Racing (I have 5 F1 style cars, a service van, a 4x4 pickup and trailer), Underwater (three submarines), Space and Garry's possible Romans are all struggling for space.  I had to move them from plans for now.  I have considered some shelves for simple display or using a separate smaller room.  Garry and I talked about a smaller table for a modest Romans display. This is still possible.  I am reluctant to leave things out. 

Playmofirth

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 12:53:37 »
I provided a plan of the hall with the proposed layout of the displays in my posted of 18 November.  People have asked me to confirm the date of the event.

I can now confirm that it will be on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th February.  I have amended the poster to show this and I have listed the display themes that people have put forward.

I would have attached the poster here but try as I might I cannot get it under 200kb.

I will look to actively promote the event after Christmas and New Year.  I have several channels of promotion I will be pursuing.

Mark

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:05 »
We are now counting down to the Playmobil Exhibition in Knaresborough on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 February.  Only six weeks to go. 8}

We have a 41ft by 27ft hall which will be well filled with displays.  While we are not looking to break any records we are looking a good broad-based exhibition showing the scope of Playmobil.

The displays are set to include - Pirates; Medieval Knights; Vikings (Sir Gareth); Wild West (Flatcat), Christmas Train scene (Walts Trains); Circus (Skypurr); City Life with Rescue, Airport, Construction, trains and shops (Playmofire and myself).  There are to be some additional cross theme contributions too.  Thanks for Basilsdad for his donation.

I look forward to meeting anyone who can attend.

Playmofirth

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 20:12:32 »
Only 6 weeks to go  :o

I should have my display finished by then.  ;D
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 21:06:16 »
If you want a preview of my Christmas layout go to:
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
and go to the Christmas layout page.

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 20:56:44 »
A quick update:

- I have started distributing posters around Knaresborough.
- Local primary schools have been contacted about putting up posters and putting articles in newsletters.
- Articles have been sent to district scouts in West Yorkshire and Harrogate District
- A press release has been prepared for local newpapers and radio
- Catalogues and CD ROMs have been received from Playmobil.
- Knowledge Magnet Toyshop in Ripon has been contacted.

- More posters will appear.
- Exhibition info on the history of Playmobil is being prepared.
- Acknowledgements will be given to all contributors to the event.

Any attendees welcome.

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 21:25:20 »
Thanks for the update, Mark, and for all the hard work you're putting in.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 22:46:53 »
Ditto!
Mark, so you have an updated list of any other items you want me to bring down? 
I'll pm you re anything new I've bought recently that might be useful.

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 13:03:51 »
Dear all

My 8ft x 4ft boards arrived on Saturday.  They are 12mm thick so they are quite rigid. I plan to paint them overthe next couple weeks.

Circus and knights baseboards will be painted green (Dulux "Putting Green" - see below)

I'll do a tropical blue green for the pirates. I am looking to add some raised land at one end to set an artillery piece on.  The Naval stockade and Garry's lighthouse can sit on this shore.

Vikings will be a steely grey/blue sea.  Garry can place his shore on this.

The Western setting will be on sandy yellow painted boards.  I might add some fine sand and grass flock.  Damo - I'll PM you about some more info.

The more complicated bit is the city life.  I'll put together an airport on one board.  Grey runway and other tarmac with grass margins for the runway.  I need to think about road and rail layout for the other sections. I might just paint it all grey to begin with and might add some green patches late on.  Gordon - any thoughts or suggestions.

Mark

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 16:26:25 »
On the large train layout that Glazz had on display in Seattle most of the city sections are grey. The exception is an area with houses and the garden center that is green. You might paint it grey, then have some green construction paper or cloth sections that can be laid down in places.