Author Topic: 4670 Crusader Special 2008  (Read 9566 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4670 Crusader Special 2008
« on: February 20, 2008, 21:31:25 »

Just got the 4670 Crusader special, for my purposes the most interesting of the first batch of Specials for 2008.

The new helmet has a hole in the top so you could add a feather if required. I like the red cross that goes on to his white legs.

The white shoulder pads and red gloves are a bonus - I didn't even notice them before I ripped open the box. Not sure how authentic the red gloves are, but people will find a use for them, and maybe Playmo'll start producing them in metal colours as gauntlets. The coif and chainmail round his neck are very useful items, and I'm sure to use these in customising some figures.

Alongside the previous crusader figures for comparison (hair on the right hand one has been changed).

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4670 Crusader Special 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 22:47:20 »
A very impressive figure, Martin, and a great review; thank you.

I should imagine the red gloves are meant to be leather, which would certainly be cooler than metal gauntlets or chain mail gloves.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:06:38 »
Hey you guys!  Don't buy them all up  :(o): Save some for us across the ocean blue.  As far as I know they aren't here yet but I look daily  :crossed: When I find them I hope to buy about 10 of them (A lot for me) Then I will celebrate  :yippee:  I did find the new blister pack 5815 and bought several as I've always wanted that cute one with the English lion on his shield.
Loved the report on the crusader I can't wait!
Janice

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:54 »

Thanks for a superb review, Martin ...

This Crusader Special seems to have more parts than most of the past Specials.

And, speaking of "past Specials," your comparative photo was a nice touch!

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:26:41 »
I really like this new crusader special, however I think Playmobil made two big mistakes.  First and worst, it's unfortunate they made his legs gold instead of silver like the rest of his armor.  This makes absolutely no sense and ruins the figure in my opinion.  Second, I wish they had made a true great helm with two eye slits instead of the big bar they chose.  This is neither historical nor aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.  With these to major exceptions, I think it's a great figure.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 17:31:21 »
I really like this new crusader special, however I think Playmobil made two big mistakes.  First and worst, it's unfortunate they made his legs gold instead of silver like the rest of his armor.  This makes absolutely no sense and ruins the figure in my opinion.  Second, I wish they had made a true great helm with two eye slits instead of the big bar they chose.  This is neither historical nor aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.  With these to major exceptions, I think it's a great figure.

Absolutely true, the gold legs are an odd choice, given his silver arms, coil, neckpiece, helmet, and shield.

I'm not so bothered about the helm, probably because it's a great improvement on most of the "fantasy" helms we've had in recent years. Helms came in a huge variety of designs, and this is at least within tolerable limits.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 20:31:34 »
My Crusader arrived Yesterday.

I like the new style helmet and the print on the flag and figure and the shield is a nice piece too.

However I don't like the red gloves and the shoulder puffs, in my opinion they don't look right on the figure at all. leave them off as spare parts and then the figure fits in nicely with the rest of the knights. I also find the gold legs an odd choice, the 2 previous crusaders are nice pleasing to the eye figures with a simple colour scheme this one is a bit of a mess I have seen better customs than this original figure.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 22:20:25 »
Perhaps a silly question - but I am going to ask it nonetheless:

is there a figure with a white coat and silver legs (in other words: the same as this Crusaders' legs, but the gold replaced by silver ones) ?

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:09:44 »
I thought there might be one in the Roman theme, but I haven't access to my collection at the moment. Of course you'd lose the red bit from the bottom of his cross, which would be a shame.

An alternative might be to keep the gold legs, and add gold arms, coif and neckpiece from the Unicorn Knight (in the Target blister packs among other sources) to create a gold crusader.

The great helmet hasn't come out in gold yet, but it probably will one day. We're also stuck with the silver shield. Ho, hum, I'd like Playmobil to explain why they went with gold legs, it might make me dislike them less.

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 14:13:34 »
Hi,

thx Martin for your review !!

world greets

Andi