Author Topic: WHERE ARE THEY?  (Read 28176 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: WHERE ARE THEY?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 21:59:26 »
I think that that's putting it too easy. I've had some very good friendships.

I was only trying to put in ways that could be understood by someone who didn't know the history of the previous events ... Everything, everyone has history, and it's great to see that!

By no means I wished to offend, and it's good to know things like this, you lived, even to know that they may happen with me, and that I may come to be as sad about a similar thing as you are.

I'm not sure there's way of changing the fact that someone vanished ... Maybe it can be prevented, so that other things like these don't happen ... Maybe to try to make post contact. (Not with her, because you probably haven't her contact, and now it's late to get ...)

Maybe there could be some sort of database. However, many people prefer to stay undetectable, and, in a way, there's nothing to be done about it. :(

(I myself am sad that I lost contact with two friends from highschool ... The two I mentioned in another message ... I made everything I could to keep the friendship, but it didn't happen, and I am sad about it.)

Hello, Bogro ...

A quick and "abbreviated" history of the Playmobil community:

[BRIEF_HISTORY]

So in summary ...

Bart had the FIRST Playmobil message board at (Collectobil) Playmobil Central.
The Yahoo Playmobil Groups, finally amalgamating into one Playmobil group, were SECOND.
And, Panos' Playmoboard was THIRD.

However, Sylvia's Playmofriends is by far the BEST ...  ;)

All the best,
Richard

No doubt this is a very (the most) friendly place to be (that I've found) for whoever loves playmobil! :)

I am in Ty's Yahoogroup ... It's great there, too, but I have to admit that this kind of board is much easier to use ... Yahoo is great to store stuff, though.

this is a bit off of the subject, but it follows with "they didn't make friends".  being new to all of this, how long have these sites been active, and how did collectors keep in touch back in the dark ages before the internet?  (and i feel that i can say dark ages because i remember toting my shoe boxes of fortran cards around campus, waiting to get a spot in the computer lab!

kaethe

(When we open the forum through "playmofriends.com", it goes to a message by Sylvia that says "Happy Aniversary, Playmofriends!", which is from Nov 10th 2006, so Playmofriends is from (Nov 10th (?) -- think so! 8} ) 2005!)

It's very weird to think about how people got along together before, but, in a way, things probably were very regional ... As I was about 10, and saw the dioramas in the pirate boat box (an even previous version than 3750), my cousin an I wondered marvelled where the heck must that framework houses be sold ... -- The Medieval collection here, in Brasil, had only half of the figures, and no castles ... (It's a bit understandable ... In Brasil there's no castles -- I'm not justifying!: I'm ... trying to understand marketing reasons for Troll not to have done castles and medieval houses in Brasil (...).)

Internet makes possible some of the things that were unthinkable. A Brasilian to begin collecting Playmobil again, while, in Brasil, there's an "Almanaque 1980" that shows my favourite toy as an oddity of the '80s (!! >:(!!) ... As well as allow people from all over the world to get in touch, around a common interest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:38:22 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 01:42:43 »
thanks richard and everyone for the history.  this is definitely the friendliest site, even for newcomers.  it is mind-boggling to read all of the research and effort that goes into some of the scenarios that are shared. 
personally i remember going to the specialty toy stores with my kids here in san francisco 25ish years ago, and drooling over the big playmobil displays, but only being able to buy a few klickies here and there for them.  i did my best not to influence them to buy the ones i wanted, but then i decided it was ok to collect a few (hospital theme) for myself.  one day an older gentleman was at the toy store buying all of the newest sets, and i commented how lucky his child was to have so many wonderful pieces, to which he replied, "child, nope these are for me!"  the shop owner later told me he had purchased every set she had and many duplicates.  i wonder who he was, i never ran into him again. 
kaethe

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:16 »
It's interesting to see how the online community has developed. My first experience was with Collectobil, and then Playmoboard. I left Playmoboard for several reasons. The two main ones were: too much bickering, and online sellers pushing sets to collectors. I didn't get a sense of community there.

Playmofriends has been (by far) the friendliest, best moderated site that I've been on. Everybody is polite, and everyone is here for the toys. It's a pleasure to be here every time I stop by.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 13:15:04 »
Playmofriends has been (by far) the friendliest, best moderated site that I've been on. Everybody is polite, and everyone is here for the toys. It's a pleasure to be here every time I stop by.

We're the rich gentry of the Playmobil community.

But, seriously, the $5 entrance fee really does filter out the un-serious.

The fly-by-nights on Playmoboard drive me up the wall.

Typical introduction:
Somebody told me I have to introduce myself if I want the instructions to castle #3666.  Hi my name is SlaveToMyKids777.  I want to stay anonymous, because I think you guys are weird, but if you have the instructions to #3666 email them to brendapatriciamurphy@gmail.com.

Sincerely, SlaveToMyKids777

* Based on a true story

But seriously:
As for vanishing members of forums:
It's a slim possibility that a few of the non-responders have... died.  In today's world, we ought to include in our wills what e-friends should be informed in the event of untimely demise...

-Tim

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 13:35:09 »

But, seriously, the $5 entrance fee really does filter out the un-serious.

That said, there are 8 people who paid to register but never posted once. Why would anyone bother to do that?

Happy to say that Tim & I have posted over 1,000 between us so far, so I reckon we're getting our money's worth.

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 17:37:34 »
That said, there are 8 people who paid to register but never posted once. Why would anyone bother to do that?

Maybe they wanted to see some of the non-public pictures?

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:13 »
Maybe they wanted to see some of the non-public pictures?

I have to admit that a certain curiosity for this made me explore this forum a bit more than I use to do with forums in the internet ...

Only, I found out that it was much funnier to write as well.

ALTHOUGH -- I have to admit as well -- I was a bit shy, before I wrote anything.

But reading the "Welcome" threads inspired me to begin.

&, btw, I've been reading that section, until the beginning, the first welcome speeches ...

I see some people who spoke there and who go on speaking, and others who spoke there, and then not frequently after anylonger ...

There's also people who are always taking a look at the news, but not always interacting with words, though they still like it here.

There may be children as well ... Sometimes children don't have what to speak. There are some discussions that are a bit, er-- I speak about myself, sometimes I, by thinking, I orbit other planets, and the whole iada may be iada iada to them. (And not only to children ...)

(Pyrrhus too, for example, likes a lot to speak about subjects of other planets ;D , sometimes we even speak together :lol: )
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 02:21:48 »

I myself, according to what I said somewhere else ...

As for the weekend to be ending, it's very significant to all who already noticed that I write here more on weekends. In fact, I tend not to write at all during the week. This helps me because, as it can also be noted, ... I spend not little time, when I come in! :hmm: ... :yup:

Maybe my signature should be "@ Your Service ... Mainly on Weekends!". I thought about changing it, but I decided not to do it ... ::)

I usually don't get here during the week, and, however, I evesdrop a lot!

(I work in a balcony, and I don't like to stay logged while I'm working, because I can't be concentrated, but, once and again I "plug", as I have too big a curiosity about one or another commented picture, which can't be seen unlogged ... ;D )

So, for some moments, even during the week, mainly around 19:00 (Rio de J.), you will find a green Red Knight, when you pass by ;) )

There's always at least 15 guests, and not unusually one member.

(Today, extraordinarily, I'm here for a longer time ... Trying to learn about the albums ... But you will seldom see a message by me during the week.  Even when I get in, during the night, I usually don't reply anything ... And I admit that it will be hard to keep it short today, but I have no choice :'( )

Therefore,
 :wave:

G.--
Gus

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 03:00:36 »
Speaking of where are they? What prompted your change in avatar Martin? I really enjoyed your Morris Dancer!

Gepetto

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12:03 »
(I work in a balcony, and I don't like to stay logged while I'm working, because I can't be concentrated, but, once and again I "plug", as I have too big a curiosity about one or another commented picture, which can't be seen unlogged ... ;D )

Hi Gustave,
You've stimulated my interest--balcony doesn't mean what you think it does, and I'm trying to guess what you meant.

"balcony" means "balcão" (if Babel-Fish is correct).

A menos que você se sentar fora em um balcão quando você trabalhar.
-Tim