Author Topic: WHERE ARE THEY?  (Read 28190 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
WHERE ARE THEY?
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:43:29 »

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Which leads to the next question:

Where are they now?

Breathes new life into the saying: Old collectors never die, they just fade away. 

On another forum, somebody was circulating a thread from 2003, and the line-up resembled a graveyard of vanished faces. 

Do people get bored, move on?  Do their kids grow up and they lose the passion / camouflage?  A new forum draws them off?  (There's only like six forums in the world, though, right?)

It's nice to know we have Richard to count on to never quit!

-Tim

Timmy posted the above response to a post that I made in another topic.

I had mentioned the name of one of the entrants who had participated in Collectobil's Customizing Contest about six years ago.

IMHO, Timmy's question (Where are they now?) seemed important enough to have it's own topic!

I hope that everyone else agrees ...  ;D

All the best my friends,
Richard 

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: WHERE ARE THEY?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 14:43:01 »
Some have drifted away and some are active somewhere else and some ... I just don't know.
It all depends on the person. ... Allthough I still would like to know how they are doing  :-[

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 15:07:58 »
(don't they answer to e-mail calls? ::) )

G.--
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 16:58:01 »
Some don't  :'(

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 18:34:04 »
In a way, this means that they didn't make friends ... It happens. :(
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 23:58:13 »
this is a bit off of the subject, but it follows with "they didn't make friends".  being new to all of this, how long have these sites been active, and how did collectors keep in touch back in the dark ages before the internet?  (and i feel that i can say dark ages because i remember toting my shoe boxes of fortran cards around campus, waiting to get a spot in the computer lab!

kaethe

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:44 »
In a way, this means that they didn't make friends ... It happens. :(

I think that that's putting it too easy. I've had some very good friendships. But if you're both living on different continents, then that's already putting a strain on things. And sometimes, they just drop out/ off - never to be heard from again. You just don't know what happened.
I've had had a very good relationship with Stacey for a long time. And she's just suddenly disappeared. I tried to re-instate the contact; but there's just nothing. I don't know what happened. But stating that "she didn't make friends" does hurt then.

In the end they're all individual cases with individual reasons and individual situations. You can't just go about picking up a broom and sweep them all unto a single heap...

as to Kaethe: some of the older sites have been up and running for a long time. If I remember correctly, Playmoboard was founded in 2001 and as far as I know - there was nothing before that. I joined in in 2004 so I'm afraid I can't tell you anything of what went on before that.

Bogro
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 14:12:52 by CountBogro »

Offline tiger1983uk

• The Lurker
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 13:39:03 »
this is a bit off of the subject, but it follows with "they didn't make friends".  being new to all of this, how long have these sites been active, and how did collectors keep in touch back in the dark ages before the internet? 

The first online Playmobil group I remember was on Yahoo Groups I can't recall when it started, I moved from there to Playmoboard and from there to here. Before the internet I thought I was the only none Child buying Playmobil ;D
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 16:37:07 »

Hello, Bogro ...

as to Kaethe: some of the older sites have been up and running for a long time. If I remember correctly, Playmoboard was founded in 2001 and as far as I know - there was nothing before that. I joined in in 2004 so I'm afraid I can't tell you anything of what went on before that.

Bogro

A quick and "abbreviated" history of the Playmobil community:

Before forums (and boards) there were newsgroups.
Lego had a newsgroup (rec.toys.lego). Playmobil did not have a newsgroup!

About 1996-1997 I was consistently "flamed" in the Lego newsgroup for mentioning Playmobil and for looking for other Playmobil collectors. (BTW, I never found another Playmobil collector.)

However, I did meet David Helber, a fellow Texan, who had just started his Victorian Wargaming site. He liked Playmobil and gave me a lot of help in setting up Garden Wargaming. (GW was launched in April of 1998.)

eBay had started in 1994. Only a few used Playmobil sets were beginning to be offered for auction.

Bart de Smet had no sooner launched Playmobil Central in 2000, when Playmobil's attorneys informed him that he could not have a Playmobil website. Oliver Deeg had begun his Playmobil photo stories about the same time and was told that he also couldn't have a website using the Playmobil name.

On Sunday the 26th of November, 2000 ... The three of us launched operation "Klicky Thunder" ...  ;D

"Playmobil Central" continued to operate under cover. The name was changed to "Collector Central" and hosted at Garden Wargaming. Then we began the Great Klicky Wars.

All of the online Playmobil vendors were angry with Zirndorf as they had been told that they could no longer sell Playmobil over the internet. The eBay dealers were angry because they might lose their "collector" customer base.

Bart, Oliver and I organized a massive email campaign (with the help of the vendors, eBay dealers and collectors) that totally surprised Zirndorf. Within a matter of weeks, the three of us were invited to visit with the powers at Klicky Towers.

Geobra's attorneys came up with some guidelines for Playmobil fansites. We made a few suggestions. And, we finally all agreed on what is still being used today.

Bart reopened Playmobil Central as Collectobil, Oliver reopened his website as Playfans, Tahra reopened Playmoville as Playkingdoms, and so on.

Bart almost immediately reinstated the "message board" for the Playmobil community! (This was the FIRST Playmobil forum, board or group!) The kind of free "Forum" software thst we have today was not yet available, so it all had to be managed manually.

When the three Yahoo Playmobil groups came along, Bart closed the Collectobil message board.

The three Yahoo Playmobil groups were finally amalgamated into one. Ty ran it until he became ill and Sylvia took it over until he was well enough to return.

Panos really angered most of the "old timers" when he opened Playmoboard. Using the name "Playmo" was in direct defiance of the agreement that we had all made with Geobra. However, we all decided to ignore it, as we had already fought a long hard battle with Zirndorf and didn't want to stir up any unnecessary trouble for any of us.

So in summary ...

Bart had the FIRST Playmobil message board at (Collectobil) Playmobil Central.
The Yahoo Playmobil Groups, finally amalgamating into one Playmobil group, were SECOND.
And, Panos' Playmoboard was THIRD.

However, Sylvia's Playmofriends is by far the BEST ...  ;)

All the best,
Richard

Edit: forgot a comma ... :-[
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 14:34:31 by Richard »

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 21:24:00 »
Thanks for the History-lesson, Richard. Now I am up to date again ... (if I can remember it all  :-[ )

Bogro