Author Topic: Train Transformer hook up ?  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Train Transformer hook up ?
« on: August 13, 2008, 22:19:58 »
Ok i just got my first electric train in the mail.  :love: I have plenty of RC's but i now see the glamor of electric. The problem is the tranformer is US 120 AC . The output is 0-21v DC or 16v AC . Which one do i use ?  ???
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
Re: Train Transformer hook up ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 23:19:37 »
You want the 0-21V DC - the variable voltage controls the train's speed.  The AC is for accessories, like track switches and lighting.

Enjoy!!!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 00:01:06 »
Oh now that makes sense . :wow: Thank you .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 00:08:45 »
Ok i hooked it up and the train took off  :love: But i have no controll over speed or stoping  ??? The dial does not seem to be doing anything . I looked on the bottom of the blue Playmobil Transformer to see if i could open it ( in case the resistor or ? was broken ) and all i saw was the

" MADE IN CHINA "  :hissyfit: :doh:

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:22:42 »
does it go forward and backwards?  Does it have a switch to change direction or uses the control nob?

The playmobil transformers are not very robust and will frequently fail, though usually with no power rather than full power.   If you have a voltmeter you can check it out to see if anything's changing at all.

I've bought a few cheap LGB transformers on ebay and find they work really well with the playmobil electric engines.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:24:06 »
Hi, Yes the switch does work . I have to use the plug to stop the train and then switch it and plug it back in and it will go the other way . I can not imagine switching a train at full speed is very good to do to it .

That LGB Transformer you are talking about I assume it will fit the Playmobil track considering it is LGB ?

This Electric Train is so cool i am now looking for a spot to do a garden lay out . All i need to do now is learn how to bonsai a tree  ;D

:wave: Thanks for the help figuring out my problems Knight Train  :wow:

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:56:48 »
as long you have a variable DC power supply wich goes from 0 -> 36 V you'll be ok

so any Train power supply will d the trick
as long you have enough power

you must count that a playmo train consumes aprox 1 amp (variable on how many coaches he needs to pull

playmobil transformers go up to 16V DC as I recall

I built my powersupply myself up to 36 V
makes the trains go faster  ;D

welcome in the world of traincrashes  ;)

and goodluck

One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 20:44:20 »
Here's a few Ebay LGB transformers that are pretty reliable.  But as MacGayver said, any decent train transformer with similar characterists to the playmobil tranformer will work just fine.  Even HO train transformers - though be careful, because they tend to be underpowered (in amps) since HO trains are much lighter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LGB-50081-TRANSFORMER_W0QQitemZ120290694928QQihZ002QQcategoryZ19154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - no auxilliarly power (AC output on playmobil).

http://cgi.ebay.com/LGB-5003-110-TRANSFORMER_W0QQitemZ360075416616QQihZ023QQcategoryZ19154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - really close to playmobil specifications.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 02:45:28 »
Thanks Knight train , those are not expensive at all . I then followed the G scale search and  :o the prices of old track is  8} . I need a night job if i want a big lay out . i guess i will start small and leave room for expansion . In this way i can pretend a klickie is a Rail Road Tycoon swallowing up all the little towns in the train tracks path. I will be sure to include the kids in this educational play about eminent domain :P