Author Topic: 3D Printed Apollo Lunar Lander  (Read 995 times)

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
3D Printed Apollo Lunar Lander
« on: March 06, 2023, 18:46:41 »

A few years ago I found that a playmobil astronaut grabs PERFECTLY on to the hand rails on the Air & Space Museum's tactile Apollo model. I could tell it was 3D printed so I set out to find the plans and print my own. It took awhile, but now I have it and I love it.
It took a while to print and assemble, but really isn't that hard. If you have patience, it's an entry level effort.

I got the 3D file, but it loads up very small in my slicer software, so I had to do some test prints and found the right percentage. I then diced the large parts into smaller portions so they'd fit on my printer. I covered the legs with foil for that authentic touch.

And the astronaut klickys fit right on. Perfect fit. Both hands clip right onto the hand rails of the "porch".  Not only do I love Apollo stuff, but I also get so excited when I find something in the wild that is seemingly built for playmobil scale.

I found that vintage playmospace astronauts work really well too.

ApolloLEM-019 by Andy Jones, on Flickr

Gimme a day or two, I'll come back and post the link to the STL file and the directions I made up. The file straight from Smithsonian needed a bit of work and I'm working up full instructions and decals.
I'm hoping to 3D print more playmobil playsets and accessories in the future. One of my dreams is creating snap-on pieces for a more accurate apollo astronaut space suit.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: 3D Printed Apollo Lunar Lander
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 19:02:05 »
That's awesome!

Thanks for sharing :love:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 19:53:47 »
That's amazing Andy, it looks so good!  :love:

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 23:12:51 »
Your last picture reveals what we all knew: the moon landing was all faked!
Don’t know why anyone thought it was real anyway - the moon is made out of cheese and we clearly saw the pictures and movies show a dusty surface.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 07:36:44 »
Your last picture reveals what we all knew: the moon landing was all faked!

:lol:

That's a great result, AgeOwns! Although Playmospace came several years after the first lunar landing, Geobra made no attempt to create anything which looked like the real LEM. Thanks for putting them straight!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 23:14:20 »
80sstation_02 by Andy Jones, on Flickr

True, this does not look nearly as accurate as the Space Shuttle that came out a few years ago, I did like how it was vaguely "inspired by" the octagon shape of the LEM. I would looooove if playmobil creators saw how this looks and made something official.

I'm also playing around with the idea of adding legit playmo space accessories to the top, like a radar dish from my collection.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 09:18:26 »
That old space station is great. I wonder if the number 2005 is a reference to the year they expected such a thing to be in existence? Along with anti-gravity hoverboards and inter-stellar travel.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 18:18:34 »
This is fantastic work, Andy!  Dare I say that it's "out if this world?"   :love:

I always enjoy your creations and scenes - vicariously - as I don't have the skills myself.  Thank you so much for continuing to share your work here at PF!   :clap:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts