Author Topic: injection molding marks  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
injection molding marks
« on: January 10, 2013, 16:25:14 »
For years I have been in aw of Geobras ability to design and create very aesthetically appealing toys. It is actually one of the main reasons why I prefer it over legos with all their bumps and holes in everyting. I guess as time goes on new technology is invented and what seems like a more modern technique is the multicolored molding. In multicolor molding two or three colors need to be injected in the mold simultaneously . Now in the past with one color there was only one spot where the molten plastic had to enter the mold which left a somewhat unnoticeable mark on parts. As I have been buying more and more surprise figures I have become increasingly annoyed at these marks. I am now looking at the pregnant lady. She is beautiful in so many ways but as I look at here in detail, shes so mesmerising, I can not help but notice these marks. To me the marks actually look like some sort of scars. The only type of scar that looks like that are either a cigarette or cigar burn, but its a bit too large for those so the only other one would be a gun shot scar. If you have ever seen an arm with a bullet scar it looks very similar to these molding marks. Why does my angelic pregnant lady have bullet holes in both her arms? As I look at the arms I realized that on female arms them having only one way to be installed due to the bend, you have to have the scars facing outwards. Is it really that hard to mold the arm the other way around so at least it looks like someone shot at her back

The actual mold separation mark annoys me less. The line that is left in an arm where the mold has to open. At least it just looks like a crease in a shirt or something.

with geobras insistence in increasing profits I feel as though they are taking short cuts that are lowering their track record of the highest quality toys. I saw this with the attempt at having china mold sets and now that
 that failed Geobra is now using the same cheep molds for themselves in Germany.

I tried to take pictures of it but its not easy with my camera. The spot is right were the pink flesh meets the Red of her shirt.

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
Re: injection molding marks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:48:28 »
I just cannot agree more and those lines and holes really bug me a lot. I have been told Geobra did step up and deny moving their factory to china. But according to my observation, it appears they really have done that and you can see figures begin to surface and listed on taobao, a site which is like eBay with just buy it now items, like they do in Malta.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:50:43 »
Am using my phone to type so this reply is fragmented into two.

Apart from the injecting mark, you can now easily spot the flow lines of the plastic, much like the lava pattern on those volcanic rocks. What make things worse is they act like fault line and the figures animals or parts could easily break as a result.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:59 »
As a collector, I would selfishly want Geobra to stay small scale. They have been aiming big trying to expand their fan base and product line. But it will be futile if their most fundamental technique does not advance at the same time. It is a very stupid idea to segregate the markets into export and non export market, even in the pan-Europe, blaming the mould cannot handle it.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 00:48:59 »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one annoyed by this. If they don't keep the quality up, then it's not worth it for me to collect.