Author Topic: Inside the new 5135 Pirates' Flagship  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Inside the new 5135 Pirates' Flagship
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:59 »
Member "Blueflower" posted on "Klikcywelt" the 1st pic of the inside of the new 5135 Pirates' ship.

The inner gundeck of the 3940/US 3286 has been redesigned;
In the middle of the ship the sides of the innerdeck are moved inwards towards the cargo bay. The fake guns outside the cargobay can be replaced by proper Playmobil-shipcanons but only before assembling the upperdeck, and they have to be put on the white foam (except the ones in the captain's cabin) that serves for keeping the ship afloat in water.
On the sides to the cargohold, the space to install non-fake guns is just a little to limited, so these canons have to be squeezed a bit between the inner side of the hull and the sides of the cargo-bay.

The captain's cabin has also some differences compared with the 3940/3286:
*The nice brown table is gone and is replaced by a moulded piece (quite ugly ihmo).
* The bed is completely brown: the white sheets & pillow  - which could be lifted off in the 3940/3286 to put some accessories under the bed - are now also brown wich is certainly not as nice anymore, and the upperside of the bed is now also part of the mould... :-\

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
Re: Inside the new 5135 Pirates' Flagship
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:53 »
Thanks for the analysis and photo! The brown bed etc is really quite disappointing. It looks cheap and poorly thought out.
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 14:03:22 »
Additional pic from "blueflower" on Klickywelt...

Properly installing canons on the front gunports... will require some customizing, like adding something to fill up the hull in the bow-section, to create a flat surface at the same level of the white foam... BECAUSE THE DESIGNERS HAVE CUT OFF HALF OF THE INNER-DECK OF THE 3940/3286 !!!  :o

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 16:17:53 »
So really this has been redesigned so it floats better. And the interior system x components wouldn't get lost.

Looks like Playmobil listened to the people.

However, they didn't go the extra step to satisfy everyone.

Sounds like budget was the underlying factor.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 18:00:01 »
It's stupid if you ask me. Id rather they gave us a nice looking ship that couldn't float. How many kids play with them in the water, anyway? And how many collectors?

"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 22:51:19 »
hmmm, they've done essentially what I've done to make the ship more seaworthy:

The original mould of this ship CAN float upright---- as long as there is no crew aboard, and NO CANNONS on the gundeck.  I remember when I first bought my first 3286 ship, I purchased it with a full compliment of 8 cannons only to be disappointed that, when loaded with all 8 cannons, the ship wouldn't even stay upright in the water!

Looks like Playmobil became aware of this and remedied it by eliminating the cannons alltogether (and even the ability to add cannons.

Even though the captain's quarters can still house real cannons, note in the pics that the fastening hardpoints for the cannons to attach to are no longer there.  So even if you do put real cannons anywhere below deck, they will slide around without the hardpoints there for them to fasten onto.

MY QUESTION: are the faux-cannon inserts water-tight (or at least mostly water-tight?) to keep water out from entering at the gunports?  Since they removed all but the cargo hold on the gundeck, they probably should have remoulded the styrofoam insert to take up the remaining void in its place to make the ship unsinkable.

The 3050 mould is pretty stable, but isn't immunte to capsizing either, so I guess if at least they can make this ship MOSTLY stable, that's better than nothing.

But what's the point of adding real cannons yourself to this new mould if you have to semi-permanently close the gundeck off (screwing the deck on) and can't gain access to the cannons?  All you'll see sticking out are the guntips.  The only satisfaction you'll have is that in your mind you'll know that there are real cannons in there, but for practical purposes, it's kinda pointless, since you can't even play with them.

That's why I opted for faux cannons myself, though, unlike this mould, mine has the ability to be switched out for the real gundeck and real cannons, and still has full access to the real cannons if you want to play with them in battle (loading, resetting the cannons after recoil, and, in the case of the spring-loaded cannons, you can still access the guns to actually FIRE them.)

Too bad about the all-moulded-into-one-piece captain's quarters....maybe they did that to save on costs.  And to minimize pieces floating away in the case of submersion.  But, kinda lame.

About the only thing I think is cooler about the changes is we get a new colour, and new sails, and some new pirates.  Otherwise, I prefer the original mould/attributes.  Oh, and the real rigging from the old one is preferable to this plastic stuff, but nothing some string from a craft store can't remedy.  I'll buy one of these ships to add to my collection, but I'll stick to buying 3286 hulls off ebay for $20 when it comes to customizing :D
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 22:52:43 »
It's stupid if you ask me. Id rather they gave us a nice looking ship that couldn't float. How many kids play with them in the water, anyway? And how many collectors?

As a kid and a collector I would be very disappointed if it couldn't really sail in the water.  I do own several non-playmobil toy ships that aren't made for water use.....and while they look cool, I find them seriously disappointing.  I'm glad playmobil ships can float at least, however stable or unstable they may be in their stock condition.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:38 »
Bathtubs are most likely the sea of choice for most kids - so not a lot of waves. Nor far to sink.

As for ratio of kids to collectors. I'm not sure. 10000:1

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:01 »
It looks like a bot of trimming to the rear of the gun carriage would allow the guns towards the stern to fit square.  Certainly, at the bow end extra "decking" is needed as with the cannon positioned as in the picture it's a sort of semi-bowchaser but with the disadvantage of running the risk of taking off the mount for the anchor!

With Playmobil's skills at multi-colour injection moulding, I would have thought that moulding the bedding in white would have been worth considering.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:25:27 »
Bathtubs are most likely the sea of choice for most kids - so not a lot of waves. Nor far to sink.

As for ratio of kids to collectors. I'm not sure. 10000:1
I would think a lot of kids moght want to try out sailing it in the swimming pool. Home swimming pools are awfully common around here, and anyplace where the weather is warm a lot of the year. So I'd say a good percentage of kids would like a pirate ship that wouldn't capsize and lose all its accessories in the bottom of the pool.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.