Author Topic: 5401 Victorian Photographer MIB  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
5401 Victorian Photographer MIB
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:04:25 »
Ras requested a review, so here goes.

This is a set I've wanted for a looong time, and it's been in a box for about as long, so we'll do this gently.

Before I crack it open, let's take some time to admire our beloved pink-purple box.
- Price tag is still attached. That's about what I paid... for the shipping.  :lol:
- :lens: "Made in West Germany" That certainly dates it.
- Lovely side view, complete with a language lesson. I secretly enjoyed those as a kid. Kind of still do.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: 5401 Victorian Photographer MIB
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:27 »
Of course, the best side of all, the back! Sadly, I don't have most of the klickies posing for the camera.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:42:33 »
So you're going to open it? I assume that's what you're doing now - opening it and taking pictures. :lol:
~Pynedor~

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:57 »
Of course!

But... we have a problem. There's no instructions, so I'm assembling by the picture. I put the lens in the camera before the accordion piece, but I didn't realize the shutter cord needed to be attached to the camera body before popping in the accordion piece, which is now doesn't want to come back out. Argh!

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:54:05 »
You could try to stick something to it and try to pull it out that way. If it's really stuck in, you might try a pin or something if you're careful.
~Pynedor~

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:48 »
One side has a snap in tab, and the other snaps onto the lens. After many tries, I finally was able to get the tab out with my nail and the piece pulled up with the other hand. I've jammed that side with a plastic needle, so it won't pop back in. Now trying to snap it off the lens. Geobra, these things need instructions!  :wall:

ETA: SUCCESS! So after a bit of a search to find my hook and needle bag for a 2nd needle, I jammed the other needle under the other side, and together they lifted off the black piece. :yippee: We now have a fully assembled camera.

I have to go eat dinner. Will be back with pics!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:29:39 by Ismene »

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:16:57 »
I'm glad you managed to get the camera assembled, and I look forward to the pictures! You could have taken detailed "this is what not to do" pictures and formed visual instructions for the archives. :lol:
~Pynedor~

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:38 »
I was too frustrated to take photos of the mistake. But if anyone runs into the same issue, plastic needles are a lifesaver, er camera-saver!

Now, back to the review...

The glue on the box is yellowed and brittle, inside a sweet perfume-y scent, like burning polyester.

The contents consist of an old pamphlet and a packet of parts, but no instructions.  :doh:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:43:51 »
The tripod is hard to snap together, and its yellow color is jarring against the brown and black of the camera itself.

The photographer's joints are very stiff, but I think they'll loosen up with exercise. Being encased for 20+ years is hard on the body.

The additional plates are a must for any serious photographer, and they all fit nicely in the case, which is good so they won't get lost. Interestingly, the printed case is not shown in the box art.

Overall, it's a wonderful set, though the assembly had me thinking some words that no proper Victorian lady should. I have a couple ideas for minor customs to go with this klicky, but I need to track down some discontinued parts first. In the meantime, I'm trying to convince him to go on a blind date with the laundry maid.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:51 »
Great review, Ismene! This really does look like a cool set. And your pictures are very well done; they show the parts very clearly and are very crisp-looking. Well done! :)

Overall, it's a wonderful set, though the assembly had me thinking some words that no proper Victorian lady should.

:lol: After all those years in that little box, perhaps he was a bit vengeful toward humans!
~Pynedor~