Author Topic: Sunken Galleon  (Read 236 times)

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
Sunken Galleon
« on: April 25, 2024, 05:14:10 »
Just finished this galleon shipwreck:

I ordered an incomplete, used ghost pirate ship — set 4806 — on Ebay, a while ago ( $35 incl. shipping ), and went to town with a dremel, jewelers saw, and acrylic paint.  Took about a week, in my spare time.

The acrylic paint held surprisingly well to the unprimed hull.  I started with a black wash, which I applied with a couple brushes ( one 1/2 inch, and the other one, small, to re-emphasize select plank lines and cracks ), and then switched to an olive-green wash for the algae, applied via a torn sponge.

I finished by cementing eyelash yarn ( which I first sponged with the algae wash, to knock down the shininess ), followed by a few clusters of modelmaking clump-foliage.  ...I could have gone with another layer of lighter, apple-green algae wash, here and there, but thought better not risk it; plus, the project's due (birthday).

Note: I was tempted, initially, to use a laser level to make a diagonal cut across the hull, so the ship would be more realistically tilted sideways, partially sunken into the sand, but thought better of it, as that would make standing figures on deck impossible ( in addition to likely hampering the swivel-deck feature ).  This is meant as a playset for my nephew, after all.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:56:49 by JPSA »

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Sunken Galleon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 05:20:44 »
More photos:

The reason I made a big hole in the front section's underside, is because the playset was missing the compartment trap door, up top, so I cut and fashioned one out of the base.  Then, I felt I had to put a smaller hole in the rear section, as well, for balance.  ... Some reef, the galleon crashed into!  It survived extensive battle damage, over the years, but that did it.  :)  The captain never got over it — literally.

Inspiration:

Tintin discovers The UNICORN

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 11:00:42 by JPSA »

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 08:22:13 »
That's a lovely creation, JPSA. Your nephew is one lucky lad!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 08:33:13 »
Hi GrahamB.  Thank you.  I think so too [ ...though, to be honest, I am having a blast as well, reliving parts of my childhood!  Shhh. ☺ ].

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 11:55:59 »
That is gorgeous. I'd love to see it in an aquarium!

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 12:04:24 »
Thank you, Alex4420!  It turned out better than expected.  ...Sticking it in an aquarium wouldn't work, as is, because the unprimed water-based paint ( acrylic ) would turn the water black and green. ☺  I imagine applying a coat of sealant of some sort would work, though, once fully cured — but, you'd have to apply it before gluing the eyelash yarn and clump-foliage.

Note: In a way, it'd be hard to get it wrong, because the more beat up, scratched, and decayed-looking (layers), the better.  I believe it's a fun, easy project, anyone could do well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 12:42:35 by JPSA »

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 13:15:58 »
 :(o): :(o): :(o): Incredible  :clap:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 02:40:22 »
Thanks, Macruran! :)

Notes: Although PM has set 3951 ( "Sea Wreck with Plants and Diver )", I didn't think that small bit of shipwreck was quite up to snuff, drama-wise.  Maybe PM could produce a proper sunken galleon, at some point, as it does offer a lot of play and diorama possibilities...  There is, however, set 6481 ( "Shipwreck Cove Ship" ), which I did consider for modification, and might do next time...  for, say, an underwater ship graveyard?  Mmmm, with the whale carcass thrown in, that might make a proper homeland for ghost pirates.  "Infestation, I tell you, infestation!" :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 04:12:23 by JPSA »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 16:04:19 »
That's a great bit of custom work. It looks excellent in the scene.