Author Topic: Not getting notification of PMs and replies to topics  (Read 2326 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Not getting notification of PMs and replies to topics
« on: September 04, 2009, 20:48:16 »
I've noticed today that I'm not always getting notification of PMs and replies to topics.  Is this happening to anyone else?

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Not getting notification of PMs and replies to topics
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:17:44 »
Hi Gordon,
I'm not having any problems with my PM notifications, but I've never got any post replies!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:48:58 »
I think I've missed a couple of PM notifications this week, but like Bill I don't have replies to posts set to notify me.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:52:28 »

Hi Gordon,

I'm not sure what is causing your lack of notification emails. Occasionally in the past I have had a bunch of notifications get delayed and then they all come through at once several days later.

What's odd is I am subscribed to this board and I didn't get a notification for this particular topic, while other notifications have been reaching me without any problem. :eh?:

I'm not having any problems with my PM notifications, but I've never got any post replies!

There is a page in your Profile area where you can adjust your notifications:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=462;sa=notification

The link above will only work for Bill because it has his member ID number, but if anyone else wants to alter their settings they should click the Profile link in the top navigation bar, then look under Modify Profile on the left side for a link titled "Notifications and Email." It's a very good idea to familiarize yourself with all the different areas in your Profile because these will improve your regular interaction with the forum.

Important Note: Most of the user settings for notifications are switched off by default, so if you don't edit them you'll never get any notifications.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:49:27 »
Notification of posts is coming through oddly - sometimes none, sometimes with a delay and sometimes very quickly.  For example, I received the notification for playmovictorian's latest post to the topic on Your pictures of summer at the same time as your post for this topic, but the former post went up yesterday!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 14:58:03 »
I've just had notification of a post for Knights left unattended, timed at 14:53 04/09/2009, long after notifications for posts from today.   ???

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:18:06 »
Another oddity about notification of posts emails is that in the last week or so some have started going to the spam folder on my online account, apparently quite randomly.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:07:36 »

Gordon, do you have a way of adding email addresses to a "safe senders" list? This is what I do if I find emails are not reaching me when they should be.

If you can, add a catch-all such as *@playmofriends.com to that list. It should prevent your email provider from blocking any notification emails coming from PlaymoFriends.

As for the delayed notifications, it seems they are being caused by PF's mail server. I found the following message at Dreamhost - the site which hosts PlaymoFriends:

Delayed mail originating from sites
Posted (September 3rd, 2009 at 12:55 pm PST) by danwy

One of our mail servers that relays mail originating from websites hosted on our system is having some issues with its mail queue. As a result, any mail being sent from web servers is being delayed. We are aware of this situation and one of our mail admins is currently working on resolving this issue. We don’t have an ETA when this will be resolved yet, but we will update this post with any additional information as soon as we have it.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 18:59:44 »
I'll try what you suggest, Sylvia.  Thanks for your help.