Author Topic: 5898 Alaskan adventure SUV  (Read 11031 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
5898 Alaskan adventure SUV
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:27 »
Hello all  :wave:

One of this years new Target sets is the re-colored SUV. This round it is in a nice deep red color that I am very pleased with. We have seen most all these parts already used but not in these colors. The box graphics are very nice. I like the whole scene except that Klicky has never paddled a canoe or tied one on top of a vehicle before. It is selling for $19.99.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:09:00 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 5898 Alaskan adventure SUV
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:44 »
The contents are numerous and for the price is seems like a lot. The SUV for the vet is $18.99 and has far less items. The set takes a little over 5 minutes to assemble mainly due to the rims, tires & stickers. I like the design of how the tires are held on. It gives the affect of 4 wheel independent suspension . Good design and stronger than other vehicles.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:10:09 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:54 »
The decals that came with it are pretty nice. I like the Alaskan license plate design. I was sad to see no decal to simulate a grill and I think one should have been added. The vet SUV looks more complete with it. It is an easy fix with an order from DS . There is a nice part that came for securing the canoe to the rack. It is similar to the camera strap but in black. It has 2 ends that clip onto any thing a Klicky can hold. I believe this is the same one that came with the Egyptians but in a new color.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:43:32 by Rasputin »

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:13:08 »
Once assembled it is a nice looking set. You will notice that I chose to keep most decals off. I like a cleaner look and will just save them for later. There is a nice canoe, we could always use more trees, a moose and the SUV, though convertible it is a beautiful color. One odd thing is there is a System X plug on top of the roll bars and perhaps it is for future sets ? The Klicky has a lot of print and is a very outdoorsy modern look. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:45:15 by Rasputin »

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:13:18 »
The main difference from this set is the new rear compartment and roll bar. In the picture is looks very chrome and Playmobil has done this in the past. I am disappointed in there attempts to misrepresent the colors. The tray w/spare tire holder is easily removable and not necessary, unless you get a flat. I think it looks better with out.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:58:29 by Rasputin »

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:26:25 »
Now to the dislikes. I think for a true Alaskan outdoors-man he should have been armed to the teeth. A gun for every day of the week. Some camping gear would have been nice also. This set is already inexpensive so I really am not disappointed but come on, he has no survival gear.

Now the powder blue or baby blue, what ever kind of blue it is, it has to go. No "Man" would be caught dead with a color hat like that, especially on a outdoor expedition. I think gray looked better. Easy fix so no real problem.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:14:00 by Rasputin »

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:42:56 »
Now it is a great set and for $20 it is a great value . It gives kids two vehicles, a tree and a large moose. I think this set  should sell like hotcakes and I really like the colors. Good job Playmobil. Now just get your outdoors-man to look right, paddle right, tie the boat correctly & most importantly give him a dog, it gets really lonely out there in the woods.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:07:42 by Rasputin »

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:47:14 »
Great review Rasputin! The pictures are great and I really like the different angles,I have to say you are sure right about that hat!  :lol: Regarding his armament, you have to remember this is a European set, most people have probably not seen that much firepower and I think this set would go very well with the camping tent accessory pack (love the dog).

I am not keen on having an SUV around but I do like that color and I love moose, so I guess here we go to Target.  :-[

Gepetto

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:53:19 »
Decent set & excellent upgrades you have added  :)9! I like to see the hunter skinning the bear, nice touch  ;)!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 04:01:40 »
I figured that old cap was bad, it didn't say John Deere in the front.